What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

saintphil

Juniors
He will not quite. Too arrogant and thinks he is not accountable .

Then you have Doust, double the arrogance

"jobs for the boys" culture is also hurting - looking at Young/Hornby etc etc
good idea to get rid of mary, while their at it marshal and rein.
this wont happen and all the red v members that pay up pre season will make sure of that, because the club will already have there money so it doesnt matter how we go next year.

If I was advising young Leilua... I would want a coaches clause put in to any Dragons contract:

Coach Clause:

a) save in a fire emergency situation, not receive any direction or instruction from Paul McGregor, whilst training or playing the Game for the Club. All coaching instruction is only to provided by suitably qualified persons (real coaches).

In fact .. I would advise all new signings to add said clause and any existing players to request an addendum.

Maybe this is a way to fast track the inevitable execution of this overreaching peanut.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
If i was young Leilua i'd find another club.
Absolutely. And this is the worst thing about today's result, we will lose good juniors on the back of a performance like that. If the team isn't prepared to give their all with a finals spot on the line, if the coach isn't able to come up with a game plan, if the captain is unable to inspire the team, who can blame them if they choose to look elsewhere.

St Georgio

Juniors
Took you that long?

Straight Shooter
Well..Sir Alex Ferguson did Jack Shit in his first 3 season at Man U, then bam they went on to win a number Premier League championships and other Championship leagues..I thought Muppett coach 2 showed Promise last year by taking them to the semis, but you of course mr genius knew much better!

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
My anger with the Dragons board and management has really grown quite fierce. The lack of action is appalling.

We can't start to rebuild our team until we have a coach who knows what he wants. It is now almost the end of the regular season, there will be a blackout on transfers during the finals for players. McGregor hasn't been given his marching orders, he is able to coach us to more and more rubbish performances and we are none-the-wiser as to who will be mentoring our playing group next year.

If the answer is Paul McGregor from these halfwits I will deadset give it away.

Like many I have hung in there cheering on the team regardless but I can longer support a team that is rotting with individuals who are serving their own needs at the players' and fans' expense. I really do feel for the players, maybe even Widdop and Marshall.

There is no harm in firing Paul today. It can only bring hope and some relief to those who care about Dragons winning games.

WHEN WILL MCGREGOR BE SACKED?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The season is over, we cannot make the finals.

The season review meeting should start tomorrow.

1st point of business: Team performance - wins 9 losses 13 : for 292 (12 points per game) against 482 (20 points per game) : ladder position 11th
Resolution :Sack McGregor, make play for Ivan Cleary

2nd point of business:
Review compete, close meeting.

Really, what else is there to review.

For a first grade Dragon's team to have 40 points scored against it in a game they were expected to win tells everyone this is a team with poor leadership, attitude and lack of courage.

For a club with such a proud tradition the coach, support staff and players should consider what they are really bringing to this club and if they are really honest with themselves and have some self respect at least 60% would not return for next season.

Already, the Dragons are having difficulty attracting quality players for next season and this is because everyone on the outside looking in does not want to play for a club that has a coach, support staff and playing group that is not up to first grade standard with no chance of winning the premiership for next year.

Dragons need to start rebuilding for the club to be a dominant force again say in two years, similar to the strategy Canberra Raiders have done. Hope they start with a new coach and someone that will attract champion players (especially the hooker, halfback positions) to the club and put the great spirit and courage that once existed back into the first grade team.

Sorry everyone but for next year best not to expect them to make the eight again, maybe 2018 depending on the decisions the board make now! Unfortunately the Dragons like any team that does not have solid leadership, courage and highly skilled performers wanting to give 100% in coaching and playing on game day the end result is always disappointment for the supporters and eventually financial losses for the club.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Sorry to say thats a load of bullshit.

Lots of Illawarra people want him gone and using the Steelers supporters dignity spin you certainly have pulled that statement out of thin air or your arse.

I was born and raised in the Illawarra, played most of my footy there, most of my family and friends are still there and a lot of them were dyed in the wool Steeler's tragics. When i talk footy these days with a lot of them, the conversation goes something like...."with the Kogarah Gestapo pulling the strings, the Illawarra side of the JV is nothing more than a breeding ground for the Saints to pillage". I'm well aware that a lot of Illawarra people want Mary gone, but there is a lot of them that would see his sacking as the Kogarah crew just flexing their muscle with scant regard for what the Gong half of the JV might want. There is a lot of animosity and disdain for this JV from both sides, whether you believe it or not.

Then there's the Illawarra contingent on the board and the hangers on, the main reason for me believing there is some 'face saving" maneuvers at play. We all know that Sean O'Connor was never prepared to entertain anyone other than Mary as head coach. He even went as far as saying that Mary would be the next Super Coach, lol, he must feel like an absolute f**kwit about now and will be doing everything in his power to have Mary shuffled on quietly and respectfully so as not to draw too much attention to himself for putting the impostor there in the first place. He was also obviously able to get at least one of the saints directors to side with him in order for Mary to get the gig....guess that/those directors are still trying to wipe the egg off their faces and would prefer that his exit is done sensitively so as not to draw attention to their imbecilic actions also.

The Illawarra side of the JV are still smarting over losing games in the Gong that were promised to them when the merger was signed and still to this day believe they are being dictated to and treated as irrelevant by the Saints. Whether you want to believe that face saving, placating, dignity decisions or any other form of carefully scripted plays to try and keep certain factions happy are just thin air or arse pulled statements is rightfully your decision to make, and i respect that, but i also have my position which i stated above and until i see otherwise i am comfortable with sticking with it.

As I stated, there is no way that we can't afford to pay Mary out one years worth of his contract, so we can extinguish that excuse. He is obviously a total failure and it is untenable for him to continue for another season as is, but he still there, so obviously the powers to be are too weak to make the correct call and dismiss him effective immediately for incompetence. So in my opinion, stress my opinion, either the board are finding or have found a suitable replacement and it will be announced at seasons end, or, they are carefully structuring "a change" that sees Mary's and the Steelers dignity kept in tact (along with O'Connor, and anyone else involved that have f**ked up royally) and that this will evolve in the quiet of the off season in the hope that the least amount of attention is drawn to it. I tend to think it will be the latter (as i was suggesting on my original post) and all the recent talk of Cleary being muted as a director of coaching sort of starts to fit this line of thought. I really hope i'm wrong and that sanity prevails, but with all the egos, politics and big brother little brother sentiment, i can't help feeling we will end up with a "peacemakers solution" to our coaching woes. Problem is, most peace talks inevitably break down and turn to shit, which is exactly where i expect to end up if Mary is still allowed anywhere near the team into the future.

Walpole

Juniors
Agree with a lot of what's been said. Mary must he sacked and Cleary brought in imnediately. All players eligible for the Cutters and U20s made available for those teams in order to have a positive end to their season ie. playing in the finals while Cleary (or whoever) sets about preparing for next year and deciding on who's worth keeping, who gets the flick and who we can sign. It has to happen now or we can simply write next year off as well.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If I was Doust I would go all out to divert attention from this disaster.

So I would expect he would have been straight on the phone to the recruitment guys with the message "sign Leilua no matter the cost!"

Then announce to us that Luciano has re-signed.

We are elated, forum goes into overdrive on the virtues of him staying with the Dragons and today's game forgotten and McGregor survives.

Mr Red

First Grade
The season is over, we cannot make the finals.

The season review meeting should start tomorrow.

1st point of business: Team performance - wins 9 losses 13 : for 292 (12 points per game) against 482 (20 points per game) : ladder position 11th
Resolution :Sack McGregor, make play for Ivan Cleary

2nd point of business:
Review compete, close meeting.

Really, what else is there to review.

Agree the review should at least already be in progress. The next few weeks results win or lose don't change the overall unacceptable performance of the entire season.
There is no benefit to waiting until the end of the season, they already have enough information and data to review.
They are though losing valuable time where a new coach could already be engaged, and give him a few weeks to review the teams performances and players in the roster.
We could get a really good head start on next season if this was the case, waiting until seasons end to start the review and then a month or so for their findings to be announced and you're already behind the eight ball in regards to planning for next season..
Seriously another example of stupidity from Doust and his board ...

I was born and raised in the Illawarra, played most of my footy there, most of my family and friends are still there and a lot of them were dyed in the wool Steeler's tragics. When i talk footy these days with a lot of them, the conversation goes something like...."with the Kogarah Gestapo pulling the strings, the Illawarra side of the JV is nothing more than a breeding ground for the Saints to pillage". I'm well aware that a lot of Illawarra people want Mary gone, but there is a lot of them that would see his sacking as the Kogarah crew just flexing their muscle with scant regard for what the Gong half of the JV might want. There is a lot of animosity and disdain for this JV from both sides, whether you believe it or not.

Then there's the Illawarra contingent on the board and the hangers on, the main reason for me believing there is some 'face saving" maneuvers at play. We all know that Sean O'Connor was never prepared to entertain anyone other than Mary as head coach. He even went as far as saying that Mary would be the next Super Coach, lol, he must feel like an absolute f**kwit about now and will be doing everything in his power to have Mary shuffled on quietly and respectfully so as not to draw too much attention to himself for putting the impostor there in the first place. He was also obviously able to get at least one of the saints directors to side with him in order for Mary to get the gig....guess that/those directors are still trying to wipe the egg off their faces and would prefer that his exit is done sensitively so as not to draw attention to their imbecilic actions also.

The Illawarra side of the JV are still smarting over losing games in the Gong that were promised to them when the merger was signed and still to this day believe they are being dictated to and treated as irrelevant by the Saints. Whether you want to believe that face saving, placating, dignity decisions or any other form of carefully scripted plays to try and keep certain factions happy are just thin air or arse pulled statements is rightfully your decision to make, and i respect that, but i also have my position which i stated above and until i see otherwise i am comfortable with sticking with it.

As I stated, there is no way that we can't afford to pay Mary out one years worth of his contract, so we can extinguish that excuse. He is obviously a total failure and it is untenable for him to continue for another season as is, but he still there, so obviously the powers to be are too weak to make the correct call and dismiss him effective immediately for incompetence. So in my opinion, stress my opinion, either the board are finding or have found a suitable replacement and it will be announced at seasons end, or, they are carefully structuring "a change" that sees Mary's and the Steelers dignity kept in tact (along with O'Connor, and anyone else involved that have f**ked up royally) and that this will evolve in the quiet of the off season in the hope that the least amount of attention is drawn to it. I tend to think it will be the latter (as i was suggesting on my original post) and all the recent talk of Cleary being muted as a director of coaching sort of starts to fit this line of thought. I really hope i'm wrong and that sanity prevails, but with all the egos, politics and big brother little brother sentiment, i can't help feeling we will end up with a "peacemakers solution" to our coaching woes. Problem is, most peace talks inevitably break down and turn to shit, which is exactly where i expect to end up if Mary is still allowed anywhere near the team into the future.

I understand your frustration in Wollongong losing home games.

Kogarah has also lost the same number of home games that Wollongong has lost.

Reality is NRL would be happy for the JV to fold or be relocated elsewhere in the Country.

Historically had the clubs not agreed to the JV both clubs may have folded.

Certainly Illawarra would not have been able to secure an NRL licence as it was financially in a very poor state.

Saints may have been able to secure a licence but under the current admin would have been no more successful than the JV.

Whilst you feel the Kogarah Mafia is running the show, I have to say that what the JV seems to have inherited from Illawarra is a culture of near enough is good enough, or at least we tried.

What most of the "Saints" supporters lament is the failure to set high standards of performance.

Even if Illawarra has the best juniors in the country, its culture which is deep rooted will ensure it will not succeed alone until that culture/attitude changes.

If Bruce Gordon decides to invest in the JV I would hope that as a successful business man he would more to change the culture. Whether he moves forward as Illawarra or Saint George Illawarra is the only question I am currently interested in.

Latest posts