What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Listening to Flanagan’s commentary he actually sounds like a smart coach analysing the game as it unfolds and the differing strengths and weaknesses of the opposing teams. I honestly don’t think there’s a better viable option on the market than him at the moment.
Yeah he was really insightful on the weekend when he made a statement that Ramsey has only played a dozen or so games (only 19 games off the mark there Flanno). Similar to when he couldn't remember Mat Feagai's name a few games prior so referred to him as 'the young winger'.

Surely this fella who was an assistant in the failed McGregor years and now is in charge of our non existent signings for this season, should know the names and backgrounds of some of our best up and coming players.

You might enjoy his commentary but to me I always can't believe when he makes errors like I've alluded to above that someone of his stature is expected to know. Was he the one that told Mary that Reece Robson was Rhys Robinson?

redv13

Bench
Yeah he was really insightful on the weekend when he made a statement that Ramsey has only played a dozen or so games (only 19 games off the mark there Flanno). Similar to when he couldn't remember Mat Feagai's name a few games prior so referred to him as 'the young winger'.

Surely this fella who was an assistant in the failed McGregor years and now is in charge of our non existent signings for this season, should know the names and backgrounds of some of our best up and coming players.

You might enjoy his commentary but to me I always can't believe when he makes errors like I've alluded to above that someone of his stature is expected to know. Was he the one that told Mary that Reece Robson was Rhys Robinson?
I’m torn with Flanno. Part of me hates his guts and hate the fact that we as a club have him on the payroll considering the crap he’s done in the past. He does have a smart footy brain and has a win at all costs mentality but he just screams grub like Cronulla or Canterbury. Plus he was practically slutting himself in the media for the doggies job when Tbaz got the bullet. f**k this shit!!!

BLM01

First Grade
I’m torn with Flanno. Part of me hates his guts and hate the fact that we as a club have him on the payroll considering the crap he’s done in the past. He does have a smart footy brain and has a win at all costs mentality but he just screams grub like Cronulla or Canterbury. Plus he was practically slutting himself in the media for the doggies job when Tbaz got the bullet. f**k this shit!!!
No he was not. The media asked questions. He just answered them.
He most likely would get the gig if they hook hook which they still may not yet anyway

redv13

Bench
No he was not. The media asked questions. He just answered them.
He most likely would get the gig if they hook hook which they still may not yet anyway
Well I guess we interpret things differently mate. From what I consistently heard from his radio gigs and fox gigs it certainly sounded like a man who was desperately pushing his own barrow and had very little loyalty to his current employers. I distinctly remember him saying he would love to coach the bulldogs. Hence he can go f**k himself and Saints should look elsewhere

Old Timer

Coach
OK so let's sack Hook.

Some people in here advocating for Barrett & Brown to be part of the next coaching structure.

Really for god's sake WTF have either of them achieved in resurrecting sinking ships. FFS they have only added more ballast to the hulk they failed to turn around let alone do anything with.

Some advocating for Flanno well he has been part of the deck chairs being moved around at our club and by all means tell me what has he actually achieved.

He achieved a premiership through questionable means and has been less than brutally honest about his role in all that shit. He is a dumb f**k to listen to re commentary and gets many things wrong including players names etc so IMO not even close to being the smartest tool in the shed.

Some people pushing the above barrows also lead the no Dean Young campaign but if there is anyone out of those I have mentioned that can even remotely make a claim that he has achieved something at a train wreck club then Dean Young has to be the closest thing there is and please don't take that as being a yes vote from me as I am merely trying to be objective and fair in any assessment.

Fitzzy has done well at the Sharks and will be there for a ;long time to come whilst all the other old wood in the coaching ranks (save Bellamy, Robbo & Cleary) continue to have their clubs tread water and merely make up the numbers so they are not going to provide us with a way out of this hole we have dug our way into.

IMO it's either CC or maybe take the ultimate risk of a combination of Ryles in charge with Young & Hornby as the assistants.

possm

Coach
Barrett is a good assistant coach; he did a great job at Penrith.
Brown has already been tapped on the shoulder to look after baby Dean Young who will no doubt be the Dragon's next head coach.

That leaves Flanno with no place to go and the without an experienced coach in charge.

Unsainty79

Juniors
You’d very much doubt IF Griffin gets sacked that D Young gets the role. He’s got 18 months left on his deal at the Cowboys and they are looking good for a top 4 spot and premiership tilt in the next year or so. It’s a big move from Wollongong to Townsville, especially if he has a family, to move back within 18 - I doubt it. D Young will have other clubs knocking at his door in a year or so.

The dragons are career ending and that’s why we got Griffin and Furner as our applicants.

mickeylane

Bench
interesting piece by Andrew Webster today saying Dragons should go all in on Ciraldo ..heres a small out take from the piece .

"
In truth, Ciraldo is the man the Dragons have wanted all along.

When the Dragons parted ways with Paul McGregor two years ago, one of the first coaches they went after was Ciraldo.
He knocked them back, saying he wasn’t ready. The club fumbled around in the dark and, at a Tuesday board meeting, made one last play for Paul Green, who had been released by the Cowboys.
He wasn’t interested, so the club appointed Griffin. Now, the window is open again, if ever so slightly, to get Ciraldo."

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
There is an article in today's Telegraph quoting Craig Young saying Griffin's job is not on the agenda for today's Board meeting. They are very happy with him and the mid-year presentation he made to the Board re juniors.
You wonder where all these stories start.
The board is convinced, but us fans not so much. Would love to get an understanding of what Hook’s plans are. Would love to understand what the point of signing the likes of McCullough and Sharon is. Would love it if Hook is an absolute genius and proves me wrong and leaves me with egg on my face. Supporting this club gives me chest pains

dungay dragon

Juniors
The board is convinced, but us fans not so much. Would love to get an understanding of what Hook’s plans are. Would love to understand what the point of signing the likes of McCullough and Sharon is. Would love it if Hook is an absolute genius and proves me wrong and leaves me with egg on my face. Supporting this club gives me chest pains
Hook Is Gone..............
When the Chairman comes out and says
' the coach has the boards full support ' he is RS ....
Next.............

mickeylane

Bench
My thoughts are that Craig Young coming out today supporting Hook only tells me that the succession plan for Dean Young to take over is in play for 2024.. Craig Young can control the narrative as the Chairman until Hooks contract expires next year leaving the door wide open for Dean Young to walk straight in..
makes me sick !!

Unsainty79

Juniors
There is an article in today's Telegraph quoting Craig Young saying Griffin's job is not on the agenda for today's Board meeting. They are very happy with him and the mid-year presentation he made to the Board re juniors.
You wonder where all these stories start.
Where there is smoke, there is fire. Griffin has to be under pressure, whether he gets punted mid-year, I am not so sure. Mary was safe as houses and not discussed at the board meeting; however, one day later an emergency board meeting comprised of the sub-committee was convened and he was punted.

I think its worth pointing out that a Chairman or Chairperson is not a person who controls all, they are there to ensure that meetings and decision are made in accordance to law, whether it be legal or constitutional. They also service as a deadlock decider.

From my understanding, as Chair, Craig Young is not a part of sub-committee in regards to the coach, or coaching staffs recruitment or retention. So I would take what he says with a grain of salt.

It is interesting that Flanagan has been bypassed by all clubs with vacant positions, though. As a young coach such as Young or Ciraldo, you'd have to be bonkers to take the role at the Dragons. It is poisoned.

st.phil

Bench
puts a whole new layer of spice on fridays game - IMO, gotta go back to JDB + Lawrie starting front row, Bird stays at lock and Feagai into the centres, Sloan in for Moga, Bud in for Mbye, Sims to bench.

But it's hook (or mcguire??) picking the team so it will be bird into the centres, moga retained, bud 18th man