What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

BLM01

First Grade
Bad start for the new coach when our captain and best player asks for a release the same week he is appointed. Everyone blamed the previous coach when a couple of yet to be proven rookies asked for releases last year, are we going to hold the new coach to the same standard or no?
Yes..when he actually starts the job which is Nov 1. If at all true he made his decision regardless of Flanno it is clear. Maybe he already told him on the phone?..youd never know

Gippsy

Bench
Well worth a listen.

Key point from this interview I liked.

Summary not word for word.

1.) Are you worried about only having a 3 year deal ?
No, I intend to revamp this place and be here for 8 - 10 years and get the Dragons where they should be.

2.) Is your Manly job conflicting and can you start recruiting for Saints now ?
Manly I will work for until my contract is up and help them get to the semis. Yes, I am talking and dealing with rosters etc re Saints outside those hours.

Cliche' answers? maybe... but I found it very encouraging. The fact that he see's himself as the long term coach and ( on the face of it anyway ), is willing to take 3 years to prove his worth has me feeling optimistic.

A great listen. He instills a lot of confidence.

BLM01

First Grade
Well worth a listen.

Key point from this interview I liked.

Summary not word for word.

1.) Are you worried about only having a 3 year deal ?
No, I intend to revamp this place and be here for 8 - 10 years and get the Dragons where they should be.

2.) Is your Manly job conflicting and can you start recruiting for Saints now ?
Manly I will work for until my contract is up and help them get to the semis. Yes, I am talking and dealing with rosters etc re Saints outside those hours.

Cliche' answers? maybe... but I found it very encouraging. The fact that he see's himself as the long term coach and ( on the face of it anyway ), is willing to take 3 years to prove his worth has me feeling optimistic.

The so called phone and face to face catch up he created with Ben Hunt was also interesting and sounded positive? that he would not bother him till he comes back from origin and he does not want him to go anywhere. He may have to do some more convincing unless this is Hunt's manager feeding Weidler
Besides if Dragons dont want to let him go they dont have to!!

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
Bad start for the new coach when our captain and best player asks for a release the same week he is appointed. Everyone blamed the previous coach when a couple of yet to be proven rookies asked for releases last year, are we going to hold the new coach to the same standard or no?
I seem to recall a number of posters leaping to that coach's defence by calling said players "sooks". I wonder if these posters will have the same response now or no?

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I seem to recall a number of posters leaping to that coach's defence by calling said players "sooks". I wonder if these posters will have the same response now or no?
From what I've been reading on here so far, I'd say the answer to your question is yes.

If we compare the two events though, having your best player and captain request a release not even a week in to a new coach's appointment is a much more damning condemnation of a coach than a couple of young blokes who by their own admission overreacted.

BLM01

First Grade
Well in his first week he’s lost our captain & best player so I say sack him now 😂😂😂

From what I've been reading on here so far, I'd say the answer to your question is yes.

If we compare the two events though, having your best player and captain request a release not even a week in to a new coach's appointment is a much more damning condemnation of a coach than a couple of young blokes who by their own admission overreacted.
Well what about the scenario Flanno tossed up that the request came in a few weeks ago. Club is sitting on it. It might of been because of Ryles and being a rookie as he has said dont want to be part of a new beginning. You dont even know why and when it happened. Would make sense why Flanno was so eager to reach out before given the gig. We will wait and see if you are right.

Has Flanagan been appointed by the club? Or has he just decided to appoint himself?

“I received the great news today that the St George Illawarra Dragons board have unanimously supported my appointment as Head Coach starting in 2024,” Flanagan said in a statement to foxsports.com.au.

Nothing on the Dragons website about this unanimous support he speaks off. In any case, congrats Flano, I bet McGregor wishes he'd just thought to extend his own contract.

Oh, and sack Flano. Kyle too while we're at it, just in case.
Need to read the fine print

It was signed Kyle xx

Mojo

Bench
No. He hasn't started yet!

Dragons22

Juniors
Not Flanagan’s fault Hunt wants a release. Hunt’s ego is the issue. This club finally signed a proven winner as coach, unlike the dud we use to have that was mates with Hunt.
Who does Hunt think he is. Signed a contract last year knowing full well his dud mate wasn’t guaranteed to have a job here. Team wasn’t getting results and club made the right decision to move on. What did Hunt expect? The club to continue on with the coach that holds the worst winning record here?
No player can dictate who they want as coach. The club was nice enough to consult with Hunt over Flanagan though.
How dare he think he’s bigger than the club. Especially as the club captain. Disgraceful leadership from him. I wouldn’t want to play with him if I was a Dragons player. How could you play for a captain that doesn’t want to be there.
The immediate release pisses me off the most.
What’s your reason Hunt? Oh, you want to win a premiership? Ok. Yeah; that’s really going to happen with the Titans or Bulldogs. Don’t play us for fools with that reason. You couldn’t be bothered to work hard and help bring this club back to glory. And it’s all about money too. You’ve made millions from this club. How dare you.

denis preston

First Grade
This aged well !

denis preston

First Grade

Overreaction like this thread ?

dragon thomo

Juniors
This is a time we should stand behind our Coach to be Shane Flannagan wether we like him or not. I know this thread was put upon jest but while we are under pressure by our piss weak captain Ben Hunt this post should be free deleted.

Gippsy

Bench

I think it is a similar situation. Other clubs were in the ears of the young players, causing unrest, and the same is happening with Hunt. No-one asks for an immediate release without having a club to go to. The selling points are pretty easy, guarantee the number 7, have a shot at a title, move back closer to home, a good coach, a functional board etc, take your pick.

This Year?

Immortal
Well that's just plain mean.

I didn't call you a worthless, spadge-avoiding, anal queef so why would you throw such an insult at me?
Tears welled in my eyes when I first read that Ruthless.
Tears welled in my eyes when I read this
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

thebigredv

First Grade
Hunt, Su’a, Suli, Lomax, Sullivan and Sloan..
All have voiced their longing to be elsewhere or have requested a release. Kerr and Woods have taken flight this season

That’s a lot of potential talent that’s not happy at the Dragons. It makes sense we can barely win a game.

will Flanagan realistically be able to work with this as a foundation for a competitive footy team? I don’t envy him.