What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Trifili13

Juniors
Re Sloan

He was selected early on and dropped for perceived weakness's not contesting / attacking the high ball, not tackling someone when confronted with a 2 on 1, not providing guidance to the defensive line.

If these were highlighted and he was told to work on them in reggies and then he finally gets picked in 1sts again and he then refuses to contest / attack a high ball, doesn't tackle a player when he could have and he just meanders around behind the defensive line I am f**ked if I can fathom out how that is the coach's fault.

Sloan either wants to do what is necessary to be a 1st grade full back or he will do nothing thinking he has a free passage and will ultimately piss on his own leg. He wouldn't be the 1st nor would he be be the last exciting junior to not make the transition to the NRL.

In fact how many local juniors have actually made a truly successful transition over the last 15 years compared to all those we thought would make it? And while we are on that point how many juniors did "Good Old Wayne" actually transition into the top grade?

Feagai and Amone whilst not spectacular have done enough in the system to warrant persevering with and have been duly rewarded.

Ramsay has done exceedingly well and was unfortunately injured but somehow so many in this place think that Sloan should be pandered to and when he is not they complain and all the while are happy to create another Aitken / Dufty scenario namely constant selection regardless of constant failures.
Agree with a lot that you say OT. Look at the Chooks, they gave young Flanno 1 year, didn't work out so got rid of him. While Sloan might still work out, it's too cut throat at the top level to give players multiple opportunities.

As I am sure you have said in the past OT, you should show that you are ready in the ressies and then move to the top grade, not learn how to catch a bomb and tackle in first grade. Now I know we have our fair share of plodders and Sloan was not the sole reason we lost on the weekend, but the bomb he dropped was crucial. And I know some will say that Teddy also drops them.

Maybe we are over-hyping our juniors and think that they are better than they really are and clutching at anything given our poor record over the last decade. Other teams juniors seem to hit the ground running while ours need time to bulk up or acclimatise to first grade.

True_Believer

Juniors
Maybe we are over-hyping our juniors and think that they are better than they really are and clutching at anything given our poor record over the last decade. Other teams juniors seem to hit the ground running while ours need time to bulk up or acclimatise to first grade.
I must sound like a broken record, but unless we get the lower grade pathways and structures right, this will continually be the case. This then has a flow on effect that impacts first grade.

IMO, we need to focus on the lower grades first (which has been what Ryan Webb has indicated). Once that's humming, we have set ourselves up for continued success as a club going forward.

True_Believer

Juniors
And while we are on that point how many juniors did "Good Old Wayne" actually transition into the top grade?
2009 - Trent Merrin*
2010 - Cameron King*
2010 - Jake Marketo*
2010 - Kyle Stanley*
2011 - Jack Bosden
2011 - Jack De Belin*
2011 - Alex McKinnon*
2011 - Mitch Rein*

These all made their debut under Wayne.

A few quality names in there!!! Am not sure if Bosden was a junior or not (and just to clarify, "junior" in this case refers to playing in the Dragons lower grades)

Old Timer

Coach
2009 - Trent Merrin*
2010 - Cameron King*
2010 - Jake Marketo*
2010 - Kyle Stanley*
2011 - Jack Bosden
2011 - Jack De Belin*
2011 - Alex McKinnon*
2011 - Mitch Rein*

These all made their debut under Wayne.

A few quality names in there!!! Am not sure if Bosden was a junior or not (and just to clarify, "junior" in this case refers to playing in the Dragons lower grades)
And out of all that who actually made it?
Sure injuries didn't help some but the ratio of success to those that are classified as gun juniors is very small indeed.

justadragon

Bench
So Griffin has been told of his short-comings, in no uncertain terms, which this article states is getting rid of Gentle and asking McCullough to retire.

Am I missing something, that these are his short-comings????
100%, I dont quite follow the short-comings theory, nevertheless having Trent Barrett seems strange especially when we havent heard from either of the new AC's, and now that it has been thrown out on the public forum it seems quite bazaar. I'm quite interested to see how this all unfolds.

justadragon

Bench
Agree with a lot that you say OT. Look at the Chooks, they gave young Flanno 1 year, didn't work out so got rid of him. While Sloan might still work out, it's too cut throat at the top level to give players multiple opportunities.

As I am sure you have said in the past OT, you should show that you are ready in the ressies and then move to the top grade, not learn how to catch a bomb and tackle in first grade. Now I know we have our fair share of plodders and Sloan was not the sole reason we lost on the weekend, but the bomb he dropped was crucial. And I know some will say that Teddy also drops them.

Totally agree, take the example of Drew Hutchinson, look at the way he came into a struggling dragons side and his performances, now look at the way he performs at the roosters, vastly different.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sloan seems to be getting criticized for stuff Dufty did but the difference is Duft played a heap of games before givin the flick. This kid has had a handful only and the 1st 4 or so games he scored a try in each one. Off season came and he went backwards. Not sure what happened in the off season but Hook went off him big time and looks like he just threw him on to appease the fans and as soon as he made a blunder was quick to drop him.

Billy Burns can't tackle yet gets picked each week and has made many more errors that led to tries than poor Sloan.

Sounds like a real mess now reading that article. Surely Griffins days are numbered. Only thing I think that will save him is the $$ Saints will have to pay him. Saints seem to have become tight ar$es by the sound of things. Love taking fans money but not returning them with good intentions to appease them in return and continue to dish out rubbish.

dannyt

Coach
Vastly different side and coach. But at full strength he plays KOE cup
True, but he has shown to be a capable first grader in his own right who was completely mis-managed by McGregor.

Who can ever forget the game where McGregor made a last minute change, and put JDB on as the starting half-back. I can't remember who was supposed to be the regular half (could've been Hunt), but the player named at halfback was put on the bench, and came on after about 70 minutes when the game was gone.

I think that game was against the cows, but the player named at half was Hutchinson. Not surprisingly, he left soon after.

getsmarty

Immortal
True, but he has shown to be a capable first grader in his own right who was completely mis-managed by McGregor.

Who can ever forget the game where McGregor made a last minute change, and put JDB on as the starting half-back. I can't remember who was supposed to be the regular half (could've been Hunt), but the player named at halfback was put on the bench, and came on after about 70 minutes when the game was gone.

I think that game was against the cows, but the player named at half was Hutchinson. Not surprisingly, he left soon after.

I Think that was against the broncos...Hutchinson came on at the end, after the game was over...typical move by the Maestro.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors

It was 2015 Benji was the reg half Drew didn't leave till 2018

Old Timer

Coach
By the end of the regular season it will be even more evident that there are only 5 possibly 6 coaches that can win a premiership in the next few years

All the rest are nothing more than chaff and their teams provide little more than training runs for the best clubs.

Bellamy, Robinson, Cleary Fitzy, Demetriou, Payten are all showing their is a huge difference between them and the rest (for mine you can throw Sheens, Flanno, Madge into the rest mix as well) so unless you get one of the big 6 then IMO you will only suffer a similar fate to that which we now experience.

The sad reality is there is no chance and absolutely no reason why any of the above would even contemplate chancing their hand at our club.

So again IMO our attention should be to to look at the support coaches any of the big 6 have and run the ruler of them as our next coach and that being the case and again only IMO Ryles is the stand out and should be our immediate target.

For all of our whinging about Hook who the f**k wants to be an Eels supporter and have the annual agony of looking good and then fading out because they just can't compete at the pointy end of the season.

So in the end if we have to keep Hook for 1 more year to enable us to get Ryles then I'll begrudgingly accept that.

Crush

Coach
Sack him now, today.
Put an interim coach in until we can find a Ryles like permanent coach.
Hook has been one of our worst ever.
Brought the club even further into oblivion.
Its clear the players don’t respect him; BBQ anyone? Worst part is, he’s relatively happy with our football, one week ago said we’ve been playing “great football”
FMD

Qdf

Juniors
Sack him now, today.
Its clear the players don’t respect him; BBQ anyone? Worst part is, he’s relatively happy with our football, one week ago said we’ve been playing “great football”
FMD
Hook is so out of touch.
He has obviously lost the dressing room.
They have sacked the assistant coaches as a smoke screen.
This disgraceful football department and board haven't got a clue.
"TIME FOR CHANGE"

Old Timer

Coach
Sack him now, today.
FMD
TBH there isn't a coach in the comp that is going to say anything different to what Hook says.

There is no way they will create any negativity around themselves by suggesting their team is playing badly due to the coaching staff.

Some coaches get away withe rhetoric especially if they are media darlings however the StGI faithful are not known for their kindness or generosity when critiquing their coach or their roster let alone their BOD.