What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Webb

Gareth67

First Grade
Mark Coyne an option for CEO
Coyne had an appointment earlier on , whether or not it was the C.E.O position I cannot recall - whichever position it was I am sure that he left due to being disappointed by the lack of support he received from from the board .

I doubt very much that he would be interested in a second posting at the Dragons . 🤔

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I believe that you are close to the true circumstances with your assessment of the situation Wolfgang.

The man may had been ‘ shackled ‘ to an extent as to just what he could and could not do .
So if we go back to see when we had the best years these past two and almost a half decades ago we know that it was in 2009-2011 when we had Bennett and the guy to get him was Doust who only wanted him for 3 years. Doust was the CEO at that time and somehow I sense that because of his long standing at the club and with his father also involved over many years at the club, Doust had possibly all the say on league matters for the Joint Venture Club. I think the Board at that time, whoever were the Directors then, just let Doust run his own race.

I can recall Doust standing in front of a camera and talking about issues involving the Dragons many times while guys like Brian Johnston and Ryan Webb hardly ever.

Doust in a way had more control but his decision to only sign Bennett for 3 years was a monumental mistake as far as I am concerned for reasons we all know. Why didn't he sign Bennett for 5 years which is what Bennett wanted? Surely he would have wanted success to continue infinitum for the Dragons and having Bennett as head coach for two more years would have brought about more success I am certain of that. I am still puzzled why FDoust only wanted him for 3 years. I don't think Doust gave any reason, maybe he did but I cannot recall that.

Maybe at the beginning, Doust had some reservations and just wanted to be safe rather than sorry if things didn't pan out too well under Bennett. Just like we shudder when we sign a player longer than what we deem necessary just in case his form drops badly and we have him for a couple of years too long (Lawrie for example). But, in saying that, after we won the minor premiership in 2009, maybe Doust should have extended Bennett with the additional 2 years.

So that didn't happen as we know and the decline of the Dragons followed and continued for what seems an eternity. Doust was still the CEO when Price was the new head coach and Doust kept him on even though the reults were appalling. At that point, why didn't Doust give Price the bullet as surely he would have wanted success to continue?

We know how the story lingers on and on and now that Ryan Webb will be gone, will Doust take the position again particularly if those that they have been head hunting decline and they are left with also rans to fill the CEO position?

Am I clutching at anything here or am I losing a grip on my fortune telling?

Gareth67

First Grade
No , your predictions are correct DD , in fact the majority of what you have said has come to pass .

Yes undoubtedly Doust made errors in his time as CEO - the worst as you have pointed out was not offering the best coach of those years , Bennett an extension. But Bennett always and still does think ahead by at least a year . What I am saying is that if an extension was not offered by the end of 2010 then he was walking elsewhere .

And with him went Boyd , Smith plus the baby faced assassin ( who’s name escapes me but played 2nd row or centre ) . We lost a host of players who went to Newcastle with Bennett or moved elsewhere because the maestro was no longer around .

So thank you Mr. Doust for your generous contribution to the Dragons downwards downwards . In saying that I feel that improvement is on the way with Flanagan , he only requires 2 or 3 players of quality and our stocks will improve enormously .

We must look towards the future , hopefully with a pro- active CEO , one who suffers no interference from other boardroom members .

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Bennett signs short term contracts whether it be 2 or 3 years all the time. It is probably what he wanted at Saints. It makes more sense than blaming Doust. Apart from the Broncos he does not stay at clubs long. Souths get all the accolades of being a great club yet they signed him for 3 and he went off to the Dolphins. He is now back for let me guess 3 years.

Doust made a lot of crap decisions and glad he is no longer CEO of Saints but the 3 years for Bennett I don't think was one of them. If Bennett loved the club he would have come back when they chased him again, instead went to Souths and returned to them when they came calling. I feel that Bennett seems to have 3 year plans. Once they are over he gets itchy feet. Except for Brissy and with the bad coaching they are going through since he left makes them even worse as they sacked him and he never had intentions of leaving.

justadragon

Bench
Bennett signs short term contracts whether it be 2 or 3 years all the time. It is probably what he wanted at Saints. It makes more sense than blaming Doust. Apart from the Broncos he does not stay at clubs long. Souths get all the accolades of being a great club yet they signed him for 3 and he went off to the Dolphins. He is now back for let me guess 3 years.

Doust made a lot of crap decisions and glad he is no longer CEO of Saints but the 3 years for Bennett I don't think was one of them. If Bennett loved the club he would have come back when they chased him again, instead went to Souths and returned to them when they came calling. I feel that Bennett seems to have 3 year plans. Once they are over he gets itchy feet. Except for Brissy and with the bad coaching they are going through since he left makes them even worse as they sacked him and he never had intentions of leaving.
WB had stated that he wanted 5 years, but the club wasn't willing to offer it.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I

I'm not sure if this is true or not as I have no inside knowledge. The story at the time was that Bennett wanted a 5 year contract. Doust wouldn't do it and they settled on 3 years. After the 2010 premiership Doust offered an extension (2 or 3 years I think) but by then Bennett didn't want to stay and was off to the privately Tinkler owned Newcastle Knights. Bennett was quoted as saying that he thought private ownership of clubs was the way of the future. As we know, Tinkler fell in a heap in 2014.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Ok, sorry all I stand corrected. Doust really screwed up big time, lucky he is no longer CEO.

It is weird he did not re-sign with Saints for a further couple of years as Bennett has stated that Doust was one of the best CEO's he worked with.

Dragon David

First Grade
Ok, sorry all I stand corrected. Doust really screwed up big time, lucky he is no longer CEO.

It is weird he did not re-sign with Saints for a further couple of years as Bennett has stated that Doust was one of the best CEO's he worked with.

I suppose that Nathan Tinkler fella was waving plenty of bucks and Bennett loves those green ones.

It will be interesting to see how Bennett goes the second time around at the Bunnies.

BLM01

First Grade
Coyne had an appointment earlier on , whether or not it was the C.E.O position I cannot recall - whichever position it was I am sure that he left due to being disappointed by the lack of support he received from from the board .

I doubt very much that he would be interested in a second posting at the Dragons . 🤔
He was only consulting because he had his own business interests

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We assembled a great roster in the early 2000’s when Brown was coach. Then there was our premiership roster. We then built a decent roster when the peanut was in charge.
I’m no Doust fan, but goodness we have been ordinary on and off the field since he left in 2018. Unless of course we can credit those good rosters to whomever was the recruitment manager at the time?

He was only consulting because he had his own business interests
Mr Coyne was CEO at EML (Workers comp claims management provider for iCare) for a decade. He's still a director there. I know nothing of his performance as a CEO, although he did lead EML through a period of rapid growth.
Mr Coyne also resigned from his role on the ARLC in 2019 after being arrested for the drunken abuse of a public servant in Singapore.
I make no personal judgements on any of the above, but experience in business and the admiration of St George fans may not be the only considerations when the board is selecting a new CEO.

Last edited:

Latest posts