What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Life's Good

Coach
I'd sack him if it were in my control, hell, I never would have re-signed him in the first place. But it's not up to me and it's completely out of my control, so I let it go. But there's no way we should be blaming the coach for that performance. I mean these blokes are first grade played, some darling close to 1 million per season. They should know how to catch a football and when to pass and when not to. FFS you can't coach that,
The coach is responsible for preparation and instilling an attitude of no excuses. Our preparation has been very lax at times (complacency, use of the bench etc.) and there have been a lot of excuses(tries from kicks, 100mtr fields etc.). This has infected the players and is plain for all to see.

71saintsimon

Juniors
This imposter pretending to be a coach called Mary like I couldn't imagine any team Ever winning a premiership under a imposter pretending to coach called Mary

1st & 10

Juniors
This imposter pretending to be a coach called Mary like I couldn't imagine any team Ever winning a premiership under a imposter pretending to coach called Mary

He is no coach. He is a rep water boy at best . He has no right to be in a coaches box (except Cronulla)

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I dont like Mary at all but we beat Newcastle and we were only two points out of the four
And you don't think a clever coach would have been drumming this into the teams head all week leading up to the match. Truth is the team were initially not up for a critical game and this is what the coach should be responsible for if nothing else. He is short sighted and very limited in man management skills, a terrible combination for a coach. Secretly I still wish he would be successful because he is a great clubman and probably a good bloke too but I am now of the belief the time to show something is running out.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
And you don't think a clever coach would have been drumming this into the teams head all week leading up to the match. Truth is the team were initially not up for a critical game and this is what the coach should be responsible for if nothing else. He is short sighted and very limited in man management skills, a terrible combination for a coach. Secretly I still wish he would be successful because he is a great clubman and probably a good bloke too but I am now of the belief the time to show something is running out.

Exactly.
You just have to watch the first play from rhe kick off against Newcastle. A team on and focused would have stopped them cold and trap them before the 20m line, make a statement on the game...we're here to play and here to win. Instead we were almost driven back to the 30.
Thats mental not physical and McGregor should have had them fired up delux which appears they weren't. Once we got behind we started to panic, again mental state, along with some dubious ref calls, another mental state. Once we drew level we relaxed again thinking we would just run in another series of try's, just like the previous week against Manly, ahgain another mental state. Once we went behind again panic ensued again mental.
So, to me McGregor didn't prepare them mentally for that game, a game where we could have moved up to 6th and who knows challenging for a top 4 spot. It appears we got she'll be right mate its only Brownie and Newcastle we'll just turn up to win.

emu62

Juniors
There's a choker culture that's well entrenched at our club - ask any NRL fan & they'll give you that dismal fact. Alfie Langer sledged it well in the 92-93 grand finals.
It's a choker continuum that includes the current guys in charge - right to the top. Mary, Head, Young, Hornby & Creagh more recently - you could always see the whites of their eyes under pressure. Widdop's infected with it as well now.
Frizell must be made captain.
They're all there still running the show, and it's self-perpetuating, a self-fulfilling prophecy for the club. It's an old boys club where they cover their arses with soft c**k excuses and watch each others' backs in a cosy relationship that's about looking after each other rather than the fans and the club's welfare
Demetriou was shafted because he didn't fit the template.
Bennett cracked that psychology with a hardheadedness that worked until we reverted to type & lost 9 straight in his last year. The chokers were full-on in his face and I remember the day he gave up on them, saying " well they're the ones on the field".
Imagine Bellamy's response to what was served up yesterday?
You just get so sick of being gutted all the time.
The club needs a total cleanout asap & that can only happen with a new CEO & Board.

In addition to your post LINESPEED i remember Gordon Tallis once saying, wrongly or rightly that whilst he was at the club they never came from significantly behind in any game & this was well known by all other clubs

Bench
Last week his use of the bench was hard to understand. At one time the commentators mentioned that Newcastle had all their bench used and we still had Mann sitting there.
Mann was a fresh player who could have been a game changer.
I would love to hear why McIdiot chose not to use him.
Our kicking game was about the worst I have seen this year. If you are going to bomb please have someone chasing the kick.
McIdiot does not use the bench to inject a fresh player into the mix.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Not making any excuses but Knights have been competitive most games and not one to take lightly. Unfortunately looks like Saints did. That is poor attitude by the side as they showed up against a stronger side they are capable. Mentally they are not quite there. Poor coach or player attitude. Tough to say but I think both should be blamed. Very disappointing and these poor losses will be to blame when they are on Mad Monday in 5 weeks time. Only themselves to blame and nobody else. All that great effort at the start of the season to waste.

merahputih

Juniors
The signs were there even in the big win v Manly when they went to sleep after half time and let in four unanswered tries. Unfortunately, in the position they are now in players like Frizzel & maybe Packer who seem to be less than 100% fit probably won't be rested. What looked like a fairly easy run to the finals is now looking really tough.

Bench
Interesting stats on coaches after signing a new contract
FOOTY FACT

Three coaches have been re-signed during the 2017 season - the Bulldogs' Des Hasler, the Dragons' Paul McGregor, and the Raiders' Ricky Stuart.

Their combined winning percentage PRIOR to being re-signed: 52% (Hasler 2/5, McGregor 8/12, Stuart 6/14)

Their combined winning percentage AFTER being re-signed: 35% (Hasler 5/14, McGregor 2/7, Stuart 2/5)

The only teams with records below 35% this season are the Rabbitohs, Tigers and Knights.

Buyer's remorse?

Life's Good

Coach
Interesting stats on coaches after signing a new contract
FOOTY FACT

Three coaches have been re-signed during the 2017 season - the Bulldogs' Des Hasler, the Dragons' Paul McGregor, and the Raiders' Ricky Stuart.

Their combined winning percentage PRIOR to being re-signed: 52% (Hasler 2/5, McGregor 8/12, Stuart 6/14)

Their combined winning percentage AFTER being re-signed: 35% (Hasler 5/14, McGregor 2/7, Stuart 2/5)

The only teams with records below 35% this season are the Rabbitohs, Tigers and Knights.

Buyer's remorse?
Shame there isn't a 6 month cooling off period.
Oh well, Mary might get caught for DUI & the club will sac.... Never mind.

Not making any excuses but Knights have been competitive most games and not one to take lightly. Unfortunately looks like Saints did. That is poor attitude by the side as they showed up against a stronger side they are capable. Mentally they are not quite there. Poor coach or player attitude. Tough to say but I think both should be blamed. Very disappointing and these poor losses will be to blame when they are on Mad Monday in 5 weeks time. Only themselves to blame and nobody else. All that great effort at the start of the season to waste.
Good summary but the coach has the power to drop players with poor attitude.
He should be in control of the situation and have the gumption to take whatever steps are necessary to get the job done.
So the weight of responsibility tips towards the man in charge.

The Damo

Juniors

And dumber.

Straight Shooter[/QUOTE]
Hi obtuse :wave: Always a pleasure to read your erudite, reasoned rebuttals.
Oh hey, while you're here - you still think Packer is better than Vaughan right? Such a sterling example of your insight and analytical rigour, and that you're not just the adolescent shitheel some think you are.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Only change I would make for the next game is Mann in at 7 and McCrone on the bench. Seriously Mann cannot go any worse than McCrone. Nothing to lose. McCrone may only have a better kicking game than Mann but McCrone's kicking game is bad anyway so let Mann improve his kicking game by giving him some game time. Worst case scenario he gives the opposition a couple of 7 tackle plays. McCrone does that anyway. At the end of the Day Widdop should be doing all the kicking and possible McInness from dummy half.