What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryles it is NOT - Rejects Dragons

Mojo

Bench
I

don’t know what the offer was but surely a coach has the right to pick and choose the players that are coming into the club!!
I agree - but my question is about $800k and total autonomy - for a guy who has no head Coach experience on his resume. Sure, our footy department needs major changes. No question about that. I reckon we should see how Carr goes and target the changes that are obviously needed.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
What is so good about Ryles? He is not the saviour. Not worth the wage offered and mad to offer that amount. Celebrating that he is gone and never to return,
He's definitely not the saviour now. But irrespective of what you may personally think, Ryles had good credentials, was highly regarded by the media, and even some Roosters players publicly stated how good he was. But forget Ryles for the moment, and look at our Board and Management. They had a plan - sack Hook, install a new highly regarded coach ASAP, and start recruiting some decent players. They hung their hat on Ryles as the best man to achieve that. Now they're talking about Dean Young, who has less experience than Ryles, is not regarded by the media if they mention him at all, and whose ability to recruit decent players is probably about as good as Hook's.

I guess it's good that you can celebrate. All I see is the plan that Board and Management came up with, the plan to get us out of the mess the club is in, well that plan is now shot to bits. That plan is in disarray. That plan has failed. It is a non-plan.

jay mac

Juniors
Been thinking about the yesterday's events and wondering whether the Dragons asked both Ryles and St George Bank to allow the news to be released yesterday. Seems too perfect to be a coincidence. By the time all the Origin fanfare has died down, both stories will be forgotten and we'll be onto the next news cycle. Bravo to the Red V spin doctors if they have actually orchestrated this. But....i'm probably giving too much credit.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints can offer 3.2mil to Ryles then surely they have the cash to bring in Richo. Just bring him in to sort out the mess. He will find the best coach available and set up the ideal coaching structure. He is the best in the business and should be the guy Saints should be talking to and getting over the line as soon as possible.

I honestly believe if Richo is announced as Head of Football this will be the turning point of making this club great again.

Unfortunately I doubt it will happen. They don't seem to want to club to succeed.

He's definitely not the saviour now. But irrespective of what you may personally think, Ryles had good credentials, was highly regarded by the media, and even some Roosters players publicly stated how good he was. But forget Ryles for the moment, and look at our Board and Management. They had a plan - sack Hook, install a new highly regarded coach ASAP, and start recruiting some decent players. They hung their hat on Ryles as the best man to achieve that. Now they're talking about Dean Young, who has less experience than Ryles, is not regarded by the media if they mention him at all, and whose ability to recruit decent players is probably about as good as Hook's.

I guess it's good that you can celebrate. All I see is the plan that Board and Management came up with, the plan to get us out of the mess the club is in, well that plan is now shot to bits. That plan is in disarray. That plan has failed. It is a non-plan.

One of the things players often ask when being recruited (after remuneration and length of contract) is "who's going to be the coach?" Ryles, like Fitzgibbon before him, had built up a cachet in the rugby league community which would make being coached by him of some interest to prospective recruits (no, not because they were at the Roosters, but the time they spent learning the trade of being a coach and the work they did as assistants). Is Dean Young going to have anywhere near that level of cachet with prospective recruits for the Dragons?

jay mac

Juniors
If Saints can offer 3.2mil to Ryles then surely they have the cash to bring in Richo. Just bring him in to sort out the mess. He will find the best coach available and set up the ideal coaching structure. He is the best in the business and should be the guy Saints should be talking to and getting over the line as soon as possible.

I honestly believe if Richo is announced as Head of Football this will be the turning point of making this club great again.

Unfortunately I doubt it will happen. They don't seem to want to club to succeed.
Isn't Shane Richardson still engaged to lead the Firehawks 18th team bid?

56to66

Juniors
And he's the least well credentialled candidate from everyone...hahahahaha
I felt the Media had a part to play with Ryles backflip, ppl like Jimmy Hooper would be over the moon, they will have peace in their Hearts knowing the Dragons will be perennial Wooden Spooners. Any way both super mergers of the late 90's, have become the biggest flops.

TheRev

First Grade
I dunno if they would have the balls to pick Young.. even with support.. if they are now put off "rookie coaches".. if Ryles was thinking twice about the size of the job.. esp after yesterdays new lows.. I dont see what chance Young would have..... I think they are far more likely to go with experience now.. I just pray to god that the name Maguire that MC just mentioned on radio is not on the table, absolute wrong dude for any club.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Gus was able to make his forecast come true. With these mentors did we have a chance?

“Ryles had taken advice from a range of mentors, including Phil Gould, Eddie Jones and Storm head of football Frank Ponissi. The conclusion was that this was not a job for him. But maybe the most significant phone call was from Bellamy, who wanted him back at the Storm.”

TheRev

First Grade
I don’t think they have the stomach for Hasler, so I hope they go for Flanno. He is a premiership winner and brought the Sharks up from when they were nearly as bad as we are now. So for mine, he has the runs on the board.
Despite the early rumours that Hasler was coming.. every other source seems crystal clear that Hasler is not an option.. Hasler must really have some guys on the Illawarra side of the board that don't like or trust him..

If that frees up Flanagan as a real option that we will take seriously... thats fine with me.. either of these 2 were the best chance to turn the club around, both are atleast a chance of pulling this shipwreck off the rocks.

Edit: I do note though that Webb said on SEN, that there being no need to "start again" as several other coaches were also well into negotiation.. but this is contradiction to Flanagan who they have never spoken too.. and I doubt Morris either.... I think Webb is very good at selling a narrative.. hes not lying as they had spoken to Young and co.. but his choice of words is very clever..

Last edited:

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Gus was able to make his forecast come true. With these mentors did we have a chance?

“Ryles had taken advice from a range of mentors, including Phil Gould, Eddie Jones and Storm head of football Frank Ponissi. The conclusion was that this was not a job for him. But maybe the most significant phone call was from Bellamy, who wanted him back at the Storm.”

Maybe Ryles got the inside word on what the NRL’s plans are for the Perth Dragons….

Dragon for life

Juniors
Been thinking about the yesterday's events and wondering whether the Dragons asked both Ryles and St George Bank to allow the news to be released yesterday. Seems too perfect to be a coincidence. By the time all the Origin fanfare has died down, both stories will be forgotten and we'll be onto the next news cycle. Bravo to the Red V spin doctors if they have actually orchestrated this. But....i'm probably giving too much credit.
We don’t forget about it!

How sad a club are we. We have a former player who seemed to have had at least a decent apprenticeship under some decent coaches and on the 11th hour decides it better to take up an assistant coaches role with no clear path into the head coach role.
We are F**ked.

Latest posts