What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Hunt seems like the complete opposite sort of player to Twal. I could see these two forming a good combination of the bench - a workhorse and a complete nutter.

The rumours are still pretty strong about Horsbrouh as well. What a huge addition he would be:

1. Bula
2. Steines
3. Turuva
4. Olam
5. Skelton
6. Galvin
7. Luai
8. Klemmer
9. Api
10. Pole
11. Fainu
12. Bateman*
13. Horsbrouh

14. TDS
15. Hunt
16. Twal
17. Seyfarth

* I heard that Bateman isn't coming back, but if that's the case then we will have more cash to sign a new back rower to replace him

All in all, massively improved side to what we have this year...at least on paper

Tiger05

First Grade
Hunt seems like the complete opposite sort of player to Twal. I could see these two forming a good combination of the bench - a workhorse and a complete nutter.

The rumours are still pretty strong about Horsbrouh as well. What a huge addition he would be:

1. Bula
2. Steines
3. Turuva
4. Olam
5. Skelton
6. Galvin
7. Luai
8. Klemmer
9. Api
10. Pole
11. Fainu
12. Bateman*
13. Horsbrouh

14. TDS
15. Hunt
16. Twal
17. Seyfarth

* I heard that Bateman isn't coming back, but if that's the case then we will have more cash to sign a new back rower to replace him

All in all, massively improved side to what we have this year...at least on paper

I reckon we need to find a spot for Latu and even Sione. I reckon they both deserve a spot. That backline looks massively improved.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Royce Hunt called Corey Horsburgh a ‘weak-gutted dog’. Now he hopes they become teammates
By Christian Nicolussi
September 3, 2024 — 7.46pm

Royce Hunt has inked a three-year deal with the Wests Tigers – now he hopes to be joined by one-time nemesis, and the man he famously labelled a “weak-gutted dog”, Corey Horsburgh.

The Tigers announced on Tuesday they had signed Hunt until the end of 2027 after Cronulla agreed to cut the Samoan international loose from the remaining 12 months of his deal.

Hunt will add some experience and grunt to the pack – and if things go to plan, fiery Raiders forward Horsburgh will be joining him at the joint venture next year.

The pair memorably clashed during a game in 2023, with Hunt saying at the time, “I’ve never seen a front-rower hide behind his halfback”. Horsburgh later posted a meme of him holding a baby, with Hunt’s face superimposed, and the caption: “Really happy for my little boy watching Daddy score two tries”.

Horsburgh was suspended for the return bout late last season, but Hunt told this masthead at the time: “I still have a debt to settle with him. Hopefully he doesn’t cry this time. If he wants a challenge, we’ll lock horns and see who comes out on top. I’m a bit heavier than him. He’s got that ‘dad bod’.”

Hunt was delighted to have sorted his future, and said he would love the chance to strike up an on-field combination with ‘Big Red’.

“I spoke to their recruitment guy and [the Tigers] are keen on Big Red. He’s a good guy and would be a great buy,” Hunt told this masthead. “I was actually at Canberra with him for a while. We’re two guys who won’t back down. If they get him, we can go there and ramp up their forward pack.

“I’m sure we’ll get into the wrestling room and throw down a few times. I haven’t seen him since that game in Canberra.”

The 29-year-old met with Tigers coach Benji Marshall at a local cafe in Padstow, and liked his vision. Jarome Luai, a fellow Samoan, is also bound for Concord next year and Dragons utility Jack Bird was spotted taking a tour of the Tigers’ facilities on Tuesday.

“I met Benji on Monday last week, and it moved really fast. It was pretty much done Tuesday. He was pretty cool. He said to me there were a lot of kids, and he wanted someone with experience to get to that next level.

“I told him, ‘I can help you with that’, and how at the Sharks we had built a good culture where the young boys weren’t afraid to ask for help, and they know ‘steel sharpens steel’. If they come for our spots every week, it makes the older boys better, the younger boys better, and it raises the overall standards at the club.

“He also spoke about me wanting to play more minutes, and I told him I’d earn every minute you give me.”

Hunt was given permission to test the market in June because of the abundance of middle forwards at Cronulla.

After the Sharks added Addin Fonua-Blake to a pack that already featured Braden Hamlin-Uele, Tom Hazelton, Oregon Kaufusi, Toby Rudolf, Jack Williams and Jesse Colquhoun, Hunt was resigned to continuing his career elsewhere.

South Sydney showed brief interest, but the Tigers moved quickly following the departures of middle men Stefano Utoikamanu and Isaiah Papali’i, who play their last games on Friday at a packed Campbelltown Sports Stadium before linking with Melbourne and Penrith respectively.

Pezz70

Juniors
Not real sure about Hunt signing, he is pretty run of the mill, low minutes guy, a dime a dozen, and really a two year deal should’ve been max. We shouldn’t be signing three year deals with journeymen style players, that sort of deal should be reserved for talented youngsters or marquee players. We really need some dudes with proper grunt, big 80 minute motors. Hope he comes up trumps.

Nutz

Bench
I reckon we need to find a spot for Latu and even Sione. I reckon they both deserve a spot. That backline looks massively improved.
I'm going on record by saying Latu Fainu will be our long term bench utility. Taylan DaSilva is a great cover for Api if injured or rep, in that case both Latu and Taylan could play.
Also I think Latu is more versatile than Sullivan. I'm unsure what's going to happen with him.
The club made a big investment in Latu and I can't see him sitting in reserve grade waiting for Luia or Galvin to be unavailable.
DaSilva is a future star but I think another year in KOE will develop him to be Api's long term replacement.
I also don't like carry two hookers/utilities on the bench. You have to have workhorses and impact forwards.
Latu could just about play anwhere.
Call me crazy...it's just a gut feeling I'm having.

Nutz

Bench
Not real sure about Hunt signing, he is pretty run of the mill, low minutes guy, a dime a dozen, and really a two year deal should’ve been max. We shouldn’t be signing three year deals with journeymen style players, that sort of deal should be reserved for talented youngsters or marquee players. We really need some dudes with proper grunt, big 80 minute motors. Hope he comes up trumps.
I can't agree with this. He's exactly what we need. Benji has also asked him in his meeting if he can play more minutes and he said he's up to it. A big off season instore for him.
We need a impact player, someone who can bend the line especially in the red zone. Luai and Galvin will play off the back off that.

Tigerm

Coach
I'm going on record by saying Latu Fainu will be our long term bench utility. Taylan DaSilva is a great cover for Api if injured or rep, in that case both Latu and Taylan could play.
Also I think Latu is more versatile than Sullivan. I'm unsure what's going to happen with him.
The club made a big investment in Latu and I can't see him sitting in reserve grade waiting for Luia or Galvin to be unavailable.
DaSilva is a future star but I think another year in KOE will develop him to be Api's long term replacement.
I also don't like carry two hookers/utilities on the bench. You have to have workhorses and impact forwards.
Latu could just about play anwhere.
Call me crazy...it's just a gut feeling I'm having.
I thought you were Nutz, not crazy hahaha

Pezz70

Juniors
I can't agree with this. He's exactly what we need. Benji has also asked him in his meeting if he can play more minutes and he said he's up to it. A big off season instore for him.
We need a impact player, someone who can bend the line especially in the red zone. Luai and Galvin will play off the back off that.
I hope you’re proven right, but I think I will be 😂. Benji was instrumental is signing Jayden Sullivan, I have nothing against Sullivan but he is proof that Benji probably shouldn’t be the one signing the talent. I don’t think Hunt is a dud by any means, I just don’t think he is our man, he is 29 years old has played the way he plays his whole career, it’s hard work teaching an old dog new tricks. I would rather have spent a few more dollars on RCG, whose style I think would suit us and he can play a few more minute than Royce.

Royce has averaged 6 runs for 63m and 13 tackles a game this year. RCG 13 runs 124m 28 tackles more tackle breaks, more line breaks & line break assists and far less errors.

Stats aren’t everything but everything Hunt offers we already have. He’s very average in a pack that is a cut above ours, he plays off the back of a pack that has pretty good go forward and still returns bog average stats. Anyways I’ll be happy to have a big serve of humble pie if he cuts the mustard.

I love Horsburgh too but I wouldn’t sign him now we have Hunt. They’re sort of the same, Horsburgh is a better player than Hunt. The next forward has to be a proper meat axe with a some ball skills - Jai Arrow, Victor Radley, Cam Murray, Angus Crichton or Liam Martin style would be great for us, or alternatively a rangy ball player like Isaiah Yeo, Sean Lane and I really think Kai Pearce- Paul has the talent to be a freak

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I thought you were Nutz, not crazy hahaha
Well remember I started the Hunt campaign ages ago and if he turns out a bad signing I'll never make another prediction, we'll not on LU ;)
But as far as Latu is concerned, you tell me what else do you do with one of the best younger footballers we have signed for a while, he is better than what people think.
Watch his highlight packages, and watch his dummy half passing left and right in the world cup, watch his tackling. He has utility written all over him.
If this turns out wrong then I'll double down on not predicting things :)

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
I hope you’re proven right, but I think I will be 😂. Benji was instrumental is signing Jayden Sullivan, I have nothing against Sullivan but he is proof that Benji probably shouldn’t be the one signing the talent. I don’t think Hunt is a dud by any means, I just don’t think he is our man, he is 29 years old has played the way he plays his whole career, it’s hard work teaching an old dog new tricks. I would rather have spent a few more dollars on RCG, who’s style I think would suit us and he can play a few more minute than Royce.
How old is Regan? 31 or so. Averages around 50min.

Tigerm

Coach
Well remember I started the Hunt campaign ages ago and if he turns out a bad signing I'll never make another prediction, we'll not on LU ;)
But as far as Latu is concerned, you tell me what else do you do with one if the best younger footballers we have signed for a while, he is better than what people think.
Watch his highlight packages, and watch his dummy half passing left and right in the world cup, watch his tackling. He has utility written all over him.
If this turns out wrong then I'll double down on not predicting things :)
Can’t disagree, but imo, he probably needs a year or two before we pump his tyres too high.
I think Luai will make our kids rise to another level, I just hope his manager or the family don’t make his head swell too early.
But we’ve certainly got some talent coming in our juniors though.

Nutz

Bench
Can’t disagree, but imo, he probably needs a year or two before we pump his tyres too high.
I think Luai will make our kids rise to another level, I just hope his manager or the family don’t make his head swell too early.
But we’ve certainly got some talent coming in our juniors though.
I hear you, I'm not pumping his tyres up I just think Latu's body has matured a little more than DaSilva and I think Taylan can still play 80min in KOE and learn more of his trade before taking over from Api....that's what we want isn't it, someone who knows the system and slot straight in. As I said if it goes the way I described he would still get 4 or so games in the NRL next year regardless.

Pezz70

Juniors
I hear you, I'm not pumping his tyres up I just think Latu's body has matured a little more than DaSilva and I think Taylan can still play 80min in KOE and learn more of his trade before taking over from Api....that's what we want isn't it, someone who knows the system and slot straight in. As I said if it goes the way I described he would still get 4 or so games in the NRL next year regardless.
Da Silva is a once in a generation player, the kid will play origin (if he gets into a competitive side) I think he will be better footballer than Harry Grant and Korisau. I’d love to see Da Silva develop a kick from dummy half. We need to keep him at all costs. I don’t rate Latu as highly but he does have some versatility and the club has painted itself into a bit of a corner by signing those three brothers, don’t get me wrong they’re all reasonable players, just if you have to offload one you run the risk of the others sulking, millennials can sulk.

Nutz

Bench
Da Silva is a once in a generation player, the kid will play origin (if he gets into a competitive side) I think he will be better footballer than Harry Grant and Korisau. I’d love to see Da Silva develop a kick from dummy half. We need to keep him at all costs. I don’t rate Latu as highly but he does have some versatility and the club has painted itself into a bit of a corner by signing those three brothers, don’t get me wrong they’re all reasonable players, just if you have to offload one you run the risk of the others sulking, millennials can sulk.
The club won't offload Latu or DaSilva. Both of them are our future. I know from experience that when you have options you have to use them because one day you may not, if you plan for this then it will work out.
Both need to knuckle down and do what the club needs, which I'm sure they will.

Sorry late edit as I now know what you meant.
There's only one Fainu that could've not signed and that's Sione...but he's played well and if he hasn't burst the bank I'd keep him. Samuela Fainu was close to our best this year imo.

Last edited:

Latest posts