What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

BennyV

Referee
Pretty sure there was a "Sack Flanno" thread on the Sharks forum a couple of years ago which had the same sort of sentiments as what is being expressed in here. ....and now they want to give him the key to the city!

Who knows what might happen down the track.

There's 2 main parts to coaching - man management and strategy.

I believe Flanno always showed signs of being a good tactician and strategist. I remember Carney being interviewed on NRL360 when he was playing there, and he was talking through a few variations of their plays and how he was taught how to adapt to the defensive line movements in terms of which runner to hit, how to read patterns in defense, etc. In which case, Flanno was just lucky that he was given enough rope to learn how to manage the team properly. Maybe it was the injection of experienced leaders in Ennis and Maloney that helped. Either way, he had 1 ingredient and learned the other along the way.

There's plenty of examples of good tacticians who fail in coaching (e.g. Matt Elliot) and some who slowly learn how to man-manage (e.g Taylor; coming through with that young Tigpies squad will yield results in coming years).

McGregor, however, doesnt have a strategic bone in his body. His attitude towards attack/defense, player selection, structures, stats etc show this. He DID show signs of being able to motivate a team in 2015, which would have been great if he hired the right people around him (e.e Trent Robinson, who tasks his assistants Taylor and Fitzgibbon with his teams attack and defensive structures during their 3-year minor premiership run), however it's sort of evident that he refuses to listen to those around him. As a result of that, and his general attitude, he has also lost the team, so his man-management isnt even a positive any more.

So no, he will not magically become a good coach, save for a major shift in his attitude towards himself, his team and his ego. He might scrape into the finals every now and then and use that to pump himself up, but contrary to what the board claim he does not have a positive future as a first grade coach.

Gomarchin

Juniors
I cannot recall a club EVER coming out and saying that their current coach "has a long term future as an NRL coach."

Why make such a stupid statement when anyone can see (except the CEO/board/committee) that this guy will never EVER have what it takes to be a SUCCESSFUL NRL coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
Just a thought , when all looked lost , should the WIN Corporation come onboard the Joint Venture before season 2017 begins , perhaps there shall be money made available to pay out Mary's contract ?

Correct me if I am wrong but the Salary Cap is used for the players contracts only , therefore the Joint Venture itself is responsible for paying the Coach ?

Without going into the pro's and con's , likes and dislikes of a take-over , it would make sense for a new organisation to remove the biggest stumbling block to its future success .
In this case that is our current coach , Paul McGregor .

If this was to occur , then the only suitable candidate for the role would have to be Jason Demetriou . Hopefully Mary will never have the opportunity of coaching the Dragons again . As I said , it is only a thought , something to give us all some sustenance over the long hot summer months .

Something of interest in today's Kandos Times , was that the Dragons are quoted as $101 second last , to win next years competition , I wonder if the odds would improve if Mary were no longer there ?

Last edited:
I cannot recall a club EVER coming out and saying that their current coach "has a long term future as an NRL coach."

Why make such a stupid statement when anyone can see (except the CEO/board/committee) that this guy will never EVER have what it takes to be a SUCCESSFUL NRL coach.

A wonderful indicator of a coach's ability is his value/demand in the open market. There is not one single club in the NRL who would consider hiring this bloke as a head coach. Dragons board, hang your head in shame.

Straight Shooter

Gareth67

First Grade
Mate, it's not about the money (despite our poor financial state). It's all politics and cronyism.

O.V. - with respect , I can't let go of that last vestige of hope that I cling to . I am not referring to WIN Corp. coming onboard , but more so that of the overwhelming tide of dissent of the J.V. supporters , Red V members and all that have followed the Dragons for who knows how long .

Change must be brought about somehow , so let's begin with the Board , and hopefully the politics and cronyism will go with them .

Carlton

Juniors
I don't believe that money is the reason they don't get rid of Mary, it would not cost any more to pay out Mary and promote JD. I know I'm going to sound paranoid now but I honestly think that the club is being managed towards a predetermined outcome. I think that outcome is one the fans are going to dislike even more than not getting rid of Mary.

I have followed St George for a long time 50+ years but I am convinced the plan is that the St George we love will not exist. I believe that the "brand" will be used to bring in expansion teams based in new areas. I'm fed up with the old boys club, the board and the NRL.

Tuddy

Juniors
Let's play hypotheticals....

If I wanted to buy a club like the Dragons at a greatly reduced price, I could do worse than put some money in the hands of the decision makers (ceo/board) to ensure they made the 'right' decisions in my favour.

Nothing would surprise me after the decisions I've seen made over the last few years.

emack

Juniors
62 pages and counting of us all trying to make the slightest bit of sense out of the fact that we appear to be the only club in the NRL that knows their "head coach" (and I use the term very loosley) is &%$ked, but the management of the club sit on their hands while the Red V burns. I now understand why some clubs are always towards top of the table....................they have a team of back office professionals running them that aren't afraid to make the hard decisions. When will this nightmare end.............seriously, how can the players, the CEO or the board keep a straight face when they look at that inept dopy looking pri#@ and wait for him to totally screw things up for another year.....................rant over, apologies.

Coffs dragon

Bench
It just makes no sense why they would keep Paul McWreckor in charge, unless the aim is to tarnish & trash the JV. Maybe the NRL have said no more cash handout and the WIN takeover has hit a roadblock. Maybe the St George board members want to see the Illawarra partners simply die and be dissolved. I would not trust the NRL with John Grant and Todd Greenberg's aim to ultimately reduce Sydney teams....except his beloved Bulldogs. Maybe relocation of the St.George brand has been suggested as a means of survival with a significant financial incentive minus the debt owed. Who knows, but it sure doesn't add up......!!!

The worst part about it is that Mary will most likely get the chop half through next season anyway. And then we start looking for interim replacement, which means JD (another rookie coach). Then the whole cycle begins again. Granted JD is a step up on Mary but a rookie nonetheless. The worst of the best case scenario.

Straight Shooter

BennyV

Referee
The worst part about it is that Mary will most likely get the chop half through next season anyway. And then we start looking for interim replacement, which means JD (another rookie coach). Then the whole cycle begins again. Granted JD is a step up on Mary but a rookie nonetheless. The worst of the best case scenario.

Straight Shooter
False. The likely outcome is that Mary may ass his way to a few wins on the back of guys like Vaughn, Nene and Hutch not having the sklll coached out of them yet, and will be extended for another 3 years (probably announced on f**king ANZAC day again)...

giboz71

First Grade
Should have a beer or two or three with Flanno for advice on turning things around.

Maybe not a good idea the beers though.

Flanno had plenty of help from his recruitment team.

Getting Maloney, Townsend, Ennis, Bird, Barba, even Matty Prior, all astute buys that contributed in spades into their premiership. The last time we had an influx of good players injected into our club, we won a comp too when Boyd, Smith, Weyman, Costigan, Saffy and Fien came on board.

Roosters did the same in 2013 when Sonny Bill, Maloney, Sam Moa and Jennings all came in the same year. Canberra nearly did the same this year with Leilua, Austin, Sezer, Tapine, Hodgson, Rapana all recent recruits.

It's no secret how to win a comp. Just takes a recruitment team with a clue and a coach that players want to play for.

Unfortunately, we fail on both counts.

Lethal25

Juniors

Bear in mind Saints short term goals are things like find touch with kicks, don't kick out on full from starts. So in essence all about 10 to 15 second goals. Long term is making sure fridge is stocked in coaches box for game day and plan announcements for minimal media exposure, so about a week.

By that reckoning McGregor should have less than a week left in the job

NrlVader

Juniors
Flanno had plenty of help from his recruitment team.

Getting Maloney, Townsend, Ennis, Bird, Barba, even Matty Prior, all astute buys that contributed in spades into their premiership. The last time we had an influx of good players injected into our club, we won a comp too when Boyd, Smith, Weyman, Costigan, Saffy and Fien came on board.

Roosters did the same in 2013 when Sonny Bill, Maloney, Sam Moa and Jennings all came in the same year. Canberra nearly did the same this year with Leilua, Austin, Sezer, Tapine, Hodgson, Rapana all recent recruits.

It's no secret how to win a comp. Just takes a recruitment team with a clue and a coach that players want to play for.

Unfortunately, we fail on both counts.

Flanno plan was to recruit rep players and premiership winners, it did not matter if they were a few metres slower or not as alert. He wanted players who knew how to win.

Only had Gallen as a rep at the time and needed to recruit a dirty dozen, much like the movie.

Latest posts