What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Trifili13

Juniors
It appears that way at times.......There must be something in our blokes initiials that attracts their love affair with the head coach it was Boyd & Bennett, then McInness & McGregor now Hunt & Hook......any takers for the next double act...I'll wait
Shaun Wane and Sharon Woods, Michael Maguire and Moses Mbye, Maguire and Moga. We are doomed.

jodragon40

Juniors
I love hunt as a player but he is causing more divide in the sheds then anyone else
Mate Ben Hunt is just showing a quality that you do look in a Captain and that is loyalty. Yes Hunt is in the pro Griffin camp whilst Lomax and others are in the get rid of Griffin camp. If I were still coaching and my captain came out and said those things I would be grateful. However I would sit him down and say thank you but the writing is on the wall and I'm going to leave before I am unceremoniously dumped. Unfortunately as a coach of any team the ultimate measuring stick is how successful have you been no matter what sport. Personally before the board meets next week I would gather the players before the game against the Raiders and inform them of my intention to resign and thank them for their efforts and wish them luck in the future with their careers. Come Monday I'd be gone. It's a hard thing to do and I have unfortunately done this myself. It hurts, it hurts like hell but you know when it is time, and now is the time for Griffin to walk out with his dignity. Just my views

jodragon40

Juniors
Agree, in reality we need someone who can take over the same day Griffin is shown the door. The Board has a lot to deliberate at that meeting next week and have to show some intestinal fortitude. However I fear that their head spaces are clouded, I mean who's idea was it to even suggest Billy Slater? Believe me coaching SOO and International teams is nothing like coaching a 1st grade team. It is a moronic idea or suggestion. People also need to understand if they show Griffin the door they have to pay him out he is on a reported $475k this season that is money wasted and can they afford it? There is more than meets the eye or being reported. At least 2 board members need to resign but does anyone believe that they will? My prediction from 2021 was that we will not have a competitive top 8 team until 2025 and that will now rely upon the boards decision or lack of decision making next week

justadragon

Bench
Mate Ben Hunt is just showing a quality that you do look in a Captain and that is loyalty. Yes Hunt is in the pro Griffin camp whilst Lomax and others are in the get rid of Griffin camp. If I were still coaching and my captain came out and said those things I would be grateful. However I would sit him down and say thank you but the writing is on the wall and I'm going to leave before I am unceremoniously dumped. Unfortunately as a coach of any team the ultimate measuring stick is how successful have you been no matter what sport. Personally before the board meets next week I would gather the players before the game against the Raiders and inform them of my intention to resign and thank them for their efforts and wish them luck in the future with their careers. Come Monday I'd be gone. It's a hard thing to do and I have unfortunately done this myself. It hurts, it hurts like hell but you know when it is time, and now is the time for Griffin to walk out with his dignity. Just my views
I agree with you JD on the Griffin dignity exit, but I cant agree with you on what Hunt is doing now. Hunt would have known even before the season had started that Hooks future was going to be determined by performances on the field, cut and dry that was going to be it. But for him to publicly enforce his view that Hook should remain is not acceptable, and in some way holding a club and the rest of the team to ransom is totally unacceptable. Unfortunately RL is a results driven sport and unfortunately the coach always takes the brunt for poor performances and lack of success. I supported the choice of Hook over McPeanut thinking it was a good way forward from what we had. If Hook has got the salary cap back in order then good on him, but all this backstage stuff did not emanate to any form of success on the field and in most cases we went backwards on what we previously had, so what is the club supposed to do now ? I think the loyalty shown by Hunt should have been done in the sheds in a private meeting, because its done him no favors coming out in media and professing to all that Hook should stay regardless and that getting rid of him will set us back years, well guess what we have already gone back years.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
If the story about the enquiry to Slater is true then this board continues to show it has no f#cking idea. A guy with zero NRL coaching experience. You can’t make this stuff up.
My take on the story was that Slater's management was approached with the question "if the dragon's coaching position became vacant, would Billy consider looking at the position?" and the response was "thanks but no thanks". Apparently a similar question has been sent to a variety of managers of a number of potential coaches. Maybe the Board is just testing the waters to see who might take the job. I'm sure they don't want a long list of offers and rejections.

chiefy1

Juniors
I don't understand why you guys want griffin out. Saying you want to interview coaches after R2 is mind boggling, it destroyed your chances for 23. Players loose faith in a coach who's on the outer.
Griffin should be retained. He builds from within.

Dragon David

First Grade
In the end, no-one suitable will apply and we will continue to have Hook but he himself might give us away when this year comes to an end.

Our club is toxic to so many players and coaches and the Board has been extremely discourteous to Hook for doing what they are right now in my opinion. They stupidly renewed his tenure at the start of 2022 for another year and now they about face and tell him that they are looking for his replacement which undoubtedly will disrupt the year of the Dragons. They don't know Arthur from Martha and all of the useless members should piss off.

The Board has been the main problem for our demise. Get rid of them and break up this unworkable merger is what I say.

justadragon

Bench
All of this should have been done and dusted in the previous off season not a couple of rounds in the comp. I suppose they wanted to see how he would gel with the new AC's and we all know how that is going. Anyway it is what it is now and another so called building season for the Dragons

redv13

Bench
Whether he’s stubborn or not has nothing to with it imo! He’s contracted to do a a job. He doesnt have to do anything (similar to Hasler situation at Manly) Forget the high ground crap its up to Saints to act not Griffin!
Agree 100%. Griffin will stay and continue to do his job if Saints don’t step in. People on here are in fairy land if they think by losing to Canberra or whoever then he quits. Can’t see it happening. Saints need to grow a set and terminate him asap coz he ain’t walking on his own

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If they appoint the new coach and keep Griffin till the rest of the season that will really be a huge gamble as he may choose to select Moga, Hunt and Mbye in every week as they are his mates which we can clearly see. He may even start putting Billy Burns back in the starting 17. Also Sully can kiss first grade good bye this year unless Amone or Hunt get injured, it will be a disaster and another wasted year for Sullivan, Jayden Hunt, Max Feagai or other Dragons juniors to get some more games under their belts. I feel that is what this weeks selections against Canberra are about. Pick his mates until he gets the boot.

It will be an interesting reunion if Hasler gets the job with Moses Suli seeing Hasler gave him the boot from Manly. I think there was a fall out.

I think with the options of Flanno or Hasler, the Saints board cannot go wrong. These guys are proven premiership winners. Doust apparently does not want Flanno for past indiscretions, yet Flanno was appointed for a year or 2 to look after Saints recruitment? That sounds like rubbish reporting to me made up by some journo. Flanno was wanted before Hook and NRL blocked it. I am sure Doust was part of that decision as well.

I am looking more forward to the board meeting outcome than the game on the weekend.

Will the Saints send Hook out on a high or remind us fans how bad they play under him for the last time. The headline after the game will be interesting either way.

What is it with the Anzac day and hearing news of the coaches future as we may find out that week. That is a scary omen for me as we may end up hearing Hook has been re-signed like we heard about Price.

Latest posts