What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

dannyt

Coach
Hunt, Su’a, Suli, Lomax, Sullivan and Sloan..
All have voiced their longing to be elsewhere or have requested a release. Kerr and Woods have taken flight this season

That’s a lot of potential talent that’s not happy at the Dragons. It makes sense we can barely win a game.

will Flanagan realistically be able to work with this as a foundation for a competitive footy team? I don’t envy him.
I agree regarding Flano's task, but what a coup if he manages to makes us successful.

However, I think your first point is more complicated. Hunt wants to leave because hook was sacked, while Su'a, Lomax, Sullivan, and Sloan wanted to leave because hook was still there. Hopefully, we can get what we can for Hunt, while the other four should be happier with the change in coach.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm not going to defend Flanagan this year because he was silly enough to take the gig but I will remain adamant we have a lot of pretend football players in our team and barely a finals match experience between them for good reason. Our chances of winning a game will always depend on how ready the opposition turn up. If the other team turns up we will struggle to even compete against about 14 teams in this comp and the others are a toss of the coin job.

We didn't even turn up and that caught me off guard. I suppose Flanagan is responsible in part but he will be as livid as you and I.

Dragon David

First Grade
Bennett got his players to run us ragged. He knew our weaknesses and they are many.

Flanno hardly wins against Bennett and our players were just not big enough and fast enough to score.

It is still very early days but if Flanno cannot get the guys to bounce back next week - we know what happens on this type of thread - it will snowball.

I'm really pissed at how bad we played but then, the reason for this is how well the Dolphins played and they were a much better team on the day. To get beaten by 38-0 reminds me of the grand final against Easts in 1975. Embarrassing then and embarrassing again today.

DJDL

Bench
Leilua comes into the squad and the team start cutting corners, taking short cuts and looking for the easy option.

Coincidence?

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Bennett got his players to run us ragged. He knew our weaknesses and they are many.

Flanno hardly wins against Bennett and our players were just not big enough and fast enough to score.

It is still very early days but if Flanno cannot get the guys to bounce back next week - we know what happens on this type of thread - it will snowball.

I'm really pissed at how bad we played but then, the reason for this is how well the Dolphins played and they were a much better team on the day. To get beaten by 38-0 reminds me of the grand final against Easts in 1975. Embarrassing then and embarrassing again today.
turn the team around?, there is 0 chance we will beat the cowboys, they will party next week

Dragon Blood

Juniors
PFFFFfFFFT.
What a shonk!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT JUST THE PLAYERS AND COACH BUT THE WHOLE CLUB!

I’m done, I’m embarrassed, I’m out of hope I’m OUT!

NO Thanks for the memories to the lebo and greek that have ruined this once great game to throw the boot in on my way out

F this shit example of Entertainment that the US public will not spend a nickel on.

matPORTS

Juniors
Flanno will be judged by his ability to bounce the squad back after defeats like this (this will be the first of several) and keep us grounded after our wins (of which we will also have more similar to last week).

There will also be a judgement on the recruitment, retention and internal promotions from the lower grades. We also have to get our expectations in check about this pretty quick smart as well because their ain't much of note on the open market and the current crop of juniors are still very raw, and if we are going to move players on early in contract ie. Lomax this will need to be done smart with something coming back our way.

We are going to be a big "rocks & diamonds" team this year. Strap in for the ride.

This was never going to be turned around in one pre-season + two regular season games.

... and did some of us expect that Ryles would have had the current playing roster playing any better?

Dragon David

First Grade
I expected a very tough game today and that our bubble could get burst but I didn't expect an horrendous loss by 38-0. That score will be the biggest black mark on Flanno's resume' and we will be taking whatever he says with a grain of salt from now on. OK, it was 10-0. We were still in it, but it was obvious we had a lot missing with attitude, execution, belief, decision making, effort, etc. etc. and once they scored to make it 16-0 the writing was well and truly on the wall.

The Dolphins just shut us out with more determination and effort. We were over powered in attack and defence by them and once they scored again and again, it was just curtains for us and things just became so grim, that I couldn't watch the game for the last 15 minutes.

My heart says that Flanno will help us get more wins this year but my head says that we will be close to that bottom rung of the ladder come September.

Our squad is just not good enough in this competition no matter who the coach is I'm afraid.

thebigredv

First Grade
Flanno will be judged by his ability to bounce the squad back after defeats like this (this will be the first of several) and keep us grounded after our wins (of which we will also have more similar to last week).

There will also be a judgement on the recruitment, retention and internal promotions from the lower grades. We also have to get our expectations in check about this pretty quick smart as well because their ain't much of note on the open market and the current crop of juniors are still very raw, and if we are going to move players on early in contract ie. Lomax this will need to be done smart with something coming back our way.

We are going to be a big "rocks & diamonds" team this year. Strap in for the ride.

This was never going to be turned around in one pre-season + two regular season games.

... and did some of us expect that Ryles would have had the current playing roster playing any better?
Nailed it with your assessment. I think there will be a lot of rocks and diamonds after having witnessed the last two weeks. That's the type of players most of them are on an individual basis and they will continue to give us some good and bad surprises.

I think Shane will be able to get a response from the players to some degree next week. Problem is he really shouldn't have to. If they were more professional they'd be putting in the extra hard yards all on their own and that's my deep worry for this playing group. Their commitment and mentality is woeful. If Flanno can make inroads with this then he's a genius.

TheRev

First Grade
I am praying we can have some more surprise wins throughout the year.. try to get above the tigers... It's 2-3yrs to fix the roster both externally & bottom-up through our up-and-coming teenage stars, Flanno has to get us some respect (and keep his job) for that time period.. it will not be easy.. I've been saying our roster is 17th for a while, but not many seem to agree.. what im hoping is that Flanno can build these players to the point that we are more like 14th.. and then we can look at taking the next jump... but that is not easy.. and the new recruits we are getting like Tuipulotu and Leilua need a tonne of work to get them to 1st grade standard (Mentally for Tui and Physically for Leilua), its very hard when we have to take scraps and no off-season to fix em..

56to66

Juniors
PFFFFfFFFT.
What a shonk!!!!!!!!!!!!
NOT JUST THE PLAYERS AND COACH BUT THE WHOLE CLUB!

I’m done, I’m embarrassed, I’m out of hope I’m OUT!

NO Thanks for the memories to the lebo and greek that have ruined this once great game to throw the boot in on my way out

F this shit example of Entertainment that the US public will not spend a nickel on.
I clearly remember the revival of the 1991 St George Dragons under Brian Smith, 92,93 Grand Finalists. I really thought last week was a turning point for this club, however they did the same last year, beating the Titans convincingly at Kogarah, then they lost the plot, same shit will happen this year.
The St George Dragons sold there souls, the Red V should be retired for good, this crap club should just do what the haters wanted 26 years ago to eradicate St George for good.
Time is ticking for me, if nothing changes by the end of 2025, I am 1000% finished from ever following rugby league again.
They should just call themselves the Illawarra Steelers and be done with it.

Latest posts