What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
The bloke has had record suspensions players screwing him over stench of the last 7 years to eradicate to deal with. What is it could he do. He may not be up there will Bellamy or Clint but with what he has had he has done ok. When asked yesterday pre game about why Norman was in centres he said he has no troops left.
Agreed totally Choc. What is he supposed to have done? Record suspensions, a badly aligned roster and then BBQ Gate. He needs some clear air and hopefully 2022 starts to provide that, but the reality is 2023 is more like the year we see some sustained improvement. The real roster clean out happens next year. Lots of guys off contract at the end of 2022.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
I agree with it now. Picking Norman who sabotages the team every week and also bringing plodders like Beale into the club proves that while he is here we won't be improving.
He hasn't been able to get the team up for a game since April and has no respect from the players, which was shown by BBQgate.
This season has been a trainwreck both on and off the field and he looks completely defeated in post match interviews. We play an ugly style of footy and defend about as well as a wet paper bag. Our discipline is the worst it's ever been with so many suspensions.
I think it's time we start looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

Smirrors

Juniors
A lot of Griffins picks have been stop gaps and arguably could have paid off it wasn't for stupid behavior, I think we would be entrenched in the top 8.

That said I don't feel like Griffin is the guy that leads a club truly forward. He is great for building a core/base and it will take another coach to pick up and run with it. He has his limitations but for this year and next he will be good for the club.

You don't want and cant attract a good coach during turmoil.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Saints want to be serious contenders, they need to get a proven coach who has won a comp and the only one available is Flannagan. I am sure he will not screw up again and will jump at the chance to be a head coach again.

Saints in for another long year I am afraid in 2022 under Griffin. I cannot see any changes happening in the coaching ranks unfortunately. Lets hope other teams struggle and Saints don't get a spoon. Seems to be the common expectations since 2011.

NRL has saved Griffin's bacon with their suspensions handed out to all Saints players as that will be a fair excuse for him to fall back on like Mary used to do. find an excuse for poor performances and the board are sweet with it. .

Dragon David

First Grade
If Saints want to be serious contenders, they need to get a proven coach who has won a comp and the only one available is Flannagan. I am sure he will not screw up again and will jump at the chance to be a head coach again.

Saints in for another long year I am afraid in 2022 under Griffin. I cannot see any changes happening in the coaching ranks unfortunately. Lets hope other teams struggle and Saints don't get a spoon. Seems to be the common expectations since 2011.

NRL has saved Griffin's bacon with their suspensions handed out to all Saints players as that will be a fair excuse for him to fall back on like Mary used to do. find an excuse for poor performances and the board are sweet with it. .
I'd like to see how Griffin goes with his "signings" for next year. But I don't like how we start off well and things look on the up, the contract for the coach is renewed and then the team goes to jelly and we go downhill in the second half of the comp like so many years before. Before Hook's contract is decided, it has to be sometime in the second half of the comp not during the first half. If his coaching abilities in the second half are maintained with good wins and we don't show any signs of struggling then renew him for a couple of more seasons. I don't know about the assistants though?

Flanagan to me is a proven coach. If he was the head coach of the Dragons, I'm sure we would be more comfortable with him. Him being our assistant under Mary just could not work, but him being head coach would have imo.

Gareth67

First Grade
Run the coach out of town ? Now it’s attack Griffin and the man has not even had 1 season to repair the wreck of a team he was given .

How pitiful .

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench
The biggest problem i have is the attacking and defensive coaching...none of these has really improved much irrespective of the cattle..we are leaking points and not scoring enough...maybe Gentle and Elliott are a little ancient in their methods... the game has moved on really quickly and it seems young guns like Ciraldo, Fitzgibbon, Ryles and up to last year Barrett seem to have the answers to coaching successful attacks and defenses....this is where our problem lies...I like Hook as a head coach...i think he may have selected the wrong support staff for fear of being back doored down the track - he trusts Elliott and Gentle and may have sacrificed in these areas....its showing in our performance this year..

Crush

Coach
So here we are again, with posters wanting to sack Griffin.

Ok, you sack Griffin supporters, who do you replace him with, especially with a long term goal? Oh and please no Wayne Bennett fantasies.
I wouldn’t be sacking Griffin.
He’s only signed until end of 2022. If he doesn’t get us into the top 8 next year then don’t extend him, no need to sack him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
So here we are again, with posters wanting to sack Griffin.

Ok, you sack Griffin supporters, who do you replace him with, especially with a long term goal? Oh and please no Wayne Bennett fantasies.
To be fair, that counter argument sounds very familiar to one used during the McGregor years.

But Griffin inherited all that, so I'm of the view that he still needs time. This year ain't enough for any judgment. Plus Griffin never got the job in the same dodgy manner that McGregor got his.

And let's never forget about the fish that stinks from the head down. A coach has to deal with all that as well.

So... still benefit of the doubt for Griffin... but bloody hell, it's not easy.

redv13

Bench
Very simple really. 5 games to go and we’re still in with a chance of making the semis. Factor in multiple questionable suspensions from on field play, the bbq fiasco and they are still in it up to their eyeballs. Frustrating yes but there is no way in hell people should be calling for Hooks head. That is poor form in my opinion. Total pass for 2021.

TruSaint

Referee
To be fair, that counter argument sounds very familiar to one used during the McGregor years.

But Griffin inherited all that, so I'm of the view that he still needs time. This year ain't enough for any judgment. Plus Griffin never got the job in the same dodgy manner that McGregor got his.

And let's never forget about the fish that stinks from the head down. A coach has to deal with all that as well.

So... still benefit of the doubt for Griffin... but bloody hell, it's not easy.

This.

My view is there is no chance he gets the bullet this year irrespective of whether we win another game.

What will piss me off, is if we witness a contract extension mid 2022. I dont care if we are in the 8, in the top 4 or not. Any contract extension ( or thought of same ), should be at the end of 2022.

Without sounding disrespectful, its not as if Griffin is sought after. Let him earn his contract and let the Club learn from their previous screwups.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A very good point was raised on JA about Hook tenure: credit to @saintly1996
"So if Hooks manager came to the club and asked for a contract extension, what would you say to him, given his contract runs out at the end of next year and 1 November is approaching and players become available for 2023."

I will take it a little further:
What do you say to a player we are wanting to sign for 2023, about who will be our coach from 2023 onwards? eg; you approach Brandon Smith, he asks who the coach is, what do you say to him? like 'not sure', 'don't know', 'we're working on it' etc. What do you think Smith would say?

SEAT 1A

Bench
Sack Griffin, no way.

He's blooded and re-signed the youngsters, signed players from other clubs with them chipping in, new signings for what's required to improved the team next year and stopped paying huge overs and has been capable to have the team some what competitive with half a team.

The players involved in the BBQ has shot themselves in the foot in regard to the rest of the year and some have not been re-signed. A good start from the coach in showing what's expectable and what's not.

Latest posts