What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Nightward

Juniors
Bring back Bennett please

Yes and no.

The big problem is that there was nobody who could really step up when he left. Bennett is getting older and retirement would have to be on his mind.

Eventually, we'd lose him again and be back to square one.

If he does return, I'd prefer it to be in a mentoring/Gold-at-the-Panthers role to re-organise the club and get things back on track for long-term success. If he comes back as head coach, it's a short-term fix that won't help in the long term.

If he can come back and teach Griffin, I'd have no issues with that. I'm just not sure that Griffin is a long-term solution any more either, and would prefer Bennett and Walters.

I especially wouldn't want Lockyer as coach- not only am I unconvinced that good players make good coaches, throwing someone completely new to the game in at the deep end is a bad idea all around. Then on top of that you've got the problem that forced Bennett to get rid of Walters and Lazarus prior to our last premiership- they were too close to the playing group to coach and lead them effectively.

TheFrog

Coach
Wayne Bennett is not Phil Gould.

I'd like to see the old coot try to get his premiership at 3 different clubs. Something Gould would have achieved in a much shorter time had he not handed over to Sticky...you really don't think the 2002 title was Sticky's do you?

I've not seen evidence that Benny is top of the pile in player recruitment like Gould is. He's just a coach. He would have stayed at the Knights except they now can't afford him.

Whether he's got another title in him is debateable anyway. I think he has lost some of his magic in latter years....the Knights don't have the discipline this year of a Bennett coached side, and even last year they lost Kade Snowden to two suspensions, the second for the whole finals series, that would not have happened under a younger Bennett.

bfoord

Juniors
Wayne Bennett is not Phil Gould.

I'd like to see the old coot try to get his premiership at 3 different clubs. Something Gould would have achieved in a much shorter time had he not handed over to Sticky...you really don't think the 2002 title was Sticky's do you?

I've not seen evidence that Benny is top of the pile in player recruitment like Gould is. He's just a coach. He would have stayed at the Knights except they now can't afford him.

Whether he's got another title in him is debateable anyway. I think he has lost some of his magic in latter years....the Knights don't have the discipline this year of a Bennett coached side, and even last year they lost Kade Snowden to two suspensions, the second for the whole finals series, that would not have happened under a younger Bennett.

No one except Stuart does ... His 2002 premiership belongs to Graham Murray

renouf

Juniors
Bring him back, Bennett would bring the best out of the side we have. Bring some stability to our game, which has been all over the shop since Lockyer retired (one of the last of bennett's legacy).

Dazzat

First Grade
Parker's done a good job at giving Bennett the cold shoulder in the press last night. When the captain of a club basically tells a prospective coach (Bennett) to sod off, it kinda reduces the chances of that coaching coming ...

AceAv

Juniors
Wait what happened here Daz? -This seems really un professional and questionable if it actually happened?

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Parker's done a good job at giving Bennett the cold shoulder in the press last night. When the captain of a club basically tells a prospective coach (Bennett) to sod off, it kinda reduces the chances of that coaching coming ...

Except that's not what he did. He basically told the media to stop speculating about it, while still paying respect to Bennett. He put full support behind his current coach, but in no way did he imply he wants Bennett to "sod off".

Clearly he was asked by either Griffin or the board to show his support - as a captain should.

What's more unprofessional? A captain showing support for his current coach, or welcoming in a new one before the future of his current coach has even been decided?

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
The whole club needs a cleanout and Bennett is the person who can do this for the club.
Look, lets be honest, the club has not grown since Bennett left. White has not grown memberships or crowds, the coach has tried every different combination to get the team performing, they have bought so many dud players we are looking like the Titans.
This club should have close to 50 thousand members, our city should be looking at a second team because the Broncos are packed, none of this has happened,. They are quite easy to just sit back and pat each other on the back while the fans suffered in silence.

We need a premiership next year, the only coach who can deliver that at this point in time is Bennett.

Nightward

Juniors
the coach has tried every different combination to get the team performing.

That's kind of the problem, though. He hasn't. He's tried a few combinations and chosen what doesn't work over what does.

Bennett coming back is a step in the right direction, but either we need to get Walters as well or make sure Griffin serves an apprenticeship under Bennett so that when he does retire we have a worthy replacement.

Otherwise we'll be back on the Bennett/Henjack/Griffin/etc carousel all over again.

Dazzat

First Grade
The big issue is this: Bennett must come to the club and not just coach the players, but coach the new coach, who presumably will be Kevin Walters.

He must also get rid of Kearney. How did this guy keep his job, when last year as defensive coach he gave us the worst missed tackle statistics in the league?

The other big questions is who will coach the team until the end of the year? The rumour is that Griffin will be given his marching orders this afternoon. Surely not Kearney. Walters perhaps - plucked from the Hunter Valley?

oikee

Juniors
The big issue is this: Bennett must come to the club and not just coach the players, but coach the new coach, who presumably will be Kevin Walters.

He must also get rid of Kearney. How did this guy keep his job, when last year as defensive coach he gave us the worst missed tackle statistics in the league?

The other big questions is who will coach the team until the end of the year? The rumour is that Griffin will be given his marching orders this afternoon. Surely not Kearney. Walters perhaps - plucked from the Hunter Valley?

I dont think Kearney is the problem. Defence is attitude, if the players dont perform for their coach then even Gillmiester cant help them.

Bennett and Kearney won a world cup together, lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Kearney is the next Broncos coach after Bennett.

It sounds like the Knights are looking to let Bennett go early, so we might see Bennett at the Broncos yet for a run into the finals. Either way, the Broncos future is now secured with the pair of hillbillies Hook and the miner gone.
This is no way to run or grow a powerhouse club, and thank goodness Murdock and the board finally seen some sense.
The Broncos outfit was starting to lose ground on other codes in Brisbane, this now can surely reignite not only the Broncos, but the expansion team as well.
The city needs a derby, big time. Now it is time for Dave Smith to stand and be counted, stop playing nancy ball and start the ball rolling on expansion, if he cant grow the code,(which he has still failed to do) then get out, step aside, and bring in Marwon Kaukash as the new CEO, a forward thinking billionaire.

Snappy

Coach
Broncos players called to meeting to be told Wayne Bennett will replace Anthony Griffin

BRONCOS players have been called in to club headquarters on their day off for an 11am meeting where they will be told Wayne Bennett will be their coach next year.
It is expected Anthony Griffin will not see out the season after he was told this morning the final year of his contract will not be honoured.

Paul White met with Griffin early this morning to deliver him the news that his four-year reign as Broncos coach would end this year.
White and Griffin are best mates with a friendship spanning decades and the chief executive of the NRL’s most profitable club may also fall on his sword.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...-anthony-griffin/story-fndv2w3r-1226995830044

oikee

Juniors
White has to go, his position is now untenable and he has failed to grow the Broncos and allowed Souths to beat him in memberships.
The Broncos had a chance to hire a NFL manager who was in charge of gameday and record memberships, they choose Whitey the miner.
This backward thinking has to cease with the NRL clubs, we are taking two steps backwards every year.
While other codes laugh at us and thrive.
We have billionaires trying to knock our doors down, and we tell em to f_ _ k off.

Last edited:

oikee

Juniors
Here is just a small example of the billionaire parties we have vertually thrown out the door.
The guy from Perth who wanted a NRL team, Backdoor Bennies mate.
Clive Palmer, Nathen Tinkler, (yes he went broke, but the game could not wait to throw him to the dogs/)
Queensland Rail and the Rockhampton meat king.
Now Marwan Kaukash and he has some pretty big money Saudia mates all wanting to get a piece of the action, will our code turn them all away again, then struggle to get the same amount our next TV deal because we have failed to grow the code again. ??

Time to stand, be counted, or get out. Step aside.
Not long ago i mentioned the Nines are the future to our codes growth around the world, even outsiders who dont follow the code can see this form of the game as a major growth path.
We need to act before Union get a tens up and running and beat us to the punch again.

Snappy

Coach
Updated article. Looks like Hook will stay til end of this season.

WAYNE Bennett will sign a three-year deal to return as Broncos head coach with the decision to be announced at 2.30pm.

Broncos players are currently in a meeting at the Broncos’ club headquarters at Red Hill where they are being informed about the change in structure and that Bennett will be their coach next year.
It is expected Anthony Griffin will see out the season after he was told this morning the final year of his contract will not be honoured.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/br...-anthony-griffin/story-fndv2w3r-1226995830044

Last edited:

gUt

Coach
I think part of the missed tackles problem is the fact that most packs are simply bigger and stronger than ours and have been since the days of Civo. The big guys we did try - Sims, Clinton etc - were pretty soft.

Blockade

Juniors
That's kind of the problem, though. He hasn't. He's tried a few combinations and chosen what doesn't work over what does.

Bennett coming back is a step in the right direction, but either we need to get Walters as well or make sure Griffin serves an apprenticeship under Bennett so that when he does retire we have a worthy replacement.

Otherwise we'll be back on the Bennett/Henjack/Griffin/etc carousel all over again.

The only apprenticeship Hook will be serving next year will be as a plumber or a boilermaker because Benny doesn't want him and Hook's coaching career will be headed down the same path as Paul Langmack's

AceAv

Juniors
This is seemingly "good" news for broncos 2015, but as for 2014: if griffin was trying before to get us a premiership p, I hate to imagine how much effort he is going to put in now.

Not that I expected us to get that far, but you always enjoy a sniff of the food even if you are starving.

Other concerns I have are:
-do the players even want Bennett and will we lose some over this. I would hate to lose Anyone in the current starting roster. -especially Parker
-is benno the same coach that he once was? Because his record at the Knights is certainly questionable