What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
That is a generalization and just not true.
In any case what does the junior base have to do with being joined at the hip with Illawarra?
Where else would the Illawarra juniors go to?

Without access to the Illawarra’s junior base, I severely doubt SGI would’ve won the title in 2010. Regarding the juniors themselves, I imagine they would go to either the highest bidder and/or a club which offers a pathway to first grade.

Without access to the Illawarra’s junior base, I severely doubt SGI would’ve won the title in 2010. Regarding the juniors themselves, I imagine they would go to either the highest bidder and/or a club which offers a pathway to first grade.
Under private ownership we may well have won more then one premiership since 1999.
I think we can hypothesize ad nauseum but the influence of the Illawarra junior base is overstated.
The results are there for all to see.
We won the comp in 2010 because Bennett knew what he was doing and created a slick and cohesive team that built their success on defence.
Look, I am not denigrating the Illawarra RL nursery at all, I am advocating perspective.

merahputih

Juniors
Juniors played their part but a key factor in Bennett's success in 2010 was identifying weaknesses in our roster, particularly a perceived softness in the forwards. He brought in tough, experienced players in Jeremy Smith, Neville Costigan and a top class (then) fullback, Darius Boyd. Without those imports I doubt we would have won the title.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Juniors played their part but a key factor in Bennett's success in 2010 was identifying weaknesses in our roster, particularly a perceived softness in the forwards. He brought in tough, experienced players in Jeremy Smith, Neville Costigan and a top class (then) fullback, Darius Boyd. Without those imports I doubt we would have won the title.
Without Jeremy Smith we wouldn't have won the title

St Hope

Juniors
Well I think it has got nothing to do with the players but how they are coached (reason for this forum)
Lets take two players as examples JDB & Luciano
JDB is a big minutes player and he is a in line or through the line player with the ball not a before the line player .
Proof to me was his game in the final against Souths even injured he played 70 odd minutes and was just about our best player.
Luciano carries the ball like a ball player can play before the line, in the line or through the line but hardly gets a start .
In JDB's case I am sure it cost him a starting spot in the SOO 3 game last year.
Game plan seem the same all season , Most top teams are fine tuning things in the first half of the season ,we play the same statistic driven sh.. all season and when we get behind have nothing in place to remedy the situation.
Last year we got flogged by CB no answers we win that we end up in the top 4 ,the last 5 years second half of the season are littered with this tripe IT is time for a change .
I don't discount rookie coaches Bellamy ,Flanagan & Robinson were first time first grade coaches and their records speak for themself.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I'd like to add the most successful teams in recent decade such as Melbourne, Roarters, and Scumnulla have won comps on recruitment rather than juniors! and continue to be successful today.
The St George Dragons actually had a better semi-final strike rate before the merger. FACT.

Furthermore the salary cap has put clubs with smaller junior nurseries on par with bigger nurseries.
Big nurseries in Sydney have actualy failed such as;
Penrith - inconsistent & no comp in last 10 years & Minimal semis appearance
Parramatta - inconsistent & no comp in last 10 years & Minimal semis appearance
St George illawarra - inconsistent & no comp in last 10 years & Minimal semis appearance

Its simply comes down to good management which we seem to not have.

Last edited:

Smurf

Juniors
Look at the Tigers squad
Look at Our squad
Look at the table
They have Madge with a very ordinary team
We have McExit with four state of origin players

Our coach is just crap.

And if you listen to his pre match interviews on the Dragons website he keeps saying this player is injured , that player is suspended , mentions JDB and then contradicts himself time and time again and says “ but that’s not an excuse “

I am so over him

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Look at the Tigers squad
Look at Our squad
Look at the table

Our coach is just crap.

And if you listen to his pre match interviews on the Dragons website he keeps saying this player is injured , that player is suspended , mentions JDB and then contradicts himself time and time again and says “ but that’s not an excuse “

I am so over him

Yes, very true.
The St George board of old would be collectively turning in their graves.

St Hope

Juniors
Look at the Tigers squad
Look at Our squad
Look at the table

Our coach is just crap.

I am so over him
Would seem to contradict the previous 4 seasons also or is that the same reason only a different year no these excuses would be valid if it wasn't for sadly the evidence of the previous years.
Despite how much I want him gone come on the SAINTS

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
All the Club had to do was wait till September to see if an extowas justified. For life of me I don’t understand the rush to resign him.
Club now looks like idiots and have painted themselves into a corner.

FT,
To be honest, l really don't think they care what the outside world has to say.
For any so called business to break all the rules of busiiness ethics in correct procedures of appointing the right people into the right positions, throw them out the door and appoint purely of having played for the two clubs, displays total disregard for those of us, looking in.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
All the Club had to do was wait till September to see if an extowas justified. For life of me I don’t understand the rush to resign him.
Club now looks like idiots and have painted themselves into a corner.
They had to rush it through after a few flukey wins.....before it all turned to sh*t ,and then they wouldn't have been able to extend mary. It's all a scammin old mates act....rort

ChocOConnor

Juniors
McGregor does not watch the CC games

Can someone confirm this I just got told this an hour ago.

If this is true we are a disgrace of a club and board to even consider signing this guy.

Hence why we are about to lose 2 of the best juniors albeit untried for the long haul to other clubs

The guy really thinks he is a coach.

Listen Paul just watch parra play after the 34th minute and see what some 2nd phase play can do to a well coached defense such as Canberra.

Like I said on a previous post this is like Neddy smith given the green light and our board being the dodger. There is no other reason this clown can be spoken as a first grade coach

rednwhites

Juniors
One day the current board, the coaching staff and a bunch of b grade players will be gone and this club will be great again. This is inevitable, and the only thing that helps me sleep at night.

Until then I get most of my enjoyment watching other teams. I never thought it would come to this.

Latest posts