What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger05

First Grade
I was going to write just before masons first game at fullback last week..”he will become undroppable” …Not from any great knowledge just a hunch and hope ..I still think it but more so. we’ve won twice with him there. perhaps not insignificant

I think at this point Bula is better and considerably better. Mason looks good but he has too many mistakes in him.

I had a look at our squad and I think Bird could be okay on a fair contract to us. We do have heaps of kids.

Nutz

Bench
We just have to bide our time waiting patiently to pounce when the right fit for us forwards come on the market.
Yeh I'm not convinced that buying non marquee players is a good idea regardless of their experience. We've done that so many times before and it's not a good model. There's not enough room here to post all the flop signings.
We can carry over a portion of our cap money to next year so patience seems to be the best option.

WA Tiger

Bench
I think at this point Bula is better and considerably better. Mason looks good but he has too many mistakes in him.

I had a look at our squad and I think Bird could be okay on a fair contract to us. We do have heaps of kids.
I’m not saying mason will stay at fullback..just that he can’t be dropped

Tiger05

First Grade
I’m not saying mason will stay at fullback..just that he can’t be dropped

You reckon. I think he had a good game but geez he had some shocking moments. If Bula was available I'd slot him straight back in.

He has an opportunity now but I don't think he has done anywhere near enough to hold onto the fullback spot.

gordsy

Juniors
Mason seems like he's too small for first grade at the moment. If he was Jamie Soward type then yeah sure but I can't see him being our fullback anytime soon. .

BrotherJim05

Bench
Mason went good. Not amazing or anything, just good. He's still very green, but coming along well. He will be our reserve grade fullback next year and slot into FG when needed, although I imagine he will be third string behind Turuva

Nutz

Bench
Mason went good. Not amazing or anything, just good. He's still very green, but coming along well. He will be our reserve grade fullback next year and slot into FG when needed, although I imagine he will be third string behind Turuva
Yep, third string at fullback and in the halves.
It wouldn't surprise me if he gets signed on potential elsewhere.
I've watched him in lower grades and he did alright but a stepup to fullback in the NRL seems too daunting a task.
I can't see him outleaping a Lomax at the back as he doesn't have the physicality to compete.
It's also apparent that covering tackles is not his forte.
His goal-line defence was tested when he jumped upwards and arm grabbed a crash ball from Turbo Tom. Being short is no excuse. Mason has a more muscular body than Gillmeister and Gilly thrived with front on tackling. The technique of squaring up the shoulders, bending the legs and driving under the ball and upwards.
Players these days have forgotten how to do this type of tackle.
If he wants to be a fullback he needs to fix up these three areas,
1. Sprint to the corner in cover D
2. Be safe under the high ball and
3. Be better at front on tackling.
Apart from that, he's very elusive runner with heaps of potential.
Depending on how things shake out next year with players form and injuries this will shape his development I guess.

Tigerm

Coach
Yep, third string at fullback and in the halves.
It wouldn't surprise me if he gets signed on potential elsewhere.
I've watched him in lower grades and he did alright but a stepup to fullback in the NRL seems too daunting a task.
I can't see him outleaping a Lomax at the back as he doesn't have the physicality to compete.
It's also apparent that covering tackles is not his forte.
His goal-line defence was tested when he jumped upwards and arm grabbed a crash ball from Turbo Tom. Being short is no excuse. Mason has a more muscular body than Gillmeister and Gilly thrived with front on tackling. The technique of squaring up the shoulders, bending the legs and driving under the ball and upwards.
Players these days have forgotten how to do this type of tackle.
If he wants to be a fullback he needs to fix up these three areas,
1. Sprint to the corner in cover D
2. Be safe under the high ball and
3. Be better at front on tackling.
Apart from that, he's very elusive runner with heaps of potential.
Depending on how things shake out next year with players form and injuries this will shape his development I guess.
He's 19 yo, who has played 6 games. Bula is 22 yo, who has played 39 games.

IMO, both have nowhere near peaked in their development as a footy player, in fact they are still learning what top tier footy is all about. That goes for all our kids.

We need to give both time, but agree, at this time, FB is Bula's to lose and I don't see that happening.

But we have had plenty of good small FB's in the past.

Nutz

Bench
He's 19 yo, who has played 6 games. Bula is 22 yo, who has played 39 games.

IMO, both have nowhere near peaked in their development as a footy player, in fact they are still learning what top tier footy is all about. That goes for all our kids.

We need to give both time, but agree, at this time, FB is Bula's to lose and I don't see that happening.

But we have had plenty of good small FB's in the past.
I'll reserve my judgement on this one.
As you said he's a baby but at this stage he doesn't have the attributes of other small fullbacks like Kini.

Das Hassler

Bench
I reckon we should be 16th at the moment :), we have won more games than Parra, for and against should only be used if the number of wins are equal IMO :)

That's actually how it is already....everyone gets the same bye points so you can only be ahead with more wins or draws...equal wins and it's P/D

Vic Mackey

Referee
Anyone heard anything about us releasing Onitoni & Ashton Large to South Sydney ?

Rumour been going round for a week or so. Onitoni is under contract for 3 more years I believe. Apparently he (his parents) have had a cry about us signing Luai and Galvin long term. Not a great look for a 16 year old. We debuted him in Flegg on the weekend so doubt wed do that if he was on the way out.

Tigerm

Coach
Rumour been going round for a week or so. Onitoni is under contract for 3 more years I believe. Apparently he (his parents) have had a cry about us signing Luai and Galvin long term. Not a great look for a 16 year old. We debuted him in Flegg on the weekend so doubt wed do that if he was on the way out.
So when Luai’s contract is finished, he’ll be 21?
Just ready to take over, if he’s good enough.
Sounds like someone is in his ear, telling him he’s ready for FG.
Glad we have Richo running the show, others may let him walk now.

Vic Mackey

Referee

I dont get it, what better mentor could a young half have then Jahrome Luai? As you say learn under him then hit the ground running when hes done. Dont get kids these days.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
From the NRL webb site

Wests Tigers have announced the signing of seven players they hope will eventually progress into their top squad.

Emerging forward Lachlan Broederlow has signed a two-year deal that will see him progress to a development contract in 2026.

Switzerland-born prop Tim Johannssen will remain with the club for the next two years, while Jaxson Rahme, Kobie Wilson, Vaka Aho, Tristan Hope and Eiden Ackland complete the signings for coach Benji Marshall.

Nutz

Bench
Screenshot_20240826_192928_Photo Editor.jpg
I wonder if we are a chance of luring Knights forward Leo Thompson who is reportedly weighing up testing the open market from November 1.
The young gun, who can play at either lock or prop, has been one of the bright lights for the Knights ever since he debuted, and has been in fine form again throughout the 2024 campaign despite the club's overall struggles.
He's signed with the Knights till end of 2025 but the Knights are offloading players to stay under the cap.....you know the rules, there is none ;)

Nutz

Bench
It sounds like we're running a bloody kindergarten.

Nutz

Bench
[FONT=Open Sans, Open Sans Regular, sans-serif]ZEROTACKLE....[/FONT]
Wests Tigers are making bold moves to revamp their squad for the 2024 season, actively pursuing the signings Jack Bird, Corey Horsburgh and Royce Hunt.
Bird brings versatility and experience, and has already met with Tigers boss Shane Richardson to discuss a potential two-year deal.

His ability to fill multiple positions and bring leadership qualities make him an attractive option for the Tigers, who are keen to bring in seasoned players capable of mentoring their younger talent.
The Tigers will be keen for Bird to put a chequered injury history in the past if he is to arrive and have an impact.
Corey Horsburgh enjoyed his debut in State of Origin last year and is likely to leave Canberra. He has already held discussions with the Bulldogs and Broncos, but the Tigers appear to be his best bet financially.
Currently in Cronulla's top 30 prop Royce Hunt has been given permission to explore his options for the 2026 season, and the shire-based team may consider releasing him early if they receive adequate compensation.
Hunt is seeking a multi-year deal as it could potentially be his last contract in the NRL.
I've revised my opinions of these guys and I wouldn't slit my wrists if they they came at the right price with a club option. To this end I wouldn't be throwing in cash for Hunt to get him next year.
I'd rather carry over the max unused cap allowable to next year so if a marquee player falls into our lap we'll have the cash.

Pezz70

Juniors
That's actually how it is already....everyone gets the same bye points so you can only be ahead with more wins or draws...equal wins and it's P/D
That’s the way it should be but the table I’ve looked at say we’re 17th, maybe cause we’ve played one more game

Latest posts