What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

possm

Coach
I'd like to know exactly what percentage of knowledgable Dragons fans actually back McGregor by now. He had his apologists the first few years but now it seems none of us can justify him staying in the position.

This is getting a bit farcical. Historically we don't accept mediocrity from our coaches. History has also taught us that if you don't have the right coach, it doesn't matter who plays, you can't win a comp.

Some might say a 49% success rate is passable. Not if you coach the mighty Dragons.
We had a higher threshold of expectations when Brown was coach. To this end Doust refused to give Bennett a 5 year deal because he was worried about the quality of coaching Bennett could deliver. Instead he offered a 3 year deal when Bennett was already committed to come to the Dragons. This decision later backfired on SGI when Bennett refused an extension offer after winning the 2010 competition with SGI. In recent years he refused to return to the Dragons amid offers presented by Peter Doust.

On the other hand, Mary has achieved nothing and shown he hasn't got a clue but still gained extensions for a total of 5 years as head coach. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

rednwhites

Juniors
So far, arguably the greatest moment of SuperCoachs career was the thrashing of Brisbane in the semi last year.
Clearly that was the players just playing off the cuff & throwing out the game plan.
Says it all really.

Fond memories of Korbin Sims being a turnstile to his brother, of Lomax and Dufty doing things we haven't seen since Mundine and Blacklock down the right side of the field. Where are those 3 players now?

This bloke has no idea.

getsmarty

Immortal
Slater on the Footy show asked if what the Storm do was "Off the cuff".........He replied most of the tries you see are practiced up to a dozen times a week in training...in other words what you see on the field is what they do at Training.

This being the case, why does our right edge still have issues after 4 seasons ?

Why is our interchange so ineffective.

Why do our players at times look lost...

OVER TO YOU McGregor.

merahputih

Juniors
Slater on the Footy show asked if what the Storm do was "Off the cuff".........He replied most of the tries you see are practiced up to a dozen times a week in training...in other words what you see on the field is what they do at Training.

This being the case, why does our right edge still have issues after 4 seasons ?

Why is our interchange so ineffective.

Why do our players at times look lost...

OVER TO YOU McGregor.
I read a couple of articles about Craig Bellamy's recent off season study tours to countries including Britain and Europe where he spent time with guys like Eddie Jones and English Premier League coaches and sucked their brains about training methods etc. This from a guy you would think knew it all, but like all good professionals he never stops evolving and learning from outside influences.

Meanwhile back in sleepy old Illawarra....

getsmarty

Immortal
I read a couple of articles about Craig Bellamy's recent off season study tours to countries including Britain and Europe where he spent time with guys like Eddie Jones and English Premier League coaches and sucked their brains about training methods etc. This from a guy you would think knew it all, but like all good professionals he never stops evolving and learning from outside influences.

Meanwhile back in sleepy old Illawarra....

Exactly....but the buck stops with the Board.........

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Surely the sands of time are running out for McGregor, even his allies are starting to turn, so surely our heads in the trough board can see how damaging he really is. Career coach? Nah, there have been many "career coaches" and many have successful coaching at a level suited to their ability, Chip Taylor is one who coached Wyong for many years, but never sought to go heyond his means. This idea the board has of creating a dynasty aka Bennett at the Broncos (1st time round) or Bellamy at the Storm, only works when the ability of the coach equals the challenge presented. This is where McGregor falls short, his ability (if you call it that) doesn't equate to the challenge, no matter how much lipstick you put on the pig.

Replacement/s:
Firstly, I would go for JD. Rookie yes but with enough pedigree that would equate with the challenge. Some say, oh but he wasn't selected for the Broncos gig, tgat is true, however, they sent their applicants to do biometric testing and speech presentations. I'm confident in saying the majority of NRL coaches would also find this daunting. Imagine Jack Gibson or Harry Bath having to do this. JD is your typical old head on young shoulders type, maybe not to articulate when making speeches, but its obvious given his track record, he can coach.
Jusyin Holbrook would be my #2 choice. Similar to JD, but his availability us the only question (I mean when he could take the reigns, as we dont want any of Young or Hornby as intrim coaches at all).

We need fresh ideas urgently and a coach who can make the hard decisions, not just be a mate. Play to win, and play to win the premiership, not be content with mediocracy. And pkease, no more "I have the team I want..............next year"

Smurf

Juniors
This time last year we were 2 from 2
Finally we had a half back Hunt to complement our 5/8 Gaz.
All year Hunt plays half , Gaz plays 5/8 (Also if Gaz didn’t re injure his shoulder in the Broncos semi , IMO we would of beaten Souths ).
So what does McGregor do for 2019

Takes our best 5/8 and puts him at fullback and relegates our only X factor player to a token ten mins on the bench .

No one would ever do this. No one .

Only Mary

That , and not installing confidence in our juniors , use of the bench , broken record excuses , 50% success rate , is more than enough to get him removed , and removed now.

For me JD - I really enjoyed watching him get the Dragon reserves to not one but two premierships ......

Rant over

Smurf

Juniors
All year Hunt plays half , Gaz plays 5/8 (Also if Gaz didn’t re injure his shoulder in the Broncos semi , IMO we would of beaten Souths ).

Takes our best 5/8 and puts him at fullback and relegates our only X factor player to a token ten mins on the bench .

Only Mary

That , and not installing confidence in our juniors , use of the bench , broken record excuses , 50% success rate , is more than enough to get him removed , and removed now.

For me JD - I really enjoyed watching him get the Dragon reserves to not one but two premierships ......

Rant over

Oh and don’t get me started with the no selection of our best centre is years - Lomax .....

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Only Mary

Rant over

Very well said, mate.
Nothing really more to add except to state that Norman, who wasn't exactly setting the world on fire last year..... gets a 'walk up start' without having to prove himself!

Banjo2014

Juniors
Is it arrogance, an I don't care attitude or does he really think that he is a successful coach.

At 0-2 and looking at 0-3 and perhaps 0-4 why the hell would you book yourself on Fox 360 this Monday night - he should be hitting the tapes and preparing for Thursday night.

Cannot see us beating Broncos or the Knights.

FFS

LINESPEED

Juniors
Is it arrogance, an I don't care attitude or does he really think that he is a successful coach.

At 0-2 and looking at 0-3 and perhaps 0-4 why the hell would you book yourself on Fox 360 this Monday night - he should be hitting the tapes and preparing for Thursday night.

Cannot see us beating Broncos or the Knights.

FFS

He knows it’ll be a puffpiece interview with Fox & Friends.

Maybe ....

The media want a coach-under- pressure story.

Great to hear this Banjo because the only reason someone would seek to put their case publically would be that they’re under extreme pressure - after having lost the respect of the players & fans ( perhaps even a few nervous trogs on the Board?)

My son was telling me that the venom directed his way on radio talkback is way more potent than this Forum

He won’t have the intelligence to argue & deflect his way out of this self-inflicted debacle

So FOX, ask the questions we’ve all been asking & act like ethical journalists to cut through the bullshit to expose the prik for the imposter he is.

Give us some justice for the juniors & Club he’s destroying.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade

Only Mary

Rant over
He’s an innovator ol L plate.:rolling_eyes:

Latest posts