What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Bellamy does. Always. Cleary does too (on the few occasions it’s needed).

It’s not about doing it when they lose. It’s calling a spade and spade when they play poorly.

The only coaches that make more excuses or give more undeserved public praise than AOB are Ciraldo or Sticky. Ciraldo I get though because his side is so horrendously bad and out of their depth on paper it wouldn’t be helpful. We on the other hand have shown we can do a lot better than we’ve thrown up the last 2 rounds.
No he doesn't do it always mate, it's infact rare he'll come into a presser and crap on his players

On the few occasions he's done it it has been later in the season when his guys are in the top 8 and they have underperformed in a game. He doesn't do it 2 games in and he doesn't do it when the media are all over them after an 0/2 start

Context is key

Loose Cannon

Bench
No he doesn't do it always mate, it's infact rare he'll come into a presser and crap on his players

On the few occasions he's done it it has been later in the season when his guys are in the top 8 and they have underperformed in a game. He doesn't do it 2 games in and he doesn't do it when the media are all over them after an 0/2 start

Context is key
When has Bellamy been an 0/2 start?

Woody90

Juniors
Another 2 coaches (Sticky and Hasler) were pretty frank in their pressers yesterday about their assessments of the team and that they weren’t good enough.

Before Alex runs in, I’m not bumping this thread due to yesterday’s performance (nor would I want Hasler or Stuart to coach us under any circumstances), but it’s clearly bullshit that no coaches are honest of their assessments of the teams’ performance in pressers.

no coaches are honest of their assessments of the teams’ performance in pressers.
Walters, Flannigan, Stuart, Payten and Webster are the only true coaches that don't sound like templates or BS there way through a presser when their teams play poor.

However I get your point on the rest. Examples below.

How many times do we have to hear Ciraldo say he is proud of the Dogs when they play like garbage?
How many times does Trent need to play victim and blame rules when they break them week in week out?
How boring is Des to listen to each time his teams gets a hiding?

Alex28

Coach
Plenty of coaches are critical of the team, however some are asking him to be critical of individuals publicly, singling them out, and that is bullshit in my opinion.

Flanagan singled out Sloan last night when he was hooked from fullback at half time. What value does that make to the individual and their confidence - particularly in those conditions?

Woody90

Juniors
Walters, Flannigan, Stuart, Payten and Webster are the only true coaches that don't sound like templates or BS there way through a presser when their teams play poor.

However I get your point on the rest. Examples below.

How many times do we have to hear Ciraldo say he is proud of the Dogs when they play like garbage?
How many times does Trent need to play victim and blame rules when they break them week in week out?
How boring is Des to listen to each time his teams gets a hiding?

I’m not sure why that came up as a post from me mate, I didn’t post the quoted part.

I completely agree with you. Fans simply don’t like to hear coaches say they were proud of the team and give false praise when the fans are smart enough to know it’s not deserved.

Off AOB for a second but Robinson was absolutely ridiculous last night. My wife (who supports the Roosters but doesn’t follow league very closely) even commented she was concerned he was more worried about the ref than how bad they played in the first half.

perverse

Referee
The answer to all of the above is that it depends on the team and the individuals in it. AOB has taken the fatherly approach to coaching us. He protects and nurtures his players like a father figure. It's the Wayne Bennett model.

Does it look daft when we're a rabble? Yes. Have I wanted to pull my hair out with some of his pussyfooting around issues? Very yes. Do we go on a 10 game winning streak last year without the total buy-in if the players to save his job? No chance.

The players love him and they've proven that on the field. Having that level of buy-in is a big deal for a coach. Critical even. He's not going to throw that away because some internet fans get the sads when he doesn't blow up at pressers.

Yosh

Coach
I'm totally fine with the fatherly model and it has worked wonders foe Bennett but Wayne's teams tended to win more often than not. I think once we become a winning team AOB can use whatever method he wants and we will all start to worship regardless.

To be fair, AOB is in a bar fight with one hand tied behind his back hopping on 1 leg.

Rorters lose Teddy, no problem they throw in Golden Boot Winner Manu. That Dom Young looks alright, they buy him. They're now going after a Wallaby. Seriously it's a joke.

We lose Dom Young and replace him with a fringe first grader from Penrith? That needs to change.

Otherwise or we'll all still be dreaming in 20 yrs time hoping against all odds that another Johns appears at the same time as a Bedsy and an O'Davis

Burwood

Bench
I think once we become a winning team AOB can use whatever method he wants and we will all start to worship regardless.

That’s just silly. He was hired knowing full well what his coaching style was and the culture he wanted to develop at the club. It’s up to the players to then buy into it and hopefully the results follow. It shouldn’t be the other way around.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Closest he has been I think. And it will only intensify if we keep this up. Cos he was signed on the back of the run and it has fallen very very flat. And the weakest side we have played all year just killed us.

Woody90

Juniors
Not sure how anyone can defend him at this point.

Literally the only time we’ve looked decent under his coaching was last year when we started playing expansive footy that suited our players. So it begs belief that after our best season in years, he reverts back to coaching boring, one out football that our players can’t do.

He literally changes the halves every 2 weeks while constantly poor forwards get a free ride every week. How utterly shit must that be for team morale?

Not to mention the complete and utter negligence in playing KP today. It was obvious from the get go he wasn’t right. Then to leave him out there…

The guy is obviously a nice guy but he’s just not a competent head coach.

Good coaches modify their game plans around the players’ strengths, he does the opposite. He forces them into playing a style that’s been proven time and time again they can’t do. Then he comments that they’re frustrated and don’t look like they’re enjoying their football.

Rather than actually trying to coach them better to fix the issues he just changes the halves every week hoping that will fix it. f**king coach the side instead of scapegoating the halves every week.

We don’t seem like a happy club at the moment. Not just FG getting flogged but NSW cup too. The reported punch up between Hastings and Pryce. Somethings not right there. Wonder what Parr’s thoughts are.

Wizardman

First Grade
Not sure how anyone can defend him at this point.

Literally the only time we’ve looked decent under his coaching was last year when we started playing expansive footy that suited our players. So it begs belief that after our best season in years, he reverts back to coaching boring, one out football that our players can’t do.

He literally changes the halves every 2 weeks while constantly poor forwards get a free ride every week. How utterly shit must that be for team morale?

Not to mention the complete and utter negligence in playing KP today. It was obvious from the get go he wasn’t right. Then to leave him out there…

The guy is obviously a nice guy but he’s just not a competent head coach.

Good coaches modify their game plans around the players’ strengths, he does the opposite. He forces them into playing a style that’s been proven time and time again they can’t do. Then he comments that they’re frustrated and don’t look like they’re enjoying their football.

Rather than actually trying to coach them better to fix the issues he just changes the halves every week hoping that will fix it. f**king coach the side instead of scapegoating the halves every week.

We don’t seem like a happy club at the moment. Not just FG getting flogged but NSW cup too. The reported punch up between Hastings and Pryce. Somethings not right there. Wonder what Parr’s thoughts are.
To me, that is a sacking offence right there. Thing is, it will result in him getting sacked anyway down the line as life will be tough without Ponga.