What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

18to87

First Grade
I don't think the media take these things seriously until there are big numbers as people can sign multiple times. I would say 10-15K are needed to make an impact.

BLM01

First Grade
Wont dont we have a state wide referendum at the polls. We vote YES or NO to sacking Mary.
Then...only then will something actually change.
These petitions do nothing and mean nothing to the people that can make change...and get thrown in the garbage or get forgotten after a few wins.
Waste of time including thoise who go to admirable effort to get it started

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Dragons coach Paul McGregor's job is safe, says Phil Gould

WRITTEN BYSPORTING NEWS
LEAGUE
ST. GEORGE-ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
LEAGUE

Despite the growing fan demands for Paul McGregor to be sacked, Phil Gould feels the St George Illawarra Dragons coach is in no "danger whatsoever".

The results-hungry Dragons army has long been disgruntled with McGregor at the helm but their desire to see him axed ramped up following last Sunday's embarrassing 36-14 loss to the Canberra Raiders.

And with only six wins this year, the media has begun asking questions of McGregor's credentials, particularly after the Gold Coast Titans cut ties with Garth Brennan over the weekend.

MORE: Mark Carroll lambasts Dragons players over lack of effort

But Gould gained an insight into St George Illawarra's inner sanctum during a recent event and believes McGregor, who signed a two-year extension in April, is very safe in his position.

"I actually went to a trivia luncheon down at Wollongong a couple of Fridays ago, it was a tribute to Paul McGregor," Gould told the Six Tackles With Gus podcast.

"They were raising money for a very worthy cause but the theme of the lunch was a tribute to Paul McGregor and all his ex-coaches and teammates and players came to speak on his behalf.

"Because I'd coached him in Origin I got an invite to come down and what I found in that room that included all the old St George and old Illawarra people and all the people around the club, it's a really tight-knit club.

"A really great atmosphere, great enthusiasm and a lot of love for the coach. I don't think internally there's any pressure on Paul McGregor that might even be hinted on from the outside."

Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims on Wednesday said the players needed to shoulder the responsibility for the team's recent form, not McGregor.

And that seems to be the thinking of those in power at the Dragons, with Gould confident the mentor is not even close to having to fight for his job.

"People look at the results of late and they go, 'Well, the coach will end up getting the blame and they'll move him on', because that's what we do in rugby league history," Gould said.

"I didn't feel that when I was in that room down there at the luncheon. He's a very highly respected and regarded person within the organisation. He's played for them, he's coached them, he was involved in various roles before he became a coach.

"I don't think Paul McGregor is in any danger whatsoever."
Yes Gus Mercurio Gould, paul mcgregor is so brilliant Wayne Bennett showed him the door the first day he came down from Queensland. It's the swill trough dwellers that brought him back so they can all stick their snouts in. Too buisy being matey matey paly paly to worry about being a professionally run organization. Vomit alright.

BLM01

First Grade
Gus is judging how tight knit a club is... at a paid for function piss up. Of course everyone is jovial and I am sure the club paid for its current heirarchy, football department employees / players and invitees who went to make it a success..for a good cause of course and to take part in the charity auctions.
I am sure GUS had a good time too

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Unfortunately the way I see it nothings going to change.....theres to many factors/excuses in McGregors favour......firstly the board, the media and then the following......JDB suspension disruption, Origin Reps, Hunts problems hes had to cope with,injuries to Widdop, Graham, Lomax,Lafai, Norman,Korbin Sims, Tariq Sims suspension etc etc and sorry forgot Frizzels testicles. ..in short sadly he aint going nowhere

Even the rabbits boned their grand final hero coach after 3 seasons of under-performance and winning the world championship and 9s.

Rusty summoned him to Byron and told him face to face.

They then went out of their way to say what a good bloke he was and so far as anyone knows, they meant it. They were apologetic.

Seibold was signed and then their team went “ ducks in a row” ballistic.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade
Unfortunately the way I see it nothings going to change.....theres to many factors/excuses in McGregors favour......firstly the board, the media and then the following......JDB suspension disruption, Origin Reps, Hunts problems hes had to cope with,injuries to Widdop, Graham, Lomax,Lafai, Norman,Korbin Sims, Tariq Sims suspension etc etc and sorry forgot Frizzels testicles. ..in short sadly he aint going nowhere
Maybe I am an optimist, but a few more losses in a row and being close to the spoon will give them no choice. The number of players picked for Origin has helped the situation as wel

Something that could save him is if Widdop were to come back and carve up. It wouldn't make much sense to us because Widdop is leaving, but it would be another excuse.

blacksafake

First Grade
BSE you forgot the Latimore injuries as well.:D

Dragons22

Juniors
Even the rabbits boned their grand final hero coach after 3 seasons of under-performance and winning the world championship and 9s.

Rusty summoned him to Byron and told him face to face.

They then went out of their way to say what a good bloke he was and so far as anyone knows, they meant it. They were apologetic.

Seibold was signed and then their team went “ ducks in a row” ballistic.
Imagine if Mary won a grand final.
He would be made head coach for life!
They would NEVER EVER fire him.

I will call them the “co-alition of the willing”, they probably deserve their own thread, but I am a sympathetic tigers fan, not appropriate to meddle too much in dragons private business.

Soward
Lewis
Andrew Moore
Carianis
The nospam49 people
Our sportal guy or whoever from a few pages ago.

These are people who are fundamentally courageous and stand up for the fallen and oppressed.

Sons and daughters of sgi
Those who believe the nrl have stolen past premierships and glory by cruel and inhuman design
Those who saw a proud club now represented by an afterthought striped sock

We will fight the club in the changerooms
We will fight the club at the turnstiles
On the hill and hot dog stand
We will never surrender!
Until Uncle fester has been vanquished.

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Maybe I am an optimist, but a few more losses in a row and being close to the spoon will give them no choice. The number of players picked for Origin has helped the situation as wel

Something that could save him is if Widdop were to come back and carve up. It wouldn't make much sense to us because Widdop is leaving, but it would be another excuse.
Mate as Ive stated before I find it hard to believe that Widdop will carve it up so to speak especially with our position on the ladder and maybe not getting any better after Penrith....... with 2 busted shoulders already and finishing his career in the UK what incentive would there be...whatever the outcome you can bet the imposter will use it as a majoir excuse for his short comings

since77

Juniors
Coach's preview: Round 18 v Panthers
St George Illawarra Dragons coach Paul McGregor talks to the media ahead of a crucial clash against the Penrith Panthers.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/18/coachs-preview-round-18-v-panthers/

Wow. This guys getting better. Now we were 85 minutes from a grand final last year. Add that to his 98 metre fields and a world where a loss is classified as a small win.
Oh and apparently our past is not our future. FFS...

Last edited:

Ringas

Juniors
Jobs for the boys ex dragons players coaching on the board assistant coaching the players know they are looking after each other.they know they still get there match payments if they loose or not so will the coaching staff as they are looking after each other .bring in new coaching staff from outside the club and she the improvement in the players attitudes .put some win bonus in there contracts and see what happens