What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

dragonssamy61

First Grade
This is true and they are not the only club doing it . Our lot are as dumb as dog SH*T when it comes to re signing players . Need to smarten up and work out how the rest do it ( they are getting away with it ) or continue to loose good players ......

Hazz agree it because we don't or can't attract enough third-partys .

I just told my 12 year old son, that it looks like Russell Packer has signed with the Tigers.
His response 'Nooooo, nooooo, nooooo. Why!!!?' I said there offering him more money, he needs to look after his family'.
I also mentioned he'd be playing with his best mate and a coach he respects.
I'm shattered too.

Crush

Coach
I think its alot about mentality and belief as a group more than pure personnel. If we lose Packer and Dugan we can still be a great team if the mood is right, so to speak.
Look at the Raiders. Last year finished 2nd and went on a roll. This year, no changes to squad, 4 wins 6 losses thus far.
Its not all about the roster.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Packer will be a big loss, he is a harden forward who doesnt take a backwards step, very hard to find one, sure we have some good ones in the lower grades but not the same class as Packer, look at when Sims & LAM come on to replace our starting props not the same impact, such a shame we won't see him in the Red V, what could have been....

At the end of the day if he does go thats on him and not the club.

I look at it this way to Morris left and since then he has become injury prone and not the same player he was at the Dragons.

Merrin looks a shadow of his former self in a team go backwards at an alarming rate.

Last but not least Rein all's i can do is laugh at him he was such a dill.

Bird, Prior and Beale have benefited at the Sharks but Bird has chased the dollar so he is nothing but a mercenary.

The Dragons will move on regardless.

Gareth67

First Grade
There was suppose to an announcement on his signing , I believe it was to be Saturday now gone . The new date is for tomorrow , Monday .

Should he leave , I just need to know that the Dragons had indeed done their utmost in attempting to resign the man .

The reported offer was for a 3 year term , which does surprise me , as I truly believed that a fella like young Russell , who would strike the fear of the good lord into anyone , would be signed on a long term contract , possibly 4 years with an option for a 5 th .

However , we shall know soon enough , whatever his decision may be , at least he earned his money with the Dragons , and his toughness against opposition forwards , certainly put a smile on my face on many a occasion .

Last edited:
Wholehearted performer. Has all the attributes every club needs.

Mongrel, power running, excellent defender, passionate.

Am sure we will all be shattered if he has in fact signed with the Tigers.

Until we hear such an announcement our club is still a chance of retaining him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Gotta say I'm a bit surprised at amount of dragons fans fairly upset over packer leaving. To me he's a good first grade prop but is he really that great? Doesn't massively stand out to me. On the other hand give me Vaughan and I'd be doing cartwheels.

Clifferd

Coach
There was suppose to an announcement on his signing , I believe it was to be Saturday now gone . The new date is for tomorrow , Monday .

Should he leave , I just need to know that the Dragons had indeed done their utmost in attempting to resign the man .

The reported offer was for a 3 year term , which does surprise me , as I truly believed that a fella like young Russell , who would strike the fear of the good lord into anyone , would be signed on a long term contract , possibly 4 years with an option for a 5 th .

However , we shall know soon enough , whatever his decision may be , at least he earned his money with the Dragons , and his toughness against opposition forwards , certainly put a smile on my face on many a occasion .

NRL runs like a business Mon-Friday hence why it wasn't announced over the weekend. And it wasn't going to be announced on Friday before the Dragons game

Supposedly will be approved and announced tomorrow (well today) so we'll see

Sucks for you guys if you lose him, looked like at home with you dudes

barry

Bench
I know 300k over three years is a lot of money, but isn't it every players dream to win a premiership ?

Apparently our offer is 600k and the tigers is 700k, is it worth accepting less then 100k per year to stay with the club that you've worked and built a premiership contending team?

For some players I guess it is just a business and at the end of the day are just there to make ends meat and don't have a title dream in mind. I guess packer is happy to retire without a premiership

Latest posts