What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours thread

possm

Coach
With regards to Jennings, in my opinion this is the way it is:

Jennings wants out but won't agree to lose discount his current contract money. He also wants his brothers to come with him where ever he goes.

Panthers want to cut him because he is disruptive and he takes up too much of their salary cap. The Panters want Jennings to move-on without their club having to pay any compensation. They also don't want to release his brothers.

The Dragons want him however, Doust does not want to sign a contract that honours his current deal in full but is happy to take his brothers in a package deal.

So unless the Panthers or Jennings move on these two sticking points, I doube Jennings will be coming to the Dragons.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
It's all about the dollars his brothers are irrelevant.. Currently he is on a rumored 700k a season... Hence the panthers wanting to release him, dragons are only interested IMO if they can get him for approx 400k and the panthers continue to pay the remaining 300k of his current contract. Panthers won't budge on this...And neither will Jennings cop a large pay cut until his contract expires when he won't have a choice as no one will pay 700k for him at that point

jenninga

First Grade
The Dragons actually made an offer for Sonny Bill ,the Rooters offer was a better one so they get to put up with the crap that will come with him.

stg666

Juniors
bugger this. forget the jennings clan and go all out to get rangi back pronto . the halves is where we are lacking .

st.phil

Bench
Tony Caine re-ignited the Jennings to Dragons rumour by mentioning it on the Game Plan last week...honestly there is so much smoke in the media it's pointless to take much at all to heart until it appears on the Dragons website

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
Tony Caine re-ignited the Jennings to Dragons rumour by mentioning it on the Game Plan last week...honestly there is so much smoke in the media it's pointless to take much at all to heart until it appears on the Dragons website

Is Tony related to Joel by any chance ?;-)

nrlnrl

First Grade

mmmmm - when these players are "in demand" or unhappy, with rumours being spread, is there anyone else who would benefit from their price being increased ?

st.phil

Bench
Nrl...I'd say most certainly. Leaking info to generate rumours must now surely be in every managers arsenal.

Again - the Dragons never sign players like Jennings...it is more often than not just smoke. Happy to be proven wrong but this is the rumours thread so it's why I shared.

Hutty1986

Immortal
1. We can't afford him.
2. He's a peaheart who barely performs at club level and just bludges out wide, waiting for the footy to come to him.

Minh

First Grade
He is not worth the 700K that he was supposedly on. That is Greg Inglis type of money and Inglis is so much better even though Jennings is very good.

st.phil

Bench
Blake Ayshford is the latest linked - way better bang for buck right centre than jennings who "they say" is headed to the tigers...

Yes...they

RedVDave

First Grade
I've heard a few people around here throwing around Bronson Harrison's name as well, that one could very well be true our plan of buying a horde of Canberra players makes sense so we can finally beat them over there.

-Goodwin
-Vidot
-Weyman
-Miller
-Harrison*

gypsy

Bench
apologies if this has been covered in recent times, but does anyone know
the details of why Marketo was let go by the club?
I only heard Doust saying something about him disappointing his team mates.

If anyone knows the story I would appreciate it, I was starting to rate his impact in the NRL.

Breathingfire

Juniors
I was wondering that myself...I think he had some defensive inadequacies that seem to go unnoticed by some critiquing his impact...he could run with gusto and that was about it IMO.

Mr Red

First Grade
apologies if this has been covered in recent times, but does anyone know
the details of why Marketo was let go by the club?
I only heard Doust saying something about him disappointing his team mates.

If anyone knows the story I would appreciate it, I was starting to rate his impact in the NRL.

they were very close to agreeing on a new 2 year deal with Marketo when there was a discipline issue and negotiations were ceased.
i doubt that the exact nature of the issue will be released, however it sounds pretty big - no warnings, one strike and you're out.
the fact that Doust mentioned the he dissapointed the players indicates to me that the leadership group would have been consulted and based upon what Marketo did, they recommended that they didnt want to play with him next season...

just my thoughts...

st.phil

Bench
Here's another theory - the coaching staff don't think he has what it takes and gleefully jumped at the chance to kill it off...I think if he truly had the goods it might well have been a different matter. He is willing - but defensively a bit suss and needs to find a position - overpowered in the second row I think lock is the only option for him. At saints he is behind matthews, prior, de belin and maybe even Merrin if the talk is true he's heading to lock. Just saying...

Latest posts