What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Hey Kolum Kid

your not wrong it what you have stated, there’s always a but, where is all this money and support from WIN Corp to make the Dragons a powerhouse. I hear crickets, there was never going to be anything support from them period. And what do we have all seen over the years since Coach left absolute shit. The sport management team from Wollongong or Bingo waste would have been the way to go both are Dragons Supporter’s and the management were not going to allow that to happen because they would have been out in their arses

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Hey Kolum Kid

your not wrong it what you have stated, there’s always a but, where is all this money and support from WIN Corp to make the Dragons a powerhouse. I hear crickets, there was never going to be anything support from them period. And what do we have all seen over the years since Coach left absolute shit. The sport management team from Wollongong or Bingo waste would have been the way to go both are Dragons Supporter’s and the management were not going to allow that to happen because they would have been out in their arses
Any smart coach would surely want some assurances that the board would loosen the purse strings before signing on.

redv13

Bench
I’d be shocked if Griffin is sacked tomorrow. It’s not the Saints way to do things. They will give him the rest of the season and when things are totally screwed and we finish 11th maybe then will something happen. By that stage Flanno will probably be picked up by another club and we are left holding our balls yet again

Dragon David

First Grade
Redv13 said:

"I’d be shocked if Griffin is sacked tomorrow. It’s not the Saints way to do things. They will give him the rest of the season and when things are totally screwed and we finish 11th maybe then will something happen. By that stage Flanno will probably be picked up by another club and we are left holding our balls yet again."

We are a dead set basket case of a club. I'm not going to go over all of the things we have been saying for years about our Board, coaches, players etc as enough has been said about them.

Something just has to be done to finally get us out of this never ending saga of dramas - even the best author of dramas would put an end to this misery and kill the main characters off and the heroes live happily ever after, but the reality is here with us and there is no author but maybe some good Dragon supporting journo can put pen to paper or fingers on laptop keypads to do a write up to bring all of the dramas to a head and get the attention of more media people to rub things in so that something terrific is done. That "terrific" term is anybodies guess.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Hey Kolum Kid

The club wanted their money but didn’t want them to have say

Coffs dragon

Bench
Yes the main culprit was P. DOUST..Bennett new he was a real parasite, banned him from any contact with the players.
I don’t believe that’s entirely correct as I recall Bennett praising Doust as one of the best CEO’s.

matPORTS

Juniors
Redv13 said:

"I’d be shocked if Griffin is sacked tomorrow. It’s not the Saints way to do things. They will give him the rest of the season and when things are totally screwed and we finish 11th maybe then will something happen. By that stage Flanno will probably be picked up by another club and we are left holding our balls yet again."

We are a dead set basket case of a club. I'm not going to go over all of the things we have been saying for years about our Board, coaches, players etc as enough has been said about them.

Something just has to be done to finally get us out of this never ending saga of dramas - even the best author of dramas would put an end to this misery and kill the main characters off and the heroes live happily ever after, but the reality is here with us and there is no author but maybe some good Dragon supporting journo can put pen to paper or fingers on laptop keypads to do a write up to bring all of the dramas to a head and get the attention of more media people to rub things in so that something terrific is done. That "terrific" term is anybodies guess.
This

Again, there has been no 'net improvement' since McGregor was moved on now just on near two years ago to the day.

Whenever my fellow NRL supporting mates ask me during summer BBQ and Beers "where do you think the Dragons will finish this year" - my answer for the entire Price/Mary/Hook era has been the same... at our best and with a bit of luck in respect to injuries and attitude, the best we can hope for would be about 7th or 8th, with the lowest being about 12th. The way we are coached, the way we recruit and the way we promote our juniors (or lack thereof) has us as what you might be able to classify as a 'lower-middle of the road' team. I think my standard yearly prediction has been pretty close to spot on during the entirety of the Price/Mary/Hook era.

On a couple of occasions we finished lower than 12th. But by golly, it would be nice to be wrong but in the upwards direction for a change !

Again, and in all fairness, Hook coming in has probably saved what would have been a complete implosion towards the wooden spoon and our salary cap being completely messed up for a good 3-5 years had Mary stayed any longer (in similar style to Bulldogs & Tigers in recent times - and even now the Titans). But he has already shown his cards that he is not the long term answer.

HenryTatana

Juniors

Webster is on the case again. Article from this arvo's SMH.​

OPINION​

Why the Dragons must go all-in on Cameron Ciraldo​

Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer
July 18, 2022 — 11.45am
Save

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=518506048
On Wednesday night, the St George District Rugby League Football Club will announce its Team of the Century, and you suspect inductees must be either a god or an Immortal to make the cut, such is the Red V’s storied history.
One name that won’t appear on the team sheet, though, is the man responsible for most it: club secretary Frank Facer.

The Dragons board will meet to discuss coach Anthony Griffin and the team's performances.
Otherwise known as “Fearless”, Facer was a shrewd negotiator and strategist, enticing generations of future superstars to the club in the 1950s and ’60s as first grade went on a run of 11 premierships.
Whether it was dropping just the right words in a bar to a young Graeme Langlands or securing winger Eddie Lumsden in a closed Hunter Valley pub on a Sunday morning, Facer was often one step ahead of his rivals.

It’s time for St George Illawarra powerbrokers to work at a similar pace and go after Cameron Ciraldo.
Do it before the Bulldogs snap him up. Do it before the hole the Dragons are digging for themselves gets deeper and wider.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin is under scrutiny.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
As reported by Herald colleague Michael Chammas, the board will discuss coach Anthony Griffin’s future at a meeting on Tuesday. Never a good sign.
They won’t sack him, nor should they. The Dragons are 11th on the ladder, two points out of the top eight. Titans coach Justin Holbrook seems to be struggling as much as Griffin.

But it must be disappointing to be discussing the coach’s future in mid-July with so much football left to play.
The board extended Griffin’s deal in February for 2023, to head off the type of endless speculation reserved for Wests Tigers coaches.

Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo is a man in demand.
In fairness, the Dragons had been playing reasonable football but second-half face plants against the Broncos and Roosters mean the chatter about Griffin’s future is getting louder.
Familiar complaints about him losing the confidence of some players have been around for some time. Just as it was during his time at the Broncos and Panthers, life can get frosty if you aren’t in Griffin’s inner circle.

Consecutive defeats have amplified that talk, and it’s reflected in how they often play: looking like good things one minute (think Zac Lomax dancing around defenders) and plodders the next (think Zac Lomax giving away penalties or missing tackles or doing something so very Zac Lomax-ish).
It’s frustrating because they could be everything or nothing — the Dragons and Zac Lomax.
You look at the speed of Cody Ramsey; the raw, unrefined skill of Talatau Amone; the throwback qualities of Blake Lawrie; the contained fury of Jack de Belin, and you think this team is a top-eight lock.
Then they flame out and either lose the match or just fall over the line against inferior opposition.
Time for action. Time for the Dragons board to channel its inner-Facer and go after Ciraldo.

Whether CEO Ryan Webb has it in him is debatable. But board member Peter Doust pulled off a stunning coup when he signed Wayne Bennett in 2009 and went painfully close to doing it again in 2015 before Bennett backflipped.

The Sydney Roosters take on the St George Dragons in round 18 of the 2022 NRL season.
Clubs have been all over Ciraldo, the Panthers assistant, like an open house on a Saturday morning. The Tigers were so keen on him they visited twice, offered way over the reserve, and still couldn’t seal the deal.
Ciraldo has politely declined all offers, safe in the knowledge he has a job at the Panthers for as long as he wants while making sure he accepts the right offer. The game is quickly becoming a graveyard of unwanted assistant coaches, and he’s not in a hurry to join them.
He’s told those close to him, however, he likes the look of the Dragons because of the potential of their juniors.

​If anyone understands this better than most, it’s Ciraldo. He’s nurtured the best young talent in the Panthers system since 2014.
The question the Dragons board must ask itself is how far do they think Griffin can take them from next year onwards — and how far could they go under Ciraldo?
A veteran coach whose team appears to be, at best, paddling — or the next big thing who has served a long apprenticeship?
In truth, Ciraldo is the man the Dragons have wanted all along.

When the Dragons parted ways with Paul McGregor two years ago, one of the first coaches they went after was Ciraldo.
He knocked them back, saying he wasn’t ready. The club fumbled around in the dark and, at a Tuesday board meeting, made one last play for Paul Green, who had been released by the Cowboys.
He wasn’t interested, so the club appointed Griffin. Now, the window is open again, if ever so slightly, to get Ciraldo.
I wonder what “Fearless” Frank Facer would do.

URL LINK: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...ll-in-on-cameron-ciraldo-20220718-p5b2bo.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Panther

Juniors
I think the only option is Flannagan to step in for the rest of the season and see how he performs whilst they decide on what to do next. I was listening to fox and it ticked me off that he seemed to have all the answers to the dragons problems so why are they not being implemented or at least given a go. He is part of the club WTF is going on at the coaching levels at the dragons. Also if I was Flannagan would I be assisting Hook knowing that I could be a frontrunner for his job if it all goes to shite , which it has. My thoughts were there was always something wrong by having a premiership winning coach sitting in the background doing some half arsed job, whilst the head coach is floundering, you guys can work out the mechanics of that situation. Another season of poor state of affairs by the board, with a topline decision to resign Hook falling flat on their arses, maybe they should have considered team performance and success rather than come up with a lame duck excuse of team stability. Wow its really stable at the Dragons now, we couldnt be in a better place, AGAIN !!!!
The problem with Hook same as his time at Penrith, he wants to do everything his way. Players turned in him and there was a divided group, not many on Hooks side. An assistant Coach is there to help and he just seems to never take advice from anyone.
He has got the Old school teacher mentality. He certainly is a good footy brain though.

Reflector

Bench
Maybe I'm asking for trouble but I want to see Dean Young back in coach's seat at the Dragons at some point.

He is everything that Hook is not.

Passionate about the red v not just earning his keep.
Adaptable, and able to move with the times, not set on his ways
Has been part of a recent success

Did I mention he is passionate about the red v? Reckon passion would have seen us in the eight this year.
Passion?

That trait is only available if you wear a maroon jersey 3 games a year!

justadragon

Bench
The problem with Hook same as his time at Penrith, he wants to do everything his way. Players turned in him and there was a divided group, not many on Hooks side. An assistant Coach is there to help and he just seems to never take advice from anyone.
He has got the Old school teacher mentality. He certainly is a good footy brain though.
He might have a good footy brain but without the right communication skills and respect of ALL the players, he is going nowhere, you cant look at the Dragons and say wow they are really putting in for Hook, all we say is WTF did Hook say to them at half time. Time will tell where this saga ends.

redv13

Bench
Peter Gentle assistant coach. No wonder we’re f**ked. I was more than happy to support Griffin after the baldy debacle but even I’ve had a gut full and now I’m becoming bitter. So over this shit.

Time to f**k off Macca, Woods, Mbye, put a rocket up Lomax’s arse, sort out this shit with Sullivan and Sloan and get them into 1st grade every week.

TruSaint

Referee
Peter Gentle assistant coach. No wonder we’re f**ked. I was more than happy to support Griffin after the baldy debacle but even I’ve had a gut full and now I’m becoming bitter. So over this shit.

Time to f**k off Macca, Woods, Mbye, put a rocket up Lomax’s arse, sort out this shit with Sullivan and Sloan and get them into 1st grade every week.

The game has gone past him.

Recent signing have his print all over them. Players that once were fine, but unwanted by anyone considering challenging.

His game plan is old school. It may have worked years back, but as we have all said at infinitum , not anywhere near good enough for the speed of the current game.

When your target is 8th, it says alot in a 16 team comp.

denis preston

First Grade
Seriously what are the Board going to do? If they sack Hook now it's more disruptive than BBQ gate and you can expect results to go down the sh*t chute. If they keep Hook now they've flagged the fact they don't think much of him, he'll probably start looking for his next opportunity, and you can expect results to go down the sh*t chute. All the board meeting shows is the board is incompetent, firstly by extending Hooks contract in the first place, and then by creating major uncertainty over the butt end of the season. Whatever happens now, we won't make the eight, we have no hope of attracting a proven coach, and we have no hope of attracting decent players. To me this looks like absolutely the worst thing the Board could do.
Don't sides normally improve with a change of coach, even an interim one ?

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I’d be shocked if Griffin is sacked tomorrow. It’s not the Saints way to do things. They will give him the rest of the season and when things are totally screwed and we finish 11th maybe then will something happen. By that stage Flanno will probably be picked up by another club and we are left holding our balls yet again
Originally I thought the same thing but this time it feels different...I think Griffin has made one or two enemies in high places and his results to date aren't there to hold him up.

Dragon David

First Grade

Webster is on the case again. Article from this arvo's SMH.​

OPINION​

Why the Dragons must go all-in on Cameron Ciraldo​

Andrew Webster

Andrew Webster

Chief Sports Writer
July 18, 2022 — 11.45am
Save

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/live-scores?match=518506048
On Wednesday night, the St George District Rugby League Football Club will announce its Team of the Century, and you suspect inductees must be either a god or an Immortal to make the cut, such is the Red V’s storied history.
One name that won’t appear on the team sheet, though, is the man responsible for most it: club secretary Frank Facer.

The Dragons board will meet to discuss coach Anthony Griffin and the team's performances.
Otherwise known as “Fearless”, Facer was a shrewd negotiator and strategist, enticing generations of future superstars to the club in the 1950s and ’60s as first grade went on a run of 11 premierships.
Whether it was dropping just the right words in a bar to a young Graeme Langlands or securing winger Eddie Lumsden in a closed Hunter Valley pub on a Sunday morning, Facer was often one step ahead of his rivals.

It’s time for St George Illawarra powerbrokers to work at a similar pace and go after Cameron Ciraldo.
Do it before the Bulldogs snap him up. Do it before the hole the Dragons are digging for themselves gets deeper and wider.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin is under scrutiny.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
As reported by Herald colleague Michael Chammas, the board will discuss coach Anthony Griffin’s future at a meeting on Tuesday. Never a good sign.
They won’t sack him, nor should they. The Dragons are 11th on the ladder, two points out of the top eight. Titans coach Justin Holbrook seems to be struggling as much as Griffin.

But it must be disappointing to be discussing the coach’s future in mid-July with so much football left to play.
The board extended Griffin’s deal in February for 2023, to head off the type of endless speculation reserved for Wests Tigers coaches.

Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo is a man in demand.
In fairness, the Dragons had been playing reasonable football but second-half face plants against the Broncos and Roosters mean the chatter about Griffin’s future is getting louder.
Familiar complaints about him losing the confidence of some players have been around for some time. Just as it was during his time at the Broncos and Panthers, life can get frosty if you aren’t in Griffin’s inner circle.

Consecutive defeats have amplified that talk, and it’s reflected in how they often play: looking like good things one minute (think Zac Lomax dancing around defenders) and plodders the next (think Zac Lomax giving away penalties or missing tackles or doing something so very Zac Lomax-ish).
It’s frustrating because they could be everything or nothing — the Dragons and Zac Lomax.
You look at the speed of Cody Ramsey; the raw, unrefined skill of Talatau Amone; the throwback qualities of Blake Lawrie; the contained fury of Jack de Belin, and you think this team is a top-eight lock.
Then they flame out and either lose the match or just fall over the line against inferior opposition.
Time for action. Time for the Dragons board to channel its inner-Facer and go after Ciraldo.

Whether CEO Ryan Webb has it in him is debatable. But board member Peter Doust pulled off a stunning coup when he signed Wayne Bennett in 2009 and went painfully close to doing it again in 2015 before Bennett backflipped.

The Sydney Roosters take on the St George Dragons in round 18 of the 2022 NRL season.
Clubs have been all over Ciraldo, the Panthers assistant, like an open house on a Saturday morning. The Tigers were so keen on him they visited twice, offered way over the reserve, and still couldn’t seal the deal.
Ciraldo has politely declined all offers, safe in the knowledge he has a job at the Panthers for as long as he wants while making sure he accepts the right offer. The game is quickly becoming a graveyard of unwanted assistant coaches, and he’s not in a hurry to join them.
He’s told those close to him, however, he likes the look of the Dragons because of the potential of their juniors.

If anyone understands this better than most, it’s Ciraldo. He’s nurtured the best young talent in the Panthers system since 2014.
The question the Dragons board must ask itself is how far do they think Griffin can take them from next year onwards — and how far could they go under Ciraldo?
A veteran coach whose team appears to be, at best, paddling — or the next big thing who has served a long apprenticeship?
In truth, Ciraldo is the man the Dragons have wanted all along.

When the Dragons parted ways with Paul McGregor two years ago, one of the first coaches they went after was Ciraldo.
He knocked them back, saying he wasn’t ready. The club fumbled around in the dark and, at a Tuesday board meeting, made one last play for Paul Green, who had been released by the Cowboys.
He wasn’t interested, so the club appointed Griffin. Now, the window is open again, if ever so slightly, to get Ciraldo.
I wonder what “Fearless” Frank Facer would do.
A good read and thanks for posting Henry. This sort of confirms what I said a few weeks ago after Webster said a lot of this stuff when he was on the Sunday Footy Show on Nine.

I see that the Dragons did go for Ciraldo when the Board got rid of Mary but Ciraldo wasn't ready then. Will he be ready for 2024 and if so, will we be able to get him and furthermore is he the man for the job seeing that he will be a rookie? I think he could be and he has been involved with the youth development at the Panthers since 2014 so it is in him to be heavily involved in the junior players of which we have a significant nursery of.

The Bulldogs are showing a lot of improvement under Potter and if Ciraldo can see this improvement, and the Bulldogs do have already a couple of ex Panthers players and will have Kikkau going there next year, he might consider going to the Bulldogs which would be more than likely than coming to us.

Anyway, let's wait and see - it is always a wait and see with our club.

Latest posts