What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Coffs dragon

Bench
Personally, I believe we are in for a very tough & lean year ahead. I really believe Hook is Dead Man walking & hence, no pressure as we are expected to finish at the rear.

Any sign of improvement & exceed expectations, can be purely attributed to the 2 new assistant coaches in Ryan Carr & Ben Woolf. It very much sounds like they are driving the bus in a different direction.
Any surprising & forthcoming improvement could see one of these blokes take the reigns rather than an old boy!

Dragon David

First Grade
Personally, I believe we are in for a very tough & lean year ahead. I really believe Hook is Dead Man walking & hence, no pressure as we are expected to finish at the rear.

Any sign of improvement & exceed expectations, can be purely attributed to the 2 new assistant coaches in Ryan Carr & Ben Woolf. It very much sounds like they are driving the bus in a different direction.
Any surprising & forthcoming improvement could see one of these blokes take the reigns rather than an old boy!
That could happen Coffs. We have a trial game against St Helens on 11th February and the coach of that club is Ben Woolf's brother Kristian. What are our chances of getting Kristian to coach the Dragons in 2024 with his brother Ben assisting?

dungay dragon

Juniors
That could happen Coffs. We have a trial game against St Helens on 11th February and the coach of that club is Ben Woolf's brother Kristian. What are our chances of getting Kristian to coach the Dragons in 2024 with his brother Ben assisting?
DD thought Kristian was signed on as Deputy at the Dolphins for 23 and beyond ??
To your point have always rated him , and he and his brother would do a cracking job with an influx of troops .......

Coffs dragon

Bench
Hey DD…..zero chance as a Kristian is the assistant coach to Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins NRL for 2023-24. He will then take over as head coach as per contract agreed last year.

Dragon David

First Grade
DD thought Kristian was signed on as Deputy at the Dolphins for 23 and beyond ??
To your point have always rated him , and he and his brother would do a cracking job with an influx of troops .......
Yes you are right of course but just wishful thinking. As usual, our group of numbskulls of people running the club should have lined Kristian up before any consideration of extending Hook for 2023.

Dragon David

First Grade
Hey DD…..zero chance as a Kristian is the assistant coach to Wayne Bennett at the Dolphins NRL for 2023-24. He will then take over as head coach as per contract agreed last year.
Thanks Coffs. That ship had sailed well and truly from my memory bank unfortunately. It could then mean that Kristian's brother, Ben, could end up at the Dolphins as well in 2024 as he is only signed for this year with us.

justadragon

Bench
I guess he could have said that "the year will be a tough one and there will be times that we will struggle and that while we do have several spots to fill to be roster number compliant, the good ones have already been snapped up because those responsible for recruiting have only just taken over from our old friend Shane Flanagan who we all know did bugger all. So we are still scratching our heads deciding who the hell will be the best fit for us out of the bunch of not so good unwanted players from other clubs".

His answer about his length of time coaching the Dragons this year was that it would be 24 weeks instead of 8 weeks. Maybe the Board has already told him this?

Anyway, whatever will be, will be.
very well said Dave, I would have gladly accepted your explanation for this year rather than Hooks, at least its an honest appraisal

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
To be honest like previous seasons it always concerns me before a whistle is blown when I hear...theres real comeradrie amongst the players..theres fire in their bellies.....its been a great off season.....weve got someting to build off....we will make the play offs...ive seen real growth etc etc......"wished I could sleep as well as Hook"

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I guess he could have said that "the year will be a tough one and there will be times that we will struggle and that while we do have several spots to fill to be roster number compliant, the good ones have already been snapped up because those responsible for recruiting have only just taken over from our old friend Shane Flanagan who we all know did bugger all. So we are still scratching our heads deciding who the hell will be the best fit for us out of the bunch of not so good unwanted players from other clubs".

His answer about his length of time coaching the Dragons this year was that it would be 24 weeks instead of 8 weeks. Maybe the Board has already told him this?

Anyway, whatever will be, will be.
24 weeks? What? Surely he should add the extra games for the finals?

thebigredv

First Grade
To be honest like previous seasons it always concerns me before a whistle is blown when I hear...theres real comeradrie amongst the players..theres fire in their bellies.....its been a great off season.....weve got someting to build off....we will make the play offs...ive seen real growth etc etc......"wished I could sleep as well as Hook"

It's the same talk we get every year BSE. Then the season starts and all the weaknesses come to the fore before long. The preparation wasn't done where it was needed most - in the market.

Our strongest possible team is mediocre and then injuries will hit like with any team. Our young ones are still too green. Our forward pack can't string two decent performances together.

If we play finals it will be a miracle of miracles. It will revolve a lot around Sullivan and Sloan. We know what we will get from Hunt.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Thanks Coffs. That ship had sailed well and truly from my memory bank unfortunately. It could then mean that Kristian's brother, Ben, could end up at the Dolphins as well in 2024 as he is only signed for this year with us.
Also...I don't often agree with Possm but he may well be on the money about a backroom deal already being in place to bring back Dean Young for 2024. The best thing about that deal, potentially, is that we open our flush coffers and offer a massive long-term (5+ years) deal to Jeremiah Nanai and Young influences him to accept.
Admittedly, lots of ifs and buts about that deal.

denis preston

First Grade
Also...I don't often agree with Possm but he may well be on the money about a backroom deal already being in place to bring back Dean Young for 2024. The best thing about that deal, potentially, is that we open our flush coffers and offer a massive long-term (5+ years) deal to Jeremiah Nanai and Young influences him to accept.
Admittedly, lots of ifs and buts about that deal.
Yes Nanai for 5 and Young for 2 with a third our call if we have to take him back.

Dragon David

First Grade
If we dont see something different in the CS, i'll be really pissed and it will be proven that our AC's were not the issue.
I think pre-season games including the Charity Shield should be about giving all the guys a run, have any set routines played out to see how effective they are, get the guys to hone their defensive and attacking skills and generally try to play attractive footy. A win would be good but that is not the be all and end all. We beat Souths last year in the Shield 16-10 and also gave them a walloping in June 32-12 in which we did play good solid footy but still didn't make the top 8.

Hook needs to let the guys play good open footy and not worry about the scoreboard and if it has a bearing on the result in our favour then just continue to do so in the comp.

We play the Titans in Round 2 and it is not a gimme.

Latest posts