What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

BennyV

Referee
Mary mate your a top bloke and all but that ain't enough to win a premiership .. Please madge Toovey or Cleary even though Cleary isn't proven as much as the first 2 it's still an upgrade ..as for administration Iv got not idea what they talk about but honestly either plain just can't expect and concede defeat or just oblivious to what is happening to this once great club and I say "once" because of the standard we have witnessed in the past as apposed to the footy we have witnessed since winning a premiership its heart wrenching to say the least.
Ahhhhhh, what? Cleary has shown more than what Toovey has..

Coffs dragon

Bench
"I can see, from my time with the Illawarra Cutters, that [McGregor] will be the next SuperCoach."

-Sean O'Coor, 2014
Is that tosser still a Director????
Now that Origin is over for the year, i rekon you can add Kevin Walters name to the list of targeted coaches.

St Georgio

Juniors
Vautin won a series 3-0. Maybe we should get him.
Vautin for some reason with the lack of real great talent in every aspect of his life, he seems to do ok for himself, he probably would have won a comp for Manly as coach, he did win a comp as Manly captain!

since77

Juniors
Vautin for some reason with the lack of real great talent in every aspect of his life, he seems to do ok for himself, he probably would have won a comp for Manly as coach, he did win a comp as Manly captain!

Vautin is another one of those people, like Mark Geyer and Brad Fittler who I shake my head in disbelief at how they've crafted a media career post footy. I don't begrudge them their success but it does prove that the rugby league community sets such a horrifyingly low bar as to what is recognised as "talent". More recent additions to that list include Nathan Hindmarsh and Brian Fletcher.

BennyV

Referee
Vautin is another one of those people, like Mark Geyer and Brad Fittler who I shake my head in disbelief at how they've crafted a media career post footy. I don't begrudge them their success but it does prove that the rugby league community sets such a horrifyingly low bar as to what is recognised as "talent". More recent additions to that list include Nathan Hindmarsh and Brian Fletcher.
Fletch and Hindmarsh are fine, they at least have some sort of on-air chemistry that makes them somewhat entertaining. Fatty has always just been awkward and tedious.

But if Darren Lockyer can make it as a commentator, anything is possible.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Ahhhhhh, what? Cleary has shown more than what Toovey has..[/QUOTE

That's your opinion ...care to elaborate ? Maybe as a charachter I'd rather Toovey over Cleary.. hard nose .. Wasn't scared to drop players for under performing. Maybe I don't know Cleary like you do but I don't think he is best fit to shake up our Current roster my opinion would be he would fall under the doust agenda.

since77

Juniors
But if Darren Lockyer can make it as a commentator, anything is possible.

Yeah, Lockyer was a great player and seems like a decent guy but perfect example of someone who has no business being in front of a TV camera, except that he's a "legend", part of the boys club, and was probably promised a media job years ago. The only top flight ex-players I can think of that have gone on to be reasonably articulate and have something of substance to say are Mark Gasnier, Greg Alexander & Peter Sterling, and surprisingly Gorden Tallis (mostly because he's prepared to call a spade a spade). I can see current guys like Cameron Smith and Cooper Cronk doing a decent job too.

Maybe the example of average players like Bennett & Bellamy becoming great coaches is something that would translate well into the media as well.

BennyV

Referee
Nothing to do with knowing anything about either as a coach, more to do with seeing what is needed to succeed as a coach, and I'm referring only to what each of them has shown.

Not doubting Toovey's ability, but he's a risk. He inherited a premiership winning team and maintained that before starting to slip away at the end (IMO, that team was never going to win the 2013 premiership anyway). Yep, he's hard nosed, not scared to drop players, etc...sounds exactly like the 'straight shooter'-esque character traits that were boasted in our current coach when he was gunning for the job. Those character traits are all well and good when you take over a top squad, but what we have in front of us in a monstrous rebuild, and Toovey just hasn't shown that he can do that.

Compare that with Cleary. He's got a longer and more diverse career, but he's shown that he can take a struggling squad from the bottom to the top, culminating in a grand final with the Warriors. Yeah, he had mixed results, but he faced a lot more challenges than Toovey did with Manly. Then he was pulled to the Panthers, where he took over an absolute rabble of a club, rebuilt them (including bringing through a number of talented youngsters and despite a horror run of injuries) and took them through to within a game of a GF. He was then let go, allegedly because Gould found out he was in discussions with Souths.

I'm not saying Cleary is the messiah or that Toovey is a dud. But if we were going to rely on either of them, Cleary has shown through his career that he is more suitable to take over, considering the position we are in.

Personally, I'd be tapping the hell out of Maguire. The change he drilled into Souths between the 2011 and 2012 season was absolutely astonishing, considering the minimal personnel changes that took place.

SaintHarry

Juniors
Nothing to do with knowing anything about either as a coach, more to do with seeing what is needed to succeed as a coach, and I'm referring only to what each of them has shown.

Not doubting Toovey's ability, but he's a risk. He inherited a premiership winning team and maintained that before starting to slip away at the end (IMO, that team was never going to win the 2013 premiership anyway). Yep, he's hard nosed, not scared to drop players, etc...sounds exactly like the 'straight shooter'-esque character traits that were boasted in our current coach when he was gunning for the job. Those character traits are all well and good when you take over a top squad, but what we have in front of us in a monstrous rebuild, and Toovey just hasn't shown that he can do that.

Compare that with Cleary. He's got a longer and more diverse career, but he's shown that he can take a struggling squad from the bottom to the top, culminating in a grand final with the Warriors. Yeah, he had mixed results, but he faced a lot more challenges than Toovey did with Manly. Then he was pulled to the Panthers, where he took over an absolute rabble of a club, rebuilt them (including bringing through a number of talented youngsters and despite a horror run of injuries) and took them through to within a game of a GF. He was then let go, allegedly because Gould found out he was in discussions with Souths.

I'm not saying Cleary is the messiah or that Toovey is a dud. But if we were going to rely on either of them, Cleary has shown through his career that he is more suitable to take over, considering the position we are in.

Personally, I'd be tapping the hell out of Maguire. The change he drilled into Souths between the 2011 and 2012 season was absolutely astonishing, considering the minimal personnel changes that took place.

Fingers crossed its madge that being the case Cleary would look to take his spot is allegations are correct

since77

Juniors
I'd take Cleary over Toovey since Cleary has found success at two different clubs.

What success? Losing 2 grand finals coaching teams with consistent year to year patterns of wildly erratic form? Cleary is a dud. Better than Mc Gregor, but still a dud. There has to better options than Cleary.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I would be going hard at Brad Arthur. The way he rebuilt the Eels and held them together through everything this year is nothing short of remarkable. This is the kind of guy we need.

He turned Cairns Brothers into an absolute powerhouse in one of the strongest competitions in the country, served an apprenticeship under Bellamy and has runs on the board when it comes to luring star players and rebuilding a club.

He's THE coach we need.

Old Timer

Coach
Brad Arthur's 2nd to none as a choice of coach.

I would even go so far as yo say that we should secure him before any external recruitment is done as he is a great judge of cattle and he will know first hand how to avoid the damaged goods on offer.

If we have tho wait 1 year to get him that would work out well as lot's of players off contract at the end of 2017 and Mary would have expired 1 more year of his contract so a much cheaper payout.

If that was the plan absolutely necessary to secure the highest quality juniors on 2 year contracts but that being said we will never do that with the donkeys we have making critical decisions.

BennyV

Referee
I don't think Arthur will leave Parramatta. Was quoted in an article a few months back about how much he loves that club, grew up supporting them and coaching them is a dream come true.

Admittedly, that was before the world fell apart at that club, but still - I struggle to see how we could afford to lure him away from them.

TruSaint

Referee
I don't think Arthur will leave Parramatta. Was quoted in an article a few months back about how much he loves that club, grew up supporting them and coaching them is a dream come true.

Admittedly, that was before the world fell apart at that club, but still - I struggle to see how we could afford to lure him away from them.

As of last week have heard he is livid and at breaking point. Who would blame him.

They will obviously try and retain his services, but I think he is a strong chance of leaving.

BennyV

Referee
As of last week have heard he is livid and at breaking point. Who would blame him.

They will obviously try and retain his services, but I think he is a strong chance of leaving.
Interesting.

I remember in 2011 when there was slight rumours of unrest at Manly between the board and the coach. As much as I despite Greenburg, he capitalised on that like a complete pro, fed the unrest and ended up with one of the most successful coaches of the previous 5 years going to Dogs a week after winning a premiership!

I find it hard to believe our club would have the foresight, audacity or competency to make the decision to terminate McGregor and do what it takes to bring a successful coach like Arthur on board. Sucks.

TruSaint

Referee
Interesting.

I remember in 2011 when there was slight rumours of unrest at Manly between the board and the coach. As much as I despite Greenburg, he capitalised on that like a complete pro, fed the unrest and ended up with one of the most successful coaches of the previous 5 years going to Dogs a week after winning a premiership!

I find it hard to believe our club would have the foresight, audacity or competency to make the decision to terminate McGregor and do what it takes to bring a successful coach like Arthur on board. Sucks.

Didnt say we would secure him mate... and i dont think we will. Unfortunately. Just saying he is at his wits end plugging crap all day, every day.
From a source close to Parra, " he wants out".
I think Mary's time with us is overdue, but I also think we are not in a position to secure Arthur.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I would be going hard at Brad Arthur. The way he rebuilt the Eels and held them together through everything this year is nothing short of remarkable. This is the kind of guy we need.

He turned Cairns Brothers into an absolute powerhouse in one of the strongest competitions in the country, served an apprenticeship under Bellamy and has runs on the board when it comes to luring star players and rebuilding a club.

He's THE coach we need.
100% agree on Brad Arthur he should be the number 1 target coach. Unfortunately I read somewhere that the Warriors have him well and truly in their sights for 2017 and I feel the wheels maybe in motion with a big offer to attract him to NZ.
As usual the Dragons are never proactive and will probably miss out again unless they make an offer that he can't resist. Perhaps an Arthur and Norman package in exchange for Mary and Benji.

BennyV

Referee
Didnt say we would secure him mate... and i dont think we will. Unfortunately. Just saying he is at his wits end plugging crap all day, every day.
From a source close to Parra, " he wants out".
I think Mary's time with us is overdue, but I also think we are not in a position to secure Arthur.
OH I fully get what you are saying.

What I'm saying is that if our management were the slightest bit competent, they'd be making enquirers with Arthur, even getting in his ear and really selling the opportunity he could have at our club - plenty of raw talent, been underachieving for years, good juniors on the up, etc - in an attempt to get him here.

Rather, I see nothing to suggest that they are unhappy with Mary's performance as coach.

Gareth67

First Grade
Our 2016 seasons fate will be known in the next few weeks , now made even harder with the injury to Josh Dugan . The St.George Illawarra board MUST make some hard decisions at the end of that period . From replacing our current coach ( who unfortunately just does not have the all round skills that would bring success at the top level ) to the recruitment of 3 - 4 key players who could bring both experience and confidence to our team . There is more that the club itself requires , but money itself can not buy it . And that is ( what has been suggested by other members of this forum ) a complete clean-out of the current board ! These men need to face up to the cold hard facts , that they have failed the fans , members , the team and our once great club . They need to do what is right - they need to fall on their swords . We do not want a repeat of seasons 13 ,14 , 15 and .......?