What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

thebigredv

First Grade
"Please know that I am not going to resign when challenges present, that is simply not my way - I also know that Paul McGregor’s values are the same."

Such admirable character shown by our coach. Thank you Paul for never giving in. Of course we all know it is because you have a family to provide for and no one is going to touch you with a 20ft pole when this is all over. But we can call it 'values' and it will sound better. Good luck against the Bulldogs. I am really confident. We will be a really good chance so long as, like the Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles, they don't try any of those nasty kicks against us.

blacksafake

First Grade
"Please know that I am not going to resign when challenges present, that is simply not my way - I also know that Paul McGregor’s values are the same."

Such admirable character shown by our coach. Thank you Paul for never giving in. Of course we all know it is because you have a family to provide for and no one is going to touch you with a 20ft pole when this is all over. But we can call it 'values' and it will sound better. Good luck against the Bulldogs. I am really confident. We will be a really good chance so long as, like the Tigers, Titans and Sea Eagles, they don't try any of those nasty kicks against us.

Don't forget them long distance tries as well.

since77

Juniors
What about now? Surely he's been sacked

Calm down Grouch, didn't you hear Mary say we were running 7th last week? You can't go around sacking coaches who had us running 7th last week and a for and against this week of -158.

wayne57

Juniors
Mary was really clutching at straws

We were 7h up until a week ago, the bye put us there not by winning, but by other teams loosing

We are 4th in the club championship, Does not exist anymore, I think that went, when reserve grade was abandoned.

We made the eight last year, we wont make the eight this year

It is a wonder he didn't say we won the grand final in 2010, oh we won 11 in a row way back when blah blah blah

Mary you can try and sugar coat it as much as you like, it is about now and your inability to coach the players to their strengths to form a team that can compete to NRL standards

I have no doubt that you have a passion for the club and wish it success but I am afraid you have no idea how to make this happen, it is beyond your skill level as a coach which may be alright for bush footy but is not good enough to be a NRL coach.

Please just admit it is beyond your skill and stop blaming everyone and everything else for the dilemna were in.

Do the honourable thing, just resign and in doing so, saving our club from further embarrassment and the players skill level from any further damage.

Last edited:

Wittenberg

Juniors
I have never, ever, felt so strongly about an issue. McGregor needs to go or 2017 will be a repeat of this year and we need to be successful. Our $ losses are staggering. With Cronulla the golden team, and with increasing financial strength we need success. Was there once a team called Newtown??

Bench
It's been a quick slide down to where we are now as a team, will take years to repair the damage Doust and Mary have inflicted on the team

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Mary spoke about all the phone calls of support he has received from other coaches......well I know the other 15 coaches don't want him to stand down!!!

Yep, probably got calls from Desi, Flanno, maybe even WB, Robbo and even Browny.

"Hey Mary, we play you guys soon, but were 100% behind you, just keep doing what your doing and everything will be sweet mate".

After phone call they all now have pencilled in V Dragons as a win.

since77

Juniors
The media is trying to help us
Another dragons article

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/five-decisions-dragons-need-make/
Great article - here it is in full

THEY ARE one of the biggest and best supported clubs in the country, but make no mistake, the iconic Red V franchise is a mess right now.

From the boardroom to recruitment to on-field execution, the Dragons could not be in a worse position and their passionate fans, quite frankly, deserve so much better than they’re getting.

But the good news is it is all repairable. It won’t be easy and some very, very tough decisions certainly need to be made but if they are, the proud joint venture should get back on track.

1. Sack Mary and hire an experienced coach

Paul McGregor was a brilliant servant to both the Steelers and the Dragons as a player and he is clearly a passionate mentor but he is not the man to lead the club.

In his two and half year reign as coach, the Dragons have failed to reach any great heights and have exhibited the most bland and ineffective football we have seen in years.

Sure, he did manage to buck the trend and sneak the club into the finals last season but any gains made in 2015 have come undone this year.

The Dragons have had a terrible track record with rookie coaches in recent times and management needs to realise the club works best under the guidance of an experienced mentor.

Ivan Cleary and Geoff Toovey are two names which immediately come to mind. Both men have led sides to grand finals and are interested in getting back into the coaching hot seat.

2. Do not offer Mitch Rein a new deal

He was touted as the next NSW hooker but Mitch Rein has caused Dragons fans nothing but pain this season.

A Red V fan in the stands at ANZ Stadium perhaps summed it up best on the weekend when he said; “The longer his hair gets, the more ineffective he becomes”.

Rein’s strength is without doubt his running game but that has been absent in 2016. He has no kicking game and only hurts the side when he tries to force one out of dummy half and his poor distribution often puts the halves under tremendous pressure.

Funnily enough, he is seeking an increased offer to remain at the club beyond 2016 but the lack of interest from rival NRL clubs will make that dream almost impossible.

Out of favour Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook could be an option to return to the club as is former Panther James Segeyaro – who has a clause in his Leeds contract to return to the NRL in December.

3. Strip Gareth Widdop of the captaincy

Some players lift when they have the little ‘c’ next to their name, unfortunately for Dragons fans, Gareth Widdop is not one of them.

The Englishman’s form has regressed in 2016 and whether that has anything to do with the captaincy or not – he certainly doesn’t inspire leadership on the field and perhaps more importantly, doesn’t need any extra pressure or responsibility.

You get the feeling that Tyson Frizell or Jack de Belin would make great leaders of the club for years to come.

4. Do not panic in the transfer market

The club has had a terrible time of late in the open market having missed out on luring the likes of Cooper Cronk, Luke Keary and Corey Norman.

But it is imperative the Dragons do not panic and overpay for the sake of finally landing a playmaker.

It may not be the most popular option but the Dragons are probably best off re-signing Benji Marshall to a one-year deal and aggressively pursuing one of the many high profile off-contract playmakers in 2017.

The worst thing they could do is have big money tied up in a mediocre, unproven or over-the-hill type of player.

5. Once and for all get rid of teflon man Peter Doust

Dragons fans have suffered through 16 long years with Peter Doust at the helm of the club and the time has come for him to either do the right thing and resign or be moved on.

More than anything the Dragons desperately need a cultural change and it starts from the top. The club is clearly suffering on the field and financially and much of that falls on the shoulders of one man.

Just take a look at some of the coaching appointments over the years. His decision to appoint a 29-year-old Nathan Brown, the inexperienced Steve price in 2012 and Paul McGregor in 2014 over the accomplished Neil Henry.

He even managed to let the great Wayne Bennett slip through his fingers by denying the master coach’s request for a five-year deal.

The man needs to be held accountable. Enough is enough!

TruSaint

Referee
I strongly agree with point 4... Buying for the sake of buying.. We are no position to do that.

The rest is really a reflection of the state we are in.

Latest posts