What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I don’t think a new coach will fix any of the systemic issues within the club or lead to any real success, but it will certainly put players on notice.

The fact that we have players like Zac Lomax on marquee money who contribute very little (he can’t even kick goals anymore) and are picked every week regardless, is a huge issue with our club!

A new coach won’t save our season but it may lessen our weekly embarrassment somewhat.

Victoire

Juniors

Great, and depressing read here.
imo The stats in this are both deceiving, and damning. I think in periods of games we are actually reasonably quick - in fact in the Broncos game in particular we were too fast for them almost for an entire half. However, we absolutely fall off a cliff during the rest of the game, and for those periods we're even slowwwwwer than the stats suggest.
The safety first style of Griffins sucks

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade

imo The stats in this are both deceiving, and damning. I think in for periods of games we are actually reasonably quick - in fact in the Broncos game in particular we were too fast for them almost for an entire half. However, we absolutely fall off a cliff during the rest of the game, and for those periods we're even slowwwwwer than the stats suggest.
Now that is an article to savour.

Stake Removed

First Grade
I don't support your club, but the board is a bigger problem then the coach.
They could do exactly what Sharks did 2 years ago, sack Griffin appoint new coach for 2024 whilst he finishes up elsewhere and gave caretaker look after them for rest of season.
But why I see from the fans and hear in media, it's the board, I don't think it is going to matter who takes the role as coach, the board needs to be fixed.
Look at Tigers same issue the board, there coaching decisions from last year going forward make no sense.
Get the front office fixed first, then you will go forward.

Old Timer

Coach
The 3 JV’s were all destined to be basket cases.

Only Manly had the good sense to end it.

Makimg 1 culture out of 2 existing cultures is unachievable unless 1 is totally subjugated or both are extinguished and a completely new entity is created.

Our club is now trying to kill off Kogarah in lieu of Wollongong and that will never work regardless of who coaches the shit show we have become.

The fly blown and dag riddled entity that is left of the Steelers ensures that we are outcast from the herd with our only friend to hang out with being the other failed would be suoerclub the Tigpies.

Dragon David

First Grade
The 3 JV’s were all destined to be basket cases.

Only Manly had the good sense to end it.

Makimg 1 culture out of 2 existing cultures is unachievable unless 1 is totally subjugated or both are extinguished and a completely new entity is created.

Our club is now trying to kill off Kogarah in lieu of Wollongong and that will never work regardless of who coaches the shit show we have become.

The fly blown and dag riddled entity that is left of the Steelers ensures that we are outcast from the herd with our only friend to hang out with being the other failed would be suoerclub the Tigpies.
I totally agree O/T. I have posted something in the Rumours thread on this before reading this post of yours.

jodragon40

Juniors
2 members of the board the CEO and the RL Manager who have sales backgrounds need to go. You know that Doust is still pulling the strings behind the scenes in the board. The new board member Creagh has not said boo. We need a clean out just to enhance our ability to rebuild and attract the decent players who we need, especially in the engine room. Our club is divided from the top down. Until we address that we will never have a competitive top 8 team

RedVee_8

Juniors
Souffs have become a bigger brand than us, they embrace their history, they talk up their history, their marketing is way better, i cant believe how many cars/trucks i see with their bunny logo on the back windscreen, best thing that happened to them was Russell Crowe taking over, worse thing that happened to us was Russell didnt follow in his fathers/family footsteps of supporting the Dragons..
And if Russell supported Saints the board would have sent him and his millions on his way.

Yow

Juniors
2 members of the board the CEO and the RL Manager who have sales backgrounds need to go. You know that Doust is still pulling the strings behind the scenes in the board. The new board member Creagh has not said boo. We need a clean out just to enhance our ability to rebuild and attract the decent players who we need, especially in the engine room. Our club is divided from the top down. Until we address that we will never have a competitive top 8 team
Thats not Creagh job to talk to the media that job is for the chairman , ceo and media man . Directors are there to make decisions on the club , then it gets voted by the board . As a board member you are must abide by that vote whether you agree with or not.

brissiedragon

Juniors

imo The stats in this are both deceiving, and damning. I think in periods of games we are actually reasonably quick - in fact in the Broncos game in particular we were too fast for them almost for an entire half. However, we absolutely fall off a cliff during the rest of the game, and for those periods we're even slowwwwwer than the stats suggest.
Great read and explains why our attack is abysmal.
The Dragons have the fewest passes, by a distance.
They have the lowest number of runs, by a distance.
They have the lowest number of ball touches, by a distance.
They have the lowest number of total sets, by a distance.

Any body who says that the players are to blame is delusional.
Additionally our defence is just as bad. Cronulla continually ran 10-20m gains per tackle at our defence and every play was at speed. Cronulla had slightly more runs than us (187/167) bur ran for nearly 500m more than us (1757m/1267m). The good teams including Cronulla have incredible line speed in defence. Our defence is static and allow teams easy metres. Its any wonder teams are putting 40 pts a game on us.

ALL of that is on the coaching team.

Reflector

Juniors
South’s have the one of the most committed and passionate following - I would even go to say more so than the St George Illawarra fan base.. but to be fair we diluted our brand in 1999… not really the same…Dragons 1977, 1979, 1985 we were the number one brand in the world..
TBF, in 'Never Say Die', Piggins mentions the talks about Souths merging with Cronulla and states that the only merger he'd have been happy with (from a Souths perspective) was like the Dragons situation e.g St George gained access to the Illawarra junior/ supporter base while keeping their badge, jersey, colours and attached history.

This discussion of the Dragons brand being 'diluted' has only come about since 2011. Likewise, Souths only became fashionable when Crowe/ Holmes A Court took over in 2007, modernised the branding and invested big $$$ to make Souths front-runners again. Before that, they were the Tigers without the merge: a disorganised rabble followed passionately by toothless ferals, with more high profile/ middle class supporters keeping a safe distance since the reinstatement bandwagon had run its course.

The Dragons, right now, are comparable with Easts before Politis took over. If a club like the Dragons doesn't have somebody amongst their long-time supporter-base with the capital, drive, competence and enthusiasm of Nick I'd be amazed...

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
TBF, in 'Never Say Die', Piggins mentions the talks about Souths merging with Cronulla and states that the only merger he'd have been happy with (from a Souths perspective) was like the Dragons situation e.g St George gained access to the Illawarra junior/ supporter base while keeping their badge, jersey, colours and attached history.

This discussion of the Dragons brand being 'diluted' has only come about since 2011. Likewise, Souths only became fashionable when Crowe/ Holmes A Court took over in 2007, modernised the branding and invested big $$$ to make Souths front-runners again. Before that, they were the Tigers without the merge: a disorganised rabble followed passionately by toothless ferals, with more high profile/ middle class supporters keeping a safe distance since the reinstatement bandwagon had run its course.

The Dragons, right now, are comparable with Easts before Politis took over. If a club like the Dragons doesn't have somebody amongst their long-time supporter-base with the capital, drive, competence and enthusiasm of Nick I'd be amazed...
They do in Paul Smith, but Doust went and f**ked that all up didn't he.. the selfish twat

Dragon David

First Grade
They do in Paul Smith, but Doust went and f**ked that all up didn't he.. the selfish twat
You are right Adolf. Paul Smith had the desire and vision to make the Dragons the best in league in Australia. Unfortunately, that selfish bastard, who has been as stubborn as a mule and has generally changed our destiny by ignoring Smith's higher bid, is still part of the Board and the sooner he goes, the better.

Oust Doust!

Last edited:

jodragon40

Juniors
Thats not Creagh job to talk to the media that job is for the chairman , ceo and media man . Directors are there to make decisions on the club , then it gets voted by the board . As a board member you are must abide by that vote whether you agree with or not.
Surely Creaghs job is to provide advice from a footballing perspective to those sales managers in charge or is he just a number?

TruSaint

Referee

Terrific post.

jodragon40

Juniors
I don't support your club, but the board is a bigger problem then the coach.
They could do exactly what Sharks did 2 years ago, sack Griffin appoint new coach for 2024 whilst he finishes up elsewhere and gave caretaker look after them for rest of season.
But why I see from the fans and hear in media, it's the board, I don't think it is going to matter who takes the role as coach, the board needs to be fixed.
Look at Tigers same issue the board, there coaching decisions from last year going forward make no sense.
Get the front office fixed first, then you will go forward.
100% spot on