What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

since77

Juniors
Roosters can afford to pay their coaches out of their contracts. We can't.

They might not want to pay him out, but at this stage they can't afford the consequences of not sacking him. 2017 is shaping to be their worst year for quite some time in terms of membership renewals and crowds / merchandise unless the team's performance improves.

Last edited:

St Georgio

Juniors
They might not want to pay him out, but at this stage they can't afford the consequences of not sacking him. 2017 is shaping to be their worst year for quite some time in terms or membership renewals and crowds / merchandise unless the team's performance improves.
I wanted to buy a new jersey this year f**k THAT DOUST!
I am buying my son a New England Patriots jersey instead!

giboz71

First Grade
Once we're done punting our coach, please oh please can we do better with our recruitment team.
I know Warwick's only had a year, but this is where we need to be spot on.

Look at the squad Mulholland's put together in Canberra (can't believe we let him go). Who's responsible for putting together the Titan's roster this year...he's a goddam genius, even after missing DCE. The recruitment done at the Sharks even makes Flanno and Price look like geniuses.

Getting the right coach is important sure, but FMD we need to get our recruitment right as well. If Warwick is not the guy, find someone else.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I understand your frustration in Wollongong losing home games.

Kogarah has also lost the same number of home games that Wollongong has lost.

Reality is NRL would be happy for the JV to fold or be relocated elsewhere in the Country.

Historically had the clubs not agreed to the JV both clubs may have folded.

Certainly Illawarra would not have been able to secure an NRL licence as it was financially in a very poor state.

Saints may have been able to secure a licence but under the current admin would have been no more successful than the JV.

Whilst you feel the Kogarah Mafia is running the show, I have to say that what the JV seems to have inherited from Illawarra is a culture of near enough is good enough, or at least we tried.

What most of the "Saints" supporters lament is the failure to set high standards of performance.

Even if Illawarra has the best juniors in the country, its culture which is deep rooted will ensure it will not succeed alone until that culture/attitude changes.

If Bruce Gordon decides to invest in the JV I would hope that as a successful business man he would more to change the culture. Whether he moves forward as Illawarra or Saint George Illawarra is the only question I am currently interested in.

Apologies mate, i mustn't have worded my post too well. I'm a Saints man through and through. While i may have grown up down the Illawarra, i have been a saints supporter since i was 6 years old and the birth of the Steelers was never going to impact that.....once a saint always a Saint, right;).

My post was just in relation to a comment to a previous post of mine whereby someone suggested i was talking through my arse when i suggested that I believe Mary will not be sacked and discarded, due to pressure from certain elements of the Illawarra for him to be treated more "respectfully". My belief is that Mary will be sensitively relocated sideways in order to appease those Illawarra elements. I don't feel as though the Kogarah Mafia are running the show, in fact, i feel they are incapable of running anything at all, but i am constantly being told by Steelers diehards how disillusioned they are with the JV due to being treated as second rate citizens by the Kogarah crew.

Like you, i will be also very interested in what transpires should the Gordon deal become reality. My friends and rellies in the Illawarra who are Steelers tragics are telling me they can't wait for him to get control so as they can finally be recognised for their contribution to the JV (rightly or wrongly they seem to think the JV can't exist without them but that Kogarah just treats them with contempt and that Gordon is going to blow things wide open). Interesting times ahead.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Agree the review should at least already be in progress. The next few weeks results win or lose don't change the overall unacceptable performance of the entire season.
There is no benefit to waiting until the end of the season, they already have enough information and data to review.
They are though losing valuable time where a new coach could already be engaged, and give him a few weeks to review the teams performances and players in the roster.
We could get a really good head start on next season if this was the case, waiting until seasons end to start the review and then a month or so for their findings to be announced and you're already behind the eight ball in regards to planning for next season..
Seriously another example of stupidity from Doust and his board ...

You are spot on Red , but unfortunately this is looking more and more like we are going to be stuck with this moron coaching again next year. Tough times ahead for next year if this is the case.

I'm guessing we will get the claytons review again, and be told that with their expert analysis they have pinpointed some areas that need small changes and Paul and his well credentialled staff will implement these changes over a rigorous off season campaign.

St Georgio

Juniors
Apologies mate, i mustn't have worded my post too well. I'm a Saints man through and through. While i may have grown up down the Illawarra, i have been a saints supporter since i was 6 years old and the birth of the Steelers was never going to impact that.....once a saint always a Saint, right;).

My post was just in relation to a comment to a previous post of mine whereby someone suggested i was talking through my arse when i suggested that I believe Mary will not be sacked and discarded, due to pressure from certain elements of the Illawarra for him to be treated more "respectfully". My belief is that Mary will be sensitively relocated sideways in order to appease those Illawarra elements. I don't feel as though the Kogarah Mafia are running the show, in fact, i feel they are incapable of running anything at all, but i am constantly being told by Steelers diehards how disillusioned they are with the JV due to being treated as second rate citizens by the Kogarah crew.

Like you, i will be also very interested in what transpires should the Gordon deal become reality. My friends and rellies in the Illawarra who are Steelers tragics are telling me they can't wait for him to get control so as they can finally be recognised for their contribution to the JV (rightly or wrongly they seem to think the JV can't exist without them but that Kogarah just treats them with contempt and that Gordon is going to blow things wide open). Interesting times ahead.

Let me say, Mr Gordy must treat this whole situation very carefully, the true facts are, St George has the second biggest supporters base in Australia and if the Illawarra fans feel second rate that is their poor perspective of reality.
If he dares to use St George as toilet paper to wipes his ass well I can tell he will lose more than what he wished for!

Once we're done punting our coach, please oh please can we do better with our recruitment team.

Look at the squad Mulholland's put together in Canberra (can't believe we let him go). Who's responsible for putting together the Titan's roster this year...he's a goddam genius, even after missing DCE. The recruitment done at the Sharks even makes Flanno and Price look like geniuses.

Getting the right coach is important sure, but FMD we need to get our recruitment right as well. If Warwick is not the guy, find someone else.
Why would anyone join a first grade team if the coach is a loser? Coaching and recruitment go hand in hand. When you have a great coach players are attracted to the club at all levels. Dragons need to act now for the future and have the recruitment team find a winning coach as the number one priority.

Reactions: Qdf

hermidale1

Juniors
At this stage I think it may end up costing the Dragons more to keep McGregor in 2017 than to pay him out.
You are right. There seems to be quite a few players off contract at the end of 2017. They are free to negotiate with other clubs after November 1st. If the club doesn't do something they could lose some good players elsewhere.

giboz71

First Grade
Why would anyone join a first grade team if the coach is a loser? Coaching and recruitment go hand in hand. When you have a great coach players are attracted to the club at all levels. Dragons need to act now for the future and have the recruitment team find a winning coach as the number one priority.

Understand what you're saying but Ricky Stuart has been a laughing stock for years. Was a complete disaster at Parra and his first few years at the Raiders. In steps Mulholland and he assembles a hot squad and now look at them.

Look at the recruitment at the Sharks the years after their drug scandal? And Flanno and Price? Are you kidding me?

Sometimes good recruitment can overcome issues at a club, like a crappy coach.

wayne57

Juniors
I am and always will be a loyal dragons supporter as have been for over 50 plus years.

Once again I feel totally gutted by the pathetic display we put on against the roosters yesterday.

I have come to the conclusion that watching our much loved Dragons is no longer a pleasure but more of a health hazard which takes days to recover from only to be reinfected again a day or two later.

The only cure for this is to get rid of the virus that is affecting our club.

1. sign a coach that can actually coach to NRl standard.

2. get rid of the cronies that are running the show or should I say (crownies)

3. Then and only then we may have a chance of signing players in the key positions we need.

I could not believe the audacity of Mary press conference after the game, how could he sit there and say there were positives in the game etc, where on the other hand you have the coach of the roosters who just smashed us saying they don't deserve to be in the eight.

That says it all, Mary has no idea and is just trying to put a positive spin on it to save his arse.
If you love the dragons as much you say Mary, just do the right thing and walk away as it is clear you have lost the players and are not up to NRL standard.

Last edited:

Lethal25

Juniors
Who'd be willing to contribute for McGregor's payout?

I'd be happy to put money into a sack McGregor fund. Get the fund cracking and keep sending Doust updates with the balance as it grows.

Anyone got expertise in this?

St Georgio

Juniors
Who'd be willing to contribute for McGregor's payout?

I'd be happy to put money into a sack McGregor fund. Get the fund cracking and keep sending Doust updates with the balance as it grows.

Anyone got expertise in this?
I am in How Much!
No Money No Honey ppl!

Uplifting

Juniors

To be fair on recruitment, as many have said on this forum, having a relatively successful coach (yes I'm putting it mildly) makes it tough to lure players over.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I am hoping a review of the club will show that Mary has not met is KPI targets therefore they are entitled to sack him. Same with the recruitment team. Like everyone else in the workforce. If you are not doing the job to what is expected, then they have no reason to hold onto him or pay him for another year.

You would think they have learnt from Price in delaying the obvious and keeping him for another wasted season. From memory was the fans reaction equal or worse for Price in his last few months in charge?