What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Is my recollection correct that NRL HQ has said nothing on this situation? Not offered support for the club nor said anything adverse about the manager or the players actions?

The club should stand up and make an example of him.

A destination and not a pathway club.

Could be the best $300-$350k ever spent.

He can spend two years in Reggie’s thinking about his ethics.

Cleary escaped for $250k.

We are the cheap sluts of the league sometimes.

Is my recollection correct that NRL HQ has said nothing on this situation? Not offered support for the club nor said anything adverse about the manager or the players actions?

They are too busy circle jerking around the women’s comp.

Figuratively speaking.

It’s just about common knowledge that Greenberger hid Barbara’s propensity for violence against women.
I’d like to see one of the big league girls forwards drop both of them.

I hope where ever he goes they pick up his entire contract. The reason we are terrible is we pay rep level players to play against us because they wanted to leave. It's a shitty situation for us, but at least make it difficult for whomever wants him, rather than just handing over our best players on cut price wages because they don't like it here.

Hopefully he is one of several departures over the next 2-3 months.

ed612313

Juniors
Not sure why this surprising? He is a decent player stuck at a club that has no aim to improve or goals. He has spotted that and realised, while being a major part in/of the team the tigers have hit there absolute ceiling this year..
Im a fan of us keeping brookes and trying to build around him but when your best player is corey thompson you just arnt ever going to be a contender. And dont get me wrong, i really rate thompson. He is close to the best signing this merged debacle of a club has made. Fact is most pmayers come to this club and use it as an easy paycheque or a springboard. Maybe oneday the board will be held responsible.... But while fans accept mediocrity this will never happen.

Mate - I think you are way too attached to Reynolds. I don't dislike the guy. He just isn't very good or maybe better put he hasn't been very good for us.

If you can't see the difference in the on field performances between Reynolds and Matterson then you clearly aren't watching the same games that I'm watching. Then you add in the impact to the salary cap which is our biggest problem. I mean come on dude.

Reynolds has a great attitude. If we got somehow get Mattersons ability and Reynolds attitude we'd have a star that we can all like.

I reckon most fans of the game think Matterson is a merkin and most like Reynolds but that means jack shit when it comes to our team's performance.

I want to see our club win games. We were pretty good this season but we need to improve. I can't see how letting Matterson go helps us. I can see how getting Reynolds and others contracts off our books is really important.

I think we will have to let Matterson go though because he is such a merkin and I assume we are going to be carrying a couple of over inflated contracts on our books for the next couple of seasons. So probably the only guy on our squad on unders goes and our cap will still be screwed.
You have almost put it the better way. He hasn’t been good for the Tigers but like many have said there was a reason, he has been injured. I know the game, I don’t use words like gun to describe players just see in this 1 case that 1 guy has been unfortunate.
Just like Jack Bird, Kieran Foran and many others.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I hope Brad Fittler has being paying attention to Matterson's behavior. I'm pretty sure the qualities Freddy looked for when taking on the State of Origin coach's role was that he wanted players that where dedicated to their team. Players who thought their team was more important than them. Players who were disciplined. Players who would not question what their coach asked of them.
Matterson has none of these qualities. He is clearly a selfish player who doesn't care about the players who have been with him the last 12 months, doesn't car about a club that gave him consistent first grade, doesn't care about a coach who showed the State of Origin selectors he is a versatile player ( something he apparently does not want to be)

I hope he goes to the Titans, hates it up there. Never plays finals football and never plays State of Origin.

gordsy

Juniors
Reynolds is on close to $900K, Matterson on just over $300K. You seriously cant see the problem? Which to keep, which to let go?
How much more does he want ? Maybe he wants us to double the contract, maybe the plan all along was to use us then bail. But just because we f**ked up signing Reynolds for big us doesn't mean we should bend over because Matterson is on less. Besides halves are nearly always paid more than backrowers.

gordynz

Juniors
Not sure why this surprising? He is a decent player stuck at a club that has no aim to improve or goals. He has spotted that and realised, while being a major part in/of the team the tigers have hit there absolute ceiling this year..
Im a fan of us keeping brookes and trying to build around him but when your best player is corey thompson you just arnt ever going to be a contender. And dont get me wrong, i really rate thompson. He is close to the best signing this merged debacle of a club has made. Fact is most pmayers come to this club and use it as an easy paycheque or a springboard. Maybe oneday the board will be held responsible.... But while fans accept mediocrity this will never happen.

Are you a troll? Or just simply an idiot?

macnaz

Staff member
Hmm Ed ... would you like to elaborate on all that fluff ?
None of it makes sense at all , f**k I dont even know where to start and finnish trying to dissect all that crap and debate it... over to you .

macnaz

Staff member
This was pretty good. Matterson is basically just a turd.
Hmmm when his team members are having a go at him you know it's gone to far. Interestingly him and Aloiaia are best buddy's.. hopefully Josh has more morals and decency and doesnt follow his f**kwit mate.
On a side note an interesting read from earlier in the year, I wasnt aware Matterson had left the Roosters also with 2 years left to run on a contract.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/eels-discards-aloiai-and-matterson-ignore-injury-and-reunite/

Tiger05

First Grade
Hmmm when his team members are having a go at him you know it's gone to far. Interestingly him and Aloiaia are best buddy's.. hopefully Josh has more morals and decency and doesnt follow his f**kwit mate.
On a side note an interesting read from earlier in the year, I wasnt aware Matterson had left the Roosters also with 2 years left to run on a contract.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/21/eels-discards-aloiai-and-matterson-ignore-injury-and-reunite/

It's interesting isn't it. He just goes for the money every time. What pisses me off is I bet he pushed for the 3 year contract. Why not just sign a 1 year contract. So he gets the safety but won't stick to the deal.

Tiger5150

Bench
How much more does he want ? Maybe he wants us to double the contract, maybe the plan all along was to use us then bail. But just because we f**ked up signing Reynolds for big us doesn't mean we should bend over because Matterson is on less. Besides halves are nearly always paid more than backrowers.

Missed my point. I was responding to people deciding if Reynolds or Matterson should be kept based purely on playing ability but when you consider that one player is an average player on MASSIVE overs and one is a very good player on unders, it is a clear cut decision which you would keep or let go.

Tiger05

First Grade
Missed my point. I was responding to people deciding if Reynolds or Matterson should be kept based purely on playing ability but when you consider that one player is an average player on MASSIVE overs and one is a very good player on unders, it is a clear cut decision which you would keep or let go.

I don't see why we have to release Matterson unless we get a good deal. For instance we release Matterson, Reynolds and Packer and we get all their contracts off our books.

Releasing Matterson with no benefit to us makes no sense.

Tiger5150

Bench
I don't see why we have to release Matterson unless we get a good deal. For instance we release Matterson, Reynolds and Packer and we get all their contracts off our books.

Releasing Matterson with no benefit to us makes no sense.

Exactly