What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Old Timer

Coach
I dont like Mary at all but we beat Newcastle and we were only two points out of the four
So are we 2 points out of the 4 or are we 1 loss out of the eight?
Too many people think about the what ifs in the analysis, we should just deal with the facts and the evidence.
We were 1st, were in the 4 for a good while, we are now just in the eight, we could very well miss the eight and we had more than enough opportunity up until now to have nailed down the eight and challenging the top 4.
Far too many games have had squandered opportunities.

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
So are we 2 points out of the 4 or are we 1 loss out of the eight?
Too many people think about the what ifs in the analysis, we should just deal with the facts and the evidence.
We were 1st, were in the 4 for a good while, we are now just in the eight, we could very well miss the eight and we had more than enough opportunity up until now to have nailed down the eight and challenging the top 4.
Far too many games have had squandered opportunities.

Cowboys have a hard road home Storm, Brisbane, Penrith & Sharks (Tigers the other one).
Manly Good Run.
Parra Good run
Penrith Difficult - Tigers, Cowboys , Raiders, Dragons, Manly.

Dragons - Rabbits, Titans, Broncos, Panthers, Bulldogs.

We need to beat Rabbits, Titans and either Panthers or Bulldogs. to make the eight.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I think Saints will struggle as they usually do against the Titans and freaking bulldogs. If they are thinking they will give the top 8 a good shake then they should flog these 2 sides but they won't. There is also a good chance Saints can end up on 30pts and not make the 8 if Panthers win all their games which is possible. Usually 28pts is the cut off.

Cowboys are playing well. Saints really needed Parra to lose to the Broncos but more importantly to win against their game against the Knights. It would have pushed them up to 6 if those results went their way
Their attitude really stinks against bottom 8 sides. That first half against Manly was sublime but it was against a team that was in the 8 so they stepped it up. They look arrogant. I think coming back to beat the Knights a few weeks ago caused this. Maybe they needed this loss to make them realise they are not that good and what the press is saying that they will not make the 8 is actually looking like a fact. Time will tell.

Lots of people still think Manly will make the 8 and not Saints after being flogged twice by Saints and conceding 90 points in their last 2 games. I will not be suprised in Manly and Saints don't make it and Canberra and Penrith do.

Gareth67

First Grade
I think Saints will struggle as they usually do against the Titans and freaking bulldogs. If they are thinking they will give the top 8 a good shake then they should flog these 2 sides but they won't. There is also a good chance Saints can end up on 30pts and not make the 8 if Panthers win all their games which is possible. Usually 28pts is the cut off.

Cowboys are playing well. Saints really needed Parra to lose to the Broncos but more importantly to win against their game against the Knights. It would have pushed them up to 6 if those results went their way
Their attitude really stinks against bottom 8 sides. That first half against Manly was sublime but it was against a team that was in the 8 so they stepped it up. They look arrogant. I think coming back to beat the Knights a few weeks ago caused this. Maybe they needed this loss to make them realise they are not that good and what the press is saying that they will not make the 8 is actually looking like a fact. Time will tell.

Lots of people still think Manly will make the 8 and not Saints after being flogged twice by Saints and conceding 90 points in their last 2 games. I will not be suprised in Manly and Saints don't make it and Canberra and Penrith do.

Slippery , I believe that you are very close to the mark . We certainly needed a Broncos , Bulldogs and Rabbits victory . And of course our own blokes to win , not to be . I also believed that the cut-off this year would be 30 points and not 28 , it would appear to be almost unattainable now .

So yet again , it seems as the Dragons will be depending upon other results going our way , to gain entry into the final eight . Simply not good enough , where has the old pride gone that was always so evident in years gone by ?

Slippery , I believe that you are very close to the mark . We certainly needed a Broncos , Bulldogs and Rabbits victory . And of course our own blokes to win , not to be . I also believed that the cut-off this year would be 30 points and not 28 , it would appear to be almost unattainable now .

So yet again , it seems as the Dragons will be depending upon other results going our way , to gain entry into the final eight . Simply not good enough , where has the old pride gone that was always so evident in years gone by ?
Success does not equal pride and pride does not equal success.. this club holds a higher integrity then outher club. Never involved with salary cap scandals, no outlawed peptides used at our club or any cheating in any way shape or form.. there's a shit load to be proud about this club, as well as the history of St.George and Illawarra.. i don't see no lack in pride..

Success does not equal pride and pride does not equal success.. this club holds a higher integrity then outher club. Never involved with salary cap scandals, no outlawed peptides used at our club or any cheating in any way shape or form.. there's a shit load to be proud about this club, as well as the history of St.George and Illawarra.. i don't see no lack in pride..

Well pride in success has gone out the window.

Straight Shooter

Gareth67

First Grade

Lizzie , thank you ever so much for those ' pearls of wisdom ' , I shall certainly remember your most valued contribution to my wealth of 60+ years of rugby league knowledge on the next occasion that I need to ' spend a penny ' .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
What a load of dribble please adjust your bib as it is going down the front of your dress.
Go and have a look at our once great Leagues Club which is a relic of a long gone era.
Look how we capitulated re RGRV a disgrace
Look at some of the shit jerseys we trot out in neither StG or Illawarra
Look at our constant poor showing each year which has attracted no quality players (I mean people knocking on the door saying I want to play for St GI) and ultimately dictated we pay high price to lure Hunt
Look at the contempt the NRL treat us with re time slots for when we play
Look at the way the media treat us with contempt including some of our own like Gasnier
Look at the butt ordinary players who can get a contract at our club including getting a shot in 1st grade and when they get there they stay there.
You simply have no idea.

giboz71

First Grade

We have no ruthless edge against poor sides. The only time I've seen it is against the Panthers and Manly and both were highly favoured against us.

Not sure why the same can't apply against the shit teams. Same old story happens, grind and grind away and let these teams just stick with us, then they get a lucky try or a call goes against us and there is no coming back.

Not sure why we can't put these teams away early, With our forwards, we should be blowing these teams away, but we never do. Then we get frustrated, push passes, make errors and its all over.

So fricking frustrating.

BennyV

Referee
I've refrained from responding to your posts as you are an obvious troll and doing a damn fine job at revving people up.

BUT for anyone reading this thinking 'yeah, she's right'...NO! That is not pride. Not f**king up in the exact same way as other clubs does not equal pride, same as not being shit as a couple of other shitty clubs does not equal success.

We should be striving for pride in our on-field performances, our off-field business and management, real measures like profits, memberships, crowd figures and recognition that should quantify us as the best club. Not pointing out what a bunch of other shit clubs have done and going 'yeah, well at least we didnt do that, so be proud'.

Pure acceptance of mediocrity!

merahputih

Juniors
We have no ruthless edge against poor sides. The only time I've seen it is against the Panthers and Manly and both were highly favoured against us.

Not sure why the same can't apply against the shit teams. Same old story happens, grind and grind away and let these teams just stick with us, then they get a lucky try or a call goes against us and there is no coming back.

Not sure why we can't put these teams away early, With our forwards, we should be blowing these teams away, but we never do. Then we get frustrated, push passes, make errors and its all over.

So fricking frustrating.
A good yardstick to guage our performance: look at Storm v Manly following our game. Put 40 points on Manly & kept them to one try. We let Manly back in the game & let them score 4 tries in quick time after the break & nearly lost momentum.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
It seems MR MCGREGOR rant about referees being embarrassing and incompetent really says it all .about his own abilities and future as coach of the BIG RED V.

blacksafake

First Grade

So fricking frustrating.
It's called dragons footy!

Before the Knights game i said as much re playing direct with support.Why they persist in playing dumb lazy football when playing teams we should be beating is beyond me.It has to come back to the coach.For example when Lafai threw his pass over the sideline last week with little respect for the ball i would have hooked him & put Mann on even if only to put the wind up him to get his mind back on the job.

So fricking frustrating.
Just look at the "ruthless" teams like Melbourne, Easts, Cronulla etc.
All their coaches in conjunction with the on field captains. drive outcomes for 80 minutes and will not accept periods in the game where their teams clock off.
We do it all the time to our detriment.
Your answer is our coach is not up to FG standard and Widdop is not an on field leader.
Don't be fooled by the occasional flash in the pan when our forwards run riot.
You put the under 20's back line behind that and they will score piles of points.

giboz71

First Grade
Just look at the "ruthless" teams like Melbourne, Easts, Cronulla etc.
All their coaches in conjunction with the on field captains. drive outcomes for 80 minutes and will not accept periods in the game where their teams clock off.
We do it all the time to our detriment.
Your answer is our coach is not up to FG standard and Widdop is not an on field leader.
Don't be fooled by the occasional flash in the pan when our forwards run riot.
You put the under 20's back line behind that and they will score piles of points.

I agree we're missing something. And this is a failure of the coach and on field leadership to keep the blow torch on for the full 80 mins.

Watching the good sides against weaker sides, the good sides always assert their dominance and never take their foot off the pedal. Even if it's a weaker team, they still have that hard edge. When the shit teams play us, they always feel like they are in the match, and this causes them to lift. Newy had only won 2 games all year, of course they were going to lift when they could sniff a rare win. Souths will be the same.

Question is, why are we giving the shit teams the ability to stay with us? The teams you mentioned.....Melbourne, Easts, Cronulla etc never let that happen.

I agree we're missing something. And this is a failure of the coach and on field leadership to keep the blow torch on for the full 80 mins.

Watching the good sides against weaker sides, the good sides always assert their dominance and never take their foot off the pedal. Even if it's a weaker team, they still have that hard edge. When the shit teams play us, they always feel like they are in the match, and this causes them to lift. Newy had only won 2 games all year, of course they were going to lift when they could sniff a rare win. Souths will be the same.

Question is, why are we giving the shit teams the ability to stay with us? The teams you mentioned.....Melbourne, Easts, Cronulla etc never let that happen.
Newcastle were always going to be up for the game against us because they came to within a whisker of beating us at home the first time we played them.
So mentally they thought they were a big chance, especially in front of their home crowd.
If we beat them convincingly the first time, it would have been much harder mentally for them the second time.
As you say, all teams think they have a chance against us because we regularly lapse during games.
The main responsibility lies with the coach but you get a hard nosed, lead by example kind of captain driving them on the field, and it would make a big difference.

Lizzie I have a scandal for you - the year is 1977 - the place is the Georges River Sailing Club.

Rod Reddy jumped the bar took his shirt off and licked the bartenders ankles

Scandalous

By "bartender" you mean a bloke right?
That's an image that may take sometime to remove from my brain.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Newcastle were always going to be up for the game against us because they came to within a whisker of beating us at home the first time we played them.
So mentally they thought they were a big chance, especially in front of their home crowd.
If we beat them convincingly the first time, it would have been much harder mentally for them the second time.
As you say, all teams think they have a chance against us because we regularly lapse during games.
The main responsibility lies with the coach but you get a hard nosed, lead by example kind of captain driving them on the field, and it would make a big difference.
unfortunately Cam Smith plays for Melbourne .don't come any more hard nosed .