What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russia withdraw from WC Qualifier v Scotland

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Initially they favoured rugby league. Think the rugby union influence exerted at higher levels caught wind of rugby league's progress and did their thing! Another example of repressing rugby league at play.
There is always some truth to this, but I think you severely underestimate the incompetence of league admin. You only have to look at the NRL in Australia which has all the advantages over union at present and their incompetence is still pretty significant.

Let's just say there is a lot more evidence of pure league incompetence than union meddling.

adamkungl

Immortal
There is always some truth to this, but I think you severely underestimate the incompetence of league admin. You only have to look at the NRL in Australia which has all the advantages over union at present and their incompetence is still pretty significant.

Let's just say there is a lot more evidence of pure league incompetence than union meddling.

League incompetence is responsible for 99.9% of its failings

adamkungl

Immortal
Re: Serbia
Does anyone think they have a chance of getting any NRL players to turn out for them in October-November? Safe to say Jake and Tom T won't as they'll be on Kangaroo duty.
But there is a 3rd Trbojevic brother
Have Opacic or Cotric ever shown any inclination to rep their heritage?
Is there anyone in Super League or at Cup level?

Burns

First Grade
Does anyone think they have a chance of getting any NRL players to turn out for them in October-November? Safe to say Jake and Tom T won't as they'll be on Kangaroo duty.
Ask your heart

You know the answer

welshmagpie

Juniors

Ben Stevanovic - Wests U20s
Daniel Marjanovic - Sydney Uni Sydney Shield
James Mirceski - Asquith Magpies Ron Massey

magpie_man

Juniors
I could never get my around why the communists favoured the establishment game over the working class one.

Me neither.
At a guess I'd say it may have to do with RL's roots being based upon professionalism (paid to play) which could be tied to capitalism.

deluded pom?

Coach
Me neither.
At a guess I'd say it may have to do with RL's roots being based upon professionalism (paid to play) which could be tied to capitalism.
Yet RU stayed “amateur” because the people running it were/are capitalists in every sense of the word.

magpie_man

Juniors
Yet RU stayed “amateur” because the people running it were/are capitalists in every sense of the word.

Of course, it's always been the fat cats' game.
But I'm pretty sure that sport was strictly "amateur" in the USSR too; it just happened to be that all of the Soviet elite athletes had non-demanding jobs in the military or the like.

paulmac

Juniors
Nik Cotric’s brother has previously played for Serbia so I’d say he’d be across it. Opacic is a Serbian name but his forefathers are from Slovenia. However he is still eligible thru an obscure rule regarding former nation states.