What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Mjab

Juniors
In reality this is Hooks last NRL job so he will fight to save himself
If we badly lose last matches there may be some push to sack him but I suggest he will remain on next year and HOPEFULY not be extended

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Ok, so i will conment on this:

Yes, i WAS a Hook supporter, but that has since waned to almost zero. Realistically, he is here to sray for at least the rest of this season if not for the opening rounds of next year.
As someone already said, Hook is in survival mode, defaulting to what is 'safe', rather than 'experimenting'. Selecting Woods and Moga are prime examples of safe, rather than selecting say Sloan on the wing or JHunt as the bench prop on a consistant basis. Woods and Moga appear to he in Hooks plan for next year it appears.
In an earlier interview when first appointed, he was asked about his sackings from previous HC roles. His response was he'd learnt alot from his time away, learnt from his mistakes etc. It appears not.
I'm all for getting in a new coach, it's just which one is going to make the necessary hard calls that will upset those on the free train atm. I'm not sure a 'freshy' could handle that given the squad he'd inherit.
I think we all have to accept there are some darker times ahead and it will be quite some time before we are a power house again.

Mjab

Juniors
I too was a hook supporter initially, but mainly just anyone to get rid of mary

I now realise he is a joke ,

I wouldnt even care if we still come 11th but play attractive footy and bring on younger players as an investment in the future

Should have signed Payton in hindsight

FFS we have a premiership winning coach , the players like and would more likely play for in Flanagan

I know some dont agree because of peptide scandal , but he brought a crap club and team up to win a premiership , something few can do and it wasnt because of those peptides, he can actually coach and has actually won something

SBD82

Coach
I don’t think anyone can be blamed for thinking that Hook could be a good coach for us. I definitely drank the cool aid with regard to his signing. All the talk of developing juniors seemed so promising.

What I can’t fathom is that people continue to defend him. I could handle a team that finished last but showed some development. I could handle watching a team that was playing some creative footy and losing. I could handle watching a team that had good defensive patterns that the players were adjusting to, meaning they missed their assignment sometimes.

What I can’t handle is the fact that the team is not improving. They have no character. They are not organised. They are not creative. They do not have commitment in defence. They don’t play with energy. They don’t even seem to enjoy playing footy. There are literally no positives to take out of this season.

Moving players out of position (for the love of god can we all please stop with the Lomax to lock idea?) or signing new players won’t help, its papering over cracks. Piss him off now, before we have another directionless year with an aging squad thats another year older.

And he can take our useless f**king board with him.

justadragon

Bench
Ok, so i will conment on this:

Yes, i WAS a Hook supporter, but that has since waned to almost zero. Realistically, he is here to sray for at least the rest of this season if not for the opening rounds of next year.
As someone already said, Hook is in survival mode, defaulting to what is 'safe', rather than 'experimenting'. Selecting Woods and Moga are prime examples of safe, rather than selecting say Sloan on the wing or JHunt as the bench prop on a consistant basis. Woods and Moga appear to he in Hooks plan for next year it appears.
In an earlier interview when first appointed, he was asked about his sackings from previous HC roles. His response was he'd learnt alot from his time away, learnt from his mistakes etc. It appears not.
I'm all for getting in a new coach, it's just which one is going to make the necessary hard calls that will upset those on the free train atm. I'm not sure a 'freshy' could handle that given the squad he'd inherit.
I think we all have to accept there are some darker times ahead and it will be quite some time before we are a power house again.
I think we have to accept the stark reality that we will never be a powerhouse club again, there are just so many things that need fixing, it cant be done. Until you have the capacity to get the board out of there, this nonsense will go on for year after year.

Smacka

Juniors
Like I intimated elsewhere , Hook is the Board's Fall Guy. They have no intention on shifting him until Young Jnr has the Yellow Brick Road laid out before him.
Maybe he's putting Woods , Moga , McCulloch on display - window shopping - so that other Club's can see their talent (ha ha) & will take them off our hands.
The shift of Lomax to lock would be the making of him. He is a pedestrian centre.

Qdf

Juniors
Like I intimated elsewhere , Hook is the Board's Fall Guy. They have no intention on shifting him until Young Jnr has the Yellow Brick Road laid out before him.
Maybe he's putting Woods , Moga , McCulloch on display - window shopping - so that other Club's can see their talent (ha ha) & will take them off our hands.
The shift of Lomax to lock would be the making of him. He is a pedestrian centre.
Lomax has shown he is very
SLOW. Definitely not a Mark Gaznier.

possm

Coach
we are a hot a mess, Hook has got to go.

Mick Potter or Flanno would be an improvment.

Board remains our biggest problem though.
Yes, I agree! I would also say that Loomax has definitely gotten worse under Griffin.

We need halves that can manage a game and make the right decisions during clutch situations. The game manager needs to direct play while at the same time, his teammates need to respect and comply with his decisions.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Whatever happens over the next 3 week won't matter. Hook will be the coach next year.

The BOD know he's rubbish but its all part of the chairman's plan to bring in his son in 24.

I know we had to wait 31 years for a premiership in 2010 but from 1979, we still managed to play in the 5 x grand finals. We were competitive and at least vying for titles.

I can't see us playing in a GF for a very very long time.

Illusion

Bench
Here is something interesting , my son is a sparky and this afternoon went to Mybe home to do some work ...... He asked him how he thought the team was going and his response was they are way off the pace ..... He then asked him about Hook and what he thought ( my son thoughts to Mybe ) and they weren't good ..... Mybe replied saying he was a good bloke ( would not expect him to say anything bad ) but did say they will get rid of him ..... When who knows he left it at that ..... thought that was interesting , as it's not coming from the press or news papers, just two guys having a chat ..... Also my son said he was a good bloke down to earth guy ......

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When Mary was sacked we all jumped for joy thinking things cannot get worse. Well it did so what scares me is if the coaches are getting worse then god knows who will be next after Hook. The Board have selected 3 duds since Wayne. For some reason having a coach that has won a comp is not part of their requirements just someone who is a top bloke. Maybe we should be careful what we wish for with the current duds in charge.

I was looking forward to Hook coming in as I thought he would come out and prove his critics wrong. All he has done is confirm his critics are 100% correct. Apart from Kenty (his No.1 Fan) as to him Saints were are doing well because everyone had tipped them to come last.

Dragon David

First Grade
Here is something interesting , my son is a sparky and this afternoon went to Mybe home to do some work ...... He asked him how he thought the team was going and his response was they are way off the pace ..... He then asked him about Hook and what he thought ( my son thoughts to Mybe ) and they weren't good ..... Mybe replied saying he was a good bloke ( would not expect him to say anything bad ) but did say they will get rid of him ..... When who knows he left it at that ..... thought that was interesting , as it's not coming from the press or news papers, just two guys having a chat ..... Also my son said he was a good bloke down to earth guy ......
Your son is a bright spark Illusion. Thanks for posting. It was good that your son was able to get those answers from Mbye. Better than getting hearsay stuff from the press.

If Mbye thinks that Hook will be gone then at least we can look forward to that happening one day.

Mjab

Juniors
Your son is a bright spark Illusion. Thanks for posting. It was good that your son was able to get those answers from Mbye. Better than getting hearsay stuff from the press.

If Mbye thinks that Hook will be gone then at least we can look forward to that happening one day.
If not next year at least the year after Hook should be gone
The problem is who will replace him

I hope they dont resign Hunt and let him go to market
He is not the future of the club
We have won nothing and gone nowhere during his tenure , nothing will change if we resign him

We need a coach who will bring good players to the club and know how to make the most and develop what we have

Dragon David

First Grade
If not next year at least the year after Hook should be gone
The problem is who will replace him

I hope they dont resign Hunt and let him go to market
He is not the future of the club
We have won nothing and gone nowhere during his tenure , nothing will change if we resign him

We need a coach who will bring good players to the club and know how to make the most and develop what we have
Flanagan is better than Hook
I think that irrespective of how Hook goes in 2023 with or without Hunt, he will not be the coach in 2024.

Our biggest problem that has been the case for too long is who can they go after that is like Bennett and if that person is willing to come to the club and get the wins quickly. We have got to get the squad in order just like Brown did before Bennett came. Under Brown the players that we had were mostly at that level of being pretty good and then Bennett was able to add a couple more players and tweaked a few things to get a better squad.

The Bulldogs have done this and they have now got the coach they want to get the wins.

Possibly the man to do it is Flanagan as at the moment, there just aren't too many experienced guys around. There are several assistants like Dean Young, Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, that could be OK, but I think we need to look at Flanagan for sure.

Once Hook has gone and if Hunt is still with us, the new coach can shift him to hooker maybe. Somehow though, I don't think that Hunt will be effective as a hooker at that time as he will be older and slower and will need to be doing a lot of defending.

getsmarty

Immortal

Thanks for sharing...hence all the rumours re Young Jnr.

getsmarty

Immortal

twinkletoes

Juniors
We have a club full of old fossils....the management are fossils, the head coach is a fossil, the assistant coaches were fossils, half the roster are fossils. Until that changes in part we will not progress at all...this is a young mans game and needs young men coaching and mentoring in order to relate to the players. The exceptions are Bellamy & Bennett..but they are legends in the game. Still they have young , energetic support staff assisting..

denis preston

First Grade
Flanagan is the only available hope and it would be interesting who he would bring in as AC's ( Morris maybe ? ) Is the fact that our new AC's haven't been announced as yet because hook hasn't made up his mind or waiting for the end of the season OR the club hasn't rubber stamped his appointments because he wont be there next year ?
How's that for a total unsubstantiated rumour based on hope !!