What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I sometimes get the impression that AOB can be too indecisive. He’s now tried 3 different halves combos in a 7 week period and has gone back to the one that he started the year with, which he should have stuck with in the first place.

Also I can’t get my head around why we’ve regressed so much after being so red hot in the back half of last season. What is it that’s changed? I know we’ve had a couple of players leave the club but they weren’t key positional players. It’s like we’ve gone back to square one and have forgotten how to play good footy. Has AOB been trying to reinvent the wheel during the off season?

I sometimes get the impression that AOB can be too indecisive. He’s now tried 3 different halves combos in a 7 week period and has gone back to the one that he started the year with, which he should have stuck with in the first place.

Also I can’t get my head around why we’ve regressed so much after being so red hot in the back half of last season. What is it that’s changed? I know we’ve had a couple of players leave the club but they weren’t key positional players. It’s like we’ve gone back to square one and have forgotten how to play good footy. Has AOB been trying to reinvent the wheel during the off season?
Swapping and changing after only 2 games was farcical, then to do it again is just doubling down on stupid.

Surely he saw enough from the 10 game streak, and pre-season, to know what halves to go with and give them more than 2 games to kick into gear.

It's all the more bewildering when to my uneducated footy mind it's the middle that's the issue. The forwards are woeful, and today they were shameful.

Nuke

Staff member
I wonder if the ex-SuperLeague coach, now an assistant at Newcastle, would feel more at ease in the NRL now that he's been here for over a year?

Knight Tales

Juniors
I wonder if the ex-SuperLeague coach, now an assistant at Newcastle, would feel more at ease in the NRL now that he's been here for over a year?
He is doing well old Willie Peters. But if you want a coach from Superleague it is Matt Peet from Wigan. He is a class act. Probably needs a couple of years as an assistant due to the style and complexities of running a club over here. But he would not change halves every other week. The fact he signed a 7 year deal makes me think the NRL has already put feelers out.

If you look what he has done with Bevan French’s game it will blow your mind. He is now a quality half.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
It’s definitely time to go. We are in a worse shape than when he turned up. That 10 game winning streak sugar coated it. Let’s hope Phil capped his potential pay out. Who’s the options?

4 I can think of off the top of my head John Morris, Geoff Toovey, Michael Maguire and John Cartwright.

Not too many more out there with first grade coaching experience.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
It’s definitely time to go. We are in a worse shape than when he turned up. That 10 game winning streak sugar coated it. Let’s hope Phil capped his potential pay out. Who’s the options?

4 I can think of off the top of my head John Morris, Geoff Toovey, Michael Maguire and John Cartwright.

Of those I would take Morris only. Part of the problem in sacking AOB, is there isn't a clear great candidate to replace him.

Closest he has been I think. And it will only intensify if we keep this up. Cos he was signed on the back of the run and it has fallen very very flat. And the weakest side we have played all year just killed us.
Whilst I agree that it's a new low, I think the new deal means he's safe at least for now. Absolutely crazy decision by the club. Nothing about that run had anything to do with what AOB was doing and it was plain to see.

I like Johnny. He's a lauded defensive coach and a Hunter Valley boy. Get him in.

Haffa

I think the thing that annoys me most is late last season and in the off season all the talk was how we had found our identity and how we want to play as a team. But as soon as the season starts, we're back to playing the safe, boring footy that we've never looked good playing for the past 4 years.
It gives the impression that's the only way he knows how to coach and the end of last season was someone else being handed the keys when his job was on the line.

Haffa

Not including the * 2020 season this is the worst position we have been on the ladder after 7 rounds.
2021 - 11th 3W 4L - Finished 7th
2022 - 14th 2W 5L - Finished 14th
2023 - 12th 3W 3L 1D - Finished 5th
2024 - 15th 2W 5L - Finished ?

AOB Overall record

Overall 103W 46L 54D 344.66%

Knight Tales

Juniors
Bennett may see us as unfinished business. But it is unlikely. Unless he has a desire to rebuild us completely around Kalyn.

Nuke

Staff member
He is doing well old Willie Peters. But if you want a coach from Superleague it is Matt Peet from Wigan. He is a class act. Probably needs a couple of years as an assistant due to the style and complexities of running a club over here. But he would not change halves every other week. The fact he signed a 7 year deal makes me think the NRL has already put feelers out.

If you look what he has done with Bevan French’s game it will blow your mind. He is now a quality half.
Sorry, I was referring to Brian McDermott. He seems a hard-nosed kinda person.