What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Gareth67

First Grade
If Millard is going to get Duges signed before Packer as he stated previously we run the risk of Losing Packet
Duges set himself the time for resolving his contract. That time has been and gone.
So move on Packer now and get him signed.

Agree , agree and agree once again . He did set the original time , way back in February or thereabouts . So many others have voiced exactly the same sentiments as yourself 2010 , we need to move on with the resigning of Big Russ NOW !

I have a horrible feeling that our 'big 3' manager is playing both sides of the fence , Dugan with the Dragons and Packer with the Lord knows whom . Our recruitment needs to clear the decks and tell the manager that Packer is now the clubs priority .

He , as we all know , is a vital part of the forward pack and as such the club must leave no stone unturned in its attempt to resign the man . Continue with Duges negotiations after Packer , at least then , we will know that we have given it our best shot .

possm

Coach
Prior has re-signed with the Sharks for a further 4 years.

If we lose Packer, the club needs to groom Lawrie to take his place, or try and lock up players like Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Joe Ofahengaue or Jai Arrow.

Melbourne will most likely re-sign NAS, but if we could pull a sneaky one and whip him from under their nose, it would be a HUGE buy. He could be one of the best props in the world in a few years.
We need to sign Packer - more important than signing Dugan. Packer is battle hardened and exactly what our 'power game' needs. The problem is that we have some future champion props already - Sele, Kerr and Lawrie. If Packer signs with the Tigers, we will need a top grade prop to replace him.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agree , agree and agree once again . He did set the original time , way back in February or thereabouts . So many others have voiced exactly the same sentiments as yourself 2010 , we need to move on with the resigning of Big Russ NOW !

I have a horrible feeling that our 'big 3' manager is playing both sides of the fence , Dugan with the Dragons and Packer with the Lord knows whom . Our recruitment needs to clear the decks and tell the manager that Packer is now the clubs priority .

He , as we all know , is a vital part of the forward pack and as such the club must leave no stone unturned in its attempt to resign the man . Continue with Duges negotiations after Packer , at least then , we will know that we have given it our best shot .

Gareth
I agree with you and 2010 and the rest.
Let's go to duges manager a say you have to decide in the next 3 weeks.
While he is injured get it done.
And get on with packer and the rest.
To be honest I don't want to lose anyone.
But we can not lose players waiting for one player's manager.

monsterkev

Juniors
Not really fussed either way if packer leaves or stays as we have players coming through who can fill his position for a fraction of the price
The longer it drags out the more likely he will leave
Blood a forward from the lower grades now in preparation

possm

Coach
Gareth
I agree with you and 2010 and the rest.
Let's go to duges manager a say you have to decide in the next 3 weeks.
While he is injured get it done.
And get on with packer and the rest.
To be honest I don't want to lose anyone.
But we can not lose players waiting for one player's manager.
They could have done that long ago. The reason for the wanting to sign Dugan first is that if he signs, they do not have cap left for some of the remaining players.

Dugan must have an indication from the Dogs that if they can offlead say Hoppa and a few others, they are prepared to sign Dugan. So stall, stall, stall until in the end accept the Dragon's offer or sign with the Dogs.

In the meantime Woods is signed by the Dogs and so the Tigers become very interested in Packer.

We could end up losing both Dugan and Packer, we may end up with one and yes we may get lucky and retain both players. The decision seems to be in the control of the manager and others.

It is now time to reclaim control and have the Dragons in control. Withdraw the Dugan offer and extend Packer. If the player manager refuses to move forward with Packers contract you can quickly realise what is going on. If Packer signs, then table another affordable offer to Dugan or sign someone else.

denis preston

First Grade
It is not as if Packer has no say in what his manager is doing.You would think that he is very settled and just needs a offer that doesn't tempt him away.We should be able to get him cheaper than the Tigers can.

Carlton

Juniors
I have no inside knowledge but one scenario that worries me is that the club is playing cute with Dugan hoping they get him cheap and that they can't sign Packer in case they need to pay fullback money to someone from outside the club. My fear is that the game being played may deliver both or neither, I would hate to see us lose both.

The differing public statements from Millward and Mary indicate that there is a disagreement about how the contract negotiations are being conducted.

The calm one

Juniors
Not really fussed either way if packer leaves or stays as we have players coming through who can fill his position for a fraction of the price
Blooding a young forward to get to Packers level will take two or three seasons if he reaches that level at all. It doesn't happen overnight

monsterkev

Juniors
Blooding a young forward to get to Packers level will take two or three seasons if he reaches that level at all. It doesn't happen overnight
If packer goes then someone has to step up
I don't know how many forwards are available or that would play for us
Besides one of the interchange forwards would probably get a start then bring in a lower grade player on the bench

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So far the retention team is doing a great job and they have signed up everyone we wanted to keep.

If they lose Duges or Packer (or both) I think it won't be the end of the world as they will have another player in mind. Of the 2 I would rather lose Packer. Saints have cover for him, where as Duges is closer to an elite player than Packer will be. Duges has the makings of a great centre. Proof of that is in the test/origin games.

Gareth67

First Grade
Both players are of tremendous value to our team , but in different ways . Dugan , a seasoned international whom can find his way to the try line , as well as having rock-solid defence .

Packer , imo , is also just as inspirational , but more so to the forward pack . He gives the team that go forward momentum and of course that much needed ' mongrel ' that has been missing for many a year . He is the Dragons hardman , that other opposition players fear , thus giving us respectability up front , more so when the going gets tough .

2 true Dragons , I would hate to lose either .

Last edited:

BradMackay

Juniors
After all we've done for Packer, him leaving us for a bit more money would be like a stomp to the face
We can't have it both ways as Ben Hunt joined us because we made an offer he couldn't refuse financially. The Tigers have the cash to offer Packer way more then Saints so good luck to Russell if he wants to take the cash and miss out on a premiership window at the Tigers.

grouch

First Grade
We can't have it both ways as Ben Hunt joined us because we made an offer he couldn't refuse financially. The Tigers have the cash to offer Packer way more then Saints so good luck to Russell if he wants to take the cash and miss out on a premiership window at the Tigers.
Disagree. It's a total stomp to the face. Unprovoked.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Disagree. It's a total stomp to the face. Unprovoked.

I'll second the motion.

He'd be giving up on winning a premiership whether it be this year or next.
He'd be giving up living on the glorious south coast, with it beaches and away from the main rat race of Sydney.
He'd be giving up wearing the famous red V. ( for some of us, that means a lot )

Conclusion - He'd have to be a flipping idiot ......... all for a few bob extra, not to mention we put him into college and got him on the straight and narrow, what...... just to take off to the Tigers?

Surely he can't be that money hungry ........... and don't call me Shirley!

I haven't seen anywhere that has actually said his manager has even spoken to the Tigers.

It was a rumour they have some interest and thats all its been so far.

Rusty himself has stated he wants to stay that he owes the club alot so this is just my opinon i see him staying for the fact he has still more to prove and redemption.

Old Timer

Coach
Other than media talk by a bunch of nuffies what evidence is there to say Packer is considering going elsewhere?
The success rate of reporters in player movements is appallingly bad so let's not feed the wankers by thinking about or discussing it
Big Russell will keep his head down playing good footy and give his decision plenty of worthwhile consideration and no doubt he will make a decision based on good reasoning.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
So we sign this guy from jail, take him in, help him to rebuild his life and at the same time attain a prop who could help take us to a premiership, and then just let him go....we need to hold onto this guy if we are serious.

mobels

Juniors
“The Tigers have tabled a four-year-deal worth about $700,000-a-season,” Hooper told NRL Tonight.

Tigers have thrown ridiculous overs for him if true, I love Packer and what he's done for the team but 700k is a bit too much for him.

Latest posts