What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Dragonslayer

First Grade
From what I understand:
Our salary cap is a complete mess. Not as easy as replacing a player with another player of the same value. Hence we've had this 'moneyball' recruiting.
I have a feeling wheels are in motion, albeit very slowly, to get us back on track and progress forward. However, that looks like the end of next season before we can see it in a clearer light.
The, yet Club confirmed, appointment of Woolf, is just the initial indicator of the direction we are heading or trying to head.
I think there's also a 'game of chess' going on in the background, with different maneuvering of people, for different reasons ie: to (a) fix problems and (b) gain valuable experience. A 'new' coach shouldn't have to deal with the current mess we are in.

This is just my take on things.

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
From what I understand:
Our salary cap is a complete mess. Not as easy as replacing a player with another player of the same value. Hence we've had this 'moneyball' recruiting.
I have a feeling wheels are in motion, albeit very slowly, to get us back on track and progress forward. However, that looks like the end of next season before we can see it in a clearer light.
The, yet Club confirmed, appointment of Woolf, is just the initial indicator of the direction we are heading or trying to head.
I think there's also a 'game of chess' going on in the background, with different maneuvering of people, for different reasons ie: to (a) fix problems and (b) gain valuable experience. A 'new' coach shouldn't have to deal with the current mess we are in.

Another reason our cap is a mess is because there's nothing attractive about our club to any young players like there used to be, hence why we end up paying overs on so many players and have to turn to old impending retirees as they have nowhere else to go.

since77

Juniors
The most depressing thing at the moment is that there is literally no light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like the board are stupid enough to give Griffin another year and we’ve signed no new players for next season. I can only see this team going backwards next year. Is there anyone here who can honestly see them improving next year?

Illusion

Bench
The most depressing thing at the moment is that there is literally no light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like the board are stupid enough to give Griffin another year and we’ve signed no new players for next season. I can only see this team going backwards next year. Is there anyone here who can honestly see them improving next year?
Yep and Hook is putting all his eggs in one basket , with Hunt signing on , so what happens if Hunt gets injured long term ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
From what I understand:

I also believe the wheels are in motion behind the scenes, but I’m unsure whom is driving the bus.
If Hook is still at the wheel in 2023 he will drive us off a cliff!

We must become a development club and nurture the junior talent. Ben Woolf seems a good start and hopefully more change is announced at seasons end.

BLM01

First Grade
I also believe the wheels are in motion behind the scenes, but I’m unsure whom is driving the bus.
If Hook is still at the wheel in 2023 he will drive us off a cliff!

We must become a development club and nurture the junior talent. Ben Woolf seems a good start and hopefully more change is announced at seasons end.
Can someone tell me why a Tweed Heads Q-cup coach is a good start and any better to whom we have had? Seems like a left field and down the pecking order appointment to me.
Not just you @Coffs dragon others have mentioned this.
Just curious to what he has done to steer us as an assistant in any direction.
Tweed Heads have not gone that great in recent times

HenryTatana

Juniors
Can someone tell me why a Tweed Heads Q-cup coach is a good start and any better to whom we have had? Seems like a left field and down the pecking order appointment to me.
Answer: No threat to Hook

lombard

Juniors
I think he is the Qld under 19 or 20 (whichever age it is) coach. Maybe they view him as a good young development coach. Imagine being Sloan or Sullivan having to talk and listen to Hook, Gentle and before that Elliot. It would be like listening to grandpa stories all day.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would say it’s his reputation having also been head coach of the Titans U/20’s and being selected to coach QLD Origin representative U/20’s team.
Perhaps he comes highly recommended and has many years experience coaching youth.
It’s certainly a turn around from the club employing ex players with minimal experience outside the sheltered workshop.

Mjab

Juniors
I think he is the Qld under 19 or 20 (whichever age it is) coach. Maybe they view him as a good young development coach. Imagine being Sloan or Sullivan having to talk and listen to Hook, Gentle and before that Elliot. It would be like listening to grandpa stories all day.
I think they spend a lot of time working on getting a scrum win against the feed 😬

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey, lombard, what's wrong with listening to gandpa stories all day. They can be very educational and interesting and.........boring ....zzzzzz? Ha!

I understand what you are saying and Woolf appears to have a good track record from reports with him being a good development coach which I think our young ones need. Although, I know that Sloan for instance is getting a lot of mentoring from older men. Whether or not Woolf has that ability as well will be interesting to see.

Mjab

Juniors
Maybe there could be some pressure applied if we lose all remaining games , but even then I suspect Hook will be our coach next year

the real issue is the BOD and CEO all thinking this is OK and no obvious pathway out of this shitshow
its so depressing that this is so hard to change
we need a dynamic BOD with insight and proper business and sport management skills not the shit we have currently

I actually don’t think Msguire is the answer
players don’t seem to want to play for him and end up hating him
the tigers and us are very similar in a way and he failed there

Flanno did bring a crap club up to win a premiership?
players like him want to play for him

the same can’t be said for Hook

otherwise who else will we get ?
I really don’t know the answer

Ryles ?

we have missed the good young ones Payton, Fitz and Ciraldo Wolfe

i hear Brian Smith is free 😂

why don’t they give Flanno 1-2 years and at least see

i already know what he will be getting with Hook 23

Mjab

Juniors
From what I understand:

Flanno has been part of the club doing various things for a few years now so he also must have a reasonable understanding of what’s happening in the back ground
tell him he has a 2 year deal from next year and see if he can turn it around

it’s got to be better than Hook
There has been no improvement in anyway whatsoever
I actually don’t want Hunt resigned as well unless he plays hooker , which he will not do

we will have had 5-6 years of Hunt also going no where as a club so he’s not the answer either

it’s easy to be leading the Dally M leader if your saints best player but he’s no where even close to the best player or even the best half and he’s 32. Time to leave after 23

1-2 years ago most people would have wanted Hunt gone
1 reasonable season out of 5 , with no change outcome to the club , no thanks from me

RedVee_8

Juniors
The cap being a mess is what I don’t get. Wasn’t it a mess last year and we fixed it by losing McInnes and Norman and replacing them with cheaper options?
Plus the general ‘bargain bin’ purchases made during that year and for this year?

I really can’t see where the money is.

That’s one of the flaws of the salary cap, every team has to spend up to the limit regardless of whether they have players that are worth that coin. (My 2c)

Mjab

Juniors
The cap being a mess is what I don’t get. Wasn’t it a mess last year and we fixed it by losing McInnes and Norman and replacing them with cheaper options?
Plus the general ‘bargain bin’ purchases made during that year and for this year?

I really can’t see where the money is.

That’s one of the flaws of the salary cap, every team has to spend up to the limit regardless of whether they have players that are worth that coin. (My 2c)
You should be able to spend under the cap if you choose to
it’s ridiculous

Latest posts