What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Woody90

Juniors
It’s 4 games into a 24 game regular season. It’s time to calm down.

How many games of Raiders > Cowboys (A) > Storm > Warriors (A) did you think we would have honestly won any way?

I hope for 2, but 1 from 4 wouldn’t have been surprising. We went a lot closer yesterday than I expected.

Last year the cut off for top 4 was 38 points. Accounting for byes we need to win 16 games. Assuming we lose the first 4, we need to win 16 of the next 20 games to be a realistic chance at top 4. Based on current form, no chance

I myself only had us winning 1 from our first 4 (hopeful of 2 if we came out firing), but the nature of how we lost them isn’t acceptable. The club knows we needed to improve on our start from last year but instead we start even worse and the coach is proud of the effort when we threw games away against the Raiders and Cowboys? Nope, not good enough.

How could anyone possibly think that’s ok? Do you think Bellamy or Cleary would be proud of their sides if they’d given up a game like that following the Canberra debacle? No way.

Alex28

Coach
Last year the cut off for top 4 was 38 points. Accounting for byes we need to win 16 games. Assuming we lose the first 4, we need to win 16 of the next 20 games to be a realistic chance at top 4. Based on current form, no chance

I myself only had us winning 1 from our first 4 (hopeful of 2 if we came out firing), but the nature of how we lost them isn’t acceptable. The club knows we needed to improve on our start from last year but instead we start even worse and the coach is proud of the effort when we threw games away against the Raiders and Cowboys? Nope, not good enough.

How could anyone possibly think that’s ok? Do you think Bellamy or Cleary would be proud of their sides if they’d given up a game like that following the Canberra debacle? No way.
Losing in golden point - clearly flogged, unacceptable, sack the coach…

Full derp.

Knight Tales

Juniors
It’s 4 games into a 24 game regular season. It’s time to calm down.

How many games of Raiders > Cowboys (A) > Storm > Warriors (A) did you think we would have honestly won any way?

I hope for 2, but 1 from 4 wouldn’t have been surprising. We went a lot closer yesterday than I expected.
It is not the coaching. It is his absolute refusal to tell his troops they lost a great opportunity last night which sits wrong. He may have a point about what started the streak being similar losses. But he misses the most important point. Yesterday could have been a huge burden off this side’s back and they f###ed it up. He should not be ok with that. His answers should have reflected that.

Zoidberg

First Grade
It is not the coaching. It is his absolute refusal to tell his troops they lost a great opportunity last night which sits wrong. He may have a point about what started the streak being similar losses. But he misses the most important point. Yesterday could have been a huge burden off this side’s back and they f###ed it up. He should not be ok with that. His answers should have reflected that.
What is said in a press conference doesn’t really reflect what is said in the sheds.

This. I dont know about his coaching behind the scenes, but his public statements I mostly dislike. Losing in professional sport is NEVER something to be proud of.

The most alarming thing to me is they dont seem to be having a crack. Not willing to fight and scrap on every play- and the coach is proud

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
To be fair what is said to the media and what is said in the dressing room & behind closed doors is different. Coaches usually don’t bake their players in a press conference, it’s not a good practice if you want your players to trust in you.

TBF being disappointed in certain elements of the performance and being proud of the performance aren’t mutually exclusive things. I don’t have any issue with what AOB said in the press conference at all. He said we will watch the video and see what we did that contributed to the loss, I think that’s sensible coaching. I get that we’re all emotional (and I definitely posted some silly comments on here last night) but we probably read too much into stuff that gets said to the press.

Alex28

Coach
It is not the coaching. It is his absolute refusal to tell his troops they lost a great opportunity last night which sits wrong.
It’s sad that you think what he says to fans in a promotional video (which is essentially what the after game presser has become) is what you think is said in the sheds after the game.

I know this post isn’t about giving the guy some credit, but give the guy some credit…

Knight Tales

Juniors
It’s sad that you think what he says to fans in a promotional video (which is essentially what the after game presser has become) is what you think is said in the sheds after the game.

I know this post isn’t about giving the guy some credit, but give the guy some credit…
As always you are wide of the mark. If you were a sniper they only thing safe would be what was in front of you. No. I am saying he should give the fans the respect of pulling back the curtain and admitting he is not alright with losing a game from a 12 nil halftime lead at a place we have failed at for years. If he is then we are being treated like mugs.

Alex28

Coach
As always you are wide of the mark. If you were a sniper they only thing safe would be what was in front of you. No. I am saying he should give the fans the respect of pulling back the curtain and admitting he is not alright with losing a game from a 12 nil halftime lead at a place we have failed at for years. If he is then we are being treated like mugs.
That is not the way any footy team works. It’s not the way any workplace works.

You don’t publicly criticise your employees. You do that behind the scenes in a constructive manner. That’s how you get the best out of your staff.

The Knights are no different to any workplace. The players also have a decent union that won’t tolerate what you want either.

You don’t publicly criticise your employees. You do that behind the scenes in a constructive manner. That’s how you get the best out of your staff.
never watch a Bellamy post game ? He'll spray em for only winning by a couple of points

EDIT - and threaten sack when just losing by a couple.

Woody90

Juniors
That is not the way any footy team works. It’s not the way any workplace works.

The Knights are no different to any workplace. The players also have a decent union that won’t tolerate what you want either.

Who’s said that they want him to single out individual players in the presser? Nobody wants that.

Don't be ridiculous though, the coaches of the successful sides are honest in the pressers that they weren’t good enough.

Whether what he says in the presser really matches what’s said in the sheds behind closed doors nobody really knows (including yourself), but pressers and interviews are the only time fans have any insight into the coach’s thoughts or plans to improve things. I know I’d be a lot more reassured that we’d improve hearing a coach honestly say the side wasn’t good enough like Bellamy does, rather than AOB always giving completely undeserved praise.

Look, the bloke isn’t the world’s worst coach. The players clearly like him and I like that he’s developed more of an ability to adapt and admit when things don’t work and change them. Saying that though, when the side comes back to way it has from pre-season fans are well within their rights to be critical, especially when there’s always such a big disconnect between what AOB says publicly and what we see on the field. Again, it’s not about losing, it’s the nature of the losses.

Expecting the coach to air to the public what messages he's giving to the players is peak naivety. Heaping pressure on the playing group when the media and fans are already doing it is counter productive to say the least

None of the good coaches do it. None

never watch a Bellamy post game ? He'll spray em for only winning by a couple of points

EDIT - and threaten sack when just losing by a couple.
Because Bellamy knows his players and how they will respond. He's only done it a very small number of times when he's felt it was required. He doesn't do it every time they lose

Because Bellamy knows his players and how they will respond. He's only done it a very small number of times when he's felt it was required. He doesn't do it every time they lose
Certainly has a definitive demarcation and sets standards that cannot be crossed. In no uncertain terms.

I'm yet to see that from his under-study.

Woody90

Juniors
None of the good coaches do it. None
Bellamy does. Always. Cleary does too (on the few occasions it’s needed).

It’s not about doing it when they lose. It’s calling a spade and spade when they play poorly.

The only coaches that make more excuses or give more undeserved public praise than AOB are Ciraldo or Sticky. Ciraldo I get though because his side is so horrendously bad and out of their depth on paper it wouldn’t be helpful. We on the other hand have shown we can do a lot better than we’ve thrown up the last 2 rounds.

Alex28

Coach
I suspect you guys have seen Bellamy go off a few times and expect AOB to do it every week.

The guy has got the team to the finals 3 out of the last 4 years. I suspect he knows what he’s doing, and he’s not going off course to appease a few members who want him to be someone he isn’t.

He gets enough showings of him going off in the coaches box during the game when mistakes are made. Can you imagine what the media would make of him if he did it to the press as well?

Of course I want more than what they have produced (this year, before that). I’m patient - a run like we got last year will be worth it.