What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles it is NOT - Rejects Dragons

Dragon David

First Grade
No, nothing was officially announced. But Ben Creagh definitely had discussions with Ryles. Roosters were sufficiently peeved that they told Ryles to pack his bags. During the media speculation, Dragons could have said we're looking at more than one option, they didn't. Webb has since confirmed they Ryles withdrew his application. It's pretty clear to me that the Dragons wanted him - they wouldn't be talking to him otherwise.
We really don't know that Ryles was a shoe in. He was possibly high up in the pecking order and when the negotiations were dragging on I'm sure that the club would have sensed Ryles having other thoughts - the clubs KPI's and other terms might have been harsh but necessary because of the need for the club to get it right for the next generation. The processes takes a good time. The club needed to make sure that Ryles had the "true" credentials to succeed and if the job was going to be a too hard a task for him.

Melbourne would be easier for Ryles as they have a ready made successful procedure of doing things and with Bellamy still being there as some sort of Manager in the football department after he gives up coaching, Ryles will have him to help out. Much better for Ryles in the long run.

In the meantime, we have Carr. He might turn out ok and be considered as the head coach particularly if the others the club have in mind don't accept or prove not capable. We should not go for second best, not again. Otherwise, why sack Hook as I have said before?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
dodged a bullet imo, Ryles just didnt feel right. Saying that, not really sure who would feel right. I understand the temptation to lurch towards a Hasler but that could lead to tears as it has with him in recent appointments. Of the rookies mentioned I get no real hope from either Young nor Hornby, I suspect they would be plodders. So perhaps someone from the UK or make it real simple and just bring the women's coach across and give him a run, he helped us to a premiership as a player, he has learnt from the greatest coach ever, he is respected within the club at all levels and very importantly, he loves the club. Does Jamie want the gig?

jay mac

Juniors
I wonder which conditions the board rejected that made Ryles go "nup"? Eitherway, he knows what success looks like and he must not have thought this was the spot for it. This is just embarassing
I read somewhere yesterday that there were performance triggers in year 3 & 4, so perhaps Ryles was concerned about that? If this is true, i give some credit to Webb and co for not compromising. However, i still suspect the Dragons were being used as leverage for a better deal at the Storm. It aligns with the vehement prediction from Gus and it also didn't make sense that the Roosters were so filthy at an assistant getting an opportunity to become a head coach.

matPORTS

Juniors
If Hornby or Young are the alternatives, without the required 'help' also being recruited (which has been identified by Ryles throughout his interview process)...

Then I am out !

Nothing on them or their ability to potentially turn the club around. But I can't sit idly by and watch two of our club legends be set up for failure by this incompetent and completely out of depth board and front office - thus tarnishing the great memories we have of them leading the club to the promised land in 2010.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Thanks @R&WTILLIDIE ... lets see who they settle for out of hornby and young...

They may even bring back the longest serving coach in our club history... or renew Hook...

Lets see who is the last man standing for the poisoned chalice...

I cannot believe they stuffed up again..that's the issue...we always end up with Plan B C D E..

We never land our target

Anyway...if we end up with the spoon, it will serve them right...

We as supporters deserve more than what is being dished up by our club...
Yes mate. We deserve the spoon for many years to come following the ineptitude of the directors at this club. I was filthy with myself for not renewing my membership this year after almost 20 years. Now…I’m happy I didn’t.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

We really don't know that Ryles was a shoe in. He was possibly high up in the pecking order and when the negotiations were dragging on I'm sure that the club would have sensed Ryles having other thoughts - the clubs KPI's and other terms might have been harsh but necessary because of the need for the club to get it right for the next generation. The processes takes a good time. The club needed to make sure that Ryles had the "true" credentials to succeed and if the job was going to be a too hard a task for him.

Melbourne would be easier for Ryles as they have a ready made successful procedure of doing things and with Bellamy still being there as some sort of Manager in the football department after he gives up coaching, Ryles will have him to help out. Much better for Ryles in the long run.

In the meantime, we have Carr. He might turn out ok and be considered as the head coach particularly if the others the club have in mind don't accept or prove not capable. We should not go for second best, not again. Otherwise, why sack Hook as I have said before?
Webb has stated (in the Fox Sports article), that Ryles was one of a number of candidates, and that they hoped to make an announcement in 2 weeks. I took that as meaning it will not be Carr. We'll see. I didn't think they would sack Hook unless they had someone lined up, but that looks now not to be the case.

getsmarty

Immortal
Yes mate. We deserve the spoon for many years to come following the ineptitude of the directors at this club. I was filthy with myself for not renewing my membership this year after almost 20 years. Now…I’m happy I didn’t.

Correct @R&WTILLIDIE ...according to some on here St George bank to withdraw sponsorship....

The Rest of the info will filter out slowly... we are officially a mess....

Crush

Coach
I would hope that you people would be happy that this circus is finally over.
Also hopefully your management has learnt that to do things in stealth mode is a way better option than letting the media run away with never-ending stories.
I for one am glad to see more of the new crop of coaches coming through.
Demitrio and Fitzy seem to be innovative, I'm not sure on Webster, Ciraldo and Payten as of yet.
New ideas, and natural evolution, are getting brought into the game, not the "tried and tested methods" which some newish coaches, O'Brien, Holbrook and Seibold have tried to implement at their clubs with little success.
Time will tell if Ryles is in the first or second group.
I wish you good luck.
The circus rolls on my friend!!!

Illusion

Bench
I mean…imagine not wanting to sponsor a team that has the exact same name as your company? That’s what makes it that little bit worse.
We are a deadset embarrassment. These directors should all just get up and leave because you have all failed dismally.
Maybe its all coming to an end , no more St George , no more St George Illawarra .........

This is written by the Mole, but it appears the issue was Ryles would not have been given oversight of all areas of football operations which is why he rejected the offer -

I do not know the veracity of the above article, but thought you Dragons fans would want to read it at least.

Belza

Juniors
Looks like the chips are down.

Seems the happy dragon are punting us after 40 year partnership.

Shane Flanagan not mentioned. Yet, Premiership winner and apparently wants the job.
I think Flanagan should be given a chance. I think he can bring toughness to the Dragons.. Good luck Dragons I hope you can turn your mess around