What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Bench
Anyone else cringe and feel very sad as jack bird is all over the telegraph today talking sharks captaincy and his personal goal set.

Our management are a disgrace to let such an amazing talent go.

Well done droust and mcdrunkard - old frank facer has turned in his grave at what you have done to our club.

One word

Disgusting.
Let's hope saints have learnt from that we have some special players that will be in first grade in the not t to distant future, better not screw tst up

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Lets move on from Bird.It is all over and done with.Won't be the first or last of any club losing a good player.

Geez FD that post sounds like the current dragons culture. Have you been rewatching McGr press conferences in the off season?

It's all good no problem happens to every club.

Well I call B$llshi$

Clubs that are successful don't let their juniors leave very often - sure it happens to some clubs when they are successful and can't hold all players, esp after a GF WIN e.g. NQ

But we are in the cellar and signing rejects that nobody else wants.

I'm sick of this passive and excuse driven attitude to the disgusting culture pervading our club.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Geez FD that post sounds like the current dragons culture. Have you been rewatching McGr press conferences in the off season?

Well I call B$llshi$

Clubs that are successful don't let their juniors leave very often - sure it happens to some clubs when they are successful and can't hold all players, esp after a GF WIN e.g. NQ

I'm sick of this passive and excuse driven attitude to the disgusting culture pervading our club.
Lets move on from Bird.It is all over and done with.Won't be the first or last of any club losing a good player.

Crescent dragon

Juniors
Agree Forster Dragon. Call me what you like but really, besides Bird and perhaps Merrin, which local juniors have we lost in the last 20 years that have gone on to massive things.
The administration of this club have been appalling, as the recent coaching has, so we've been fairly lucky
I see us now as in the late 90s early 2000s, just need the coaching right, not much to ask ah!

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
You could fill a book with players our club have let go who went on to shine at their new club while we bumbled along and kept fringe reggies and bought leftover trash.

Some of that is definitely the coaches and their inept lack of ability to both identify the talent and also a profound inability to develop our players but it is also club and administrators.

I just hate "excuse" culture.

Reactions: Qdf

Old Timer

Coach
Agree Forster Dragon. Call me what you like but really, besides Bird and perhaps Merrin, which local juniors have we lost in the last 20 years that have gone on to massive things.
The administration of this club have been appalling, as the recent coaching has, so we've been fairly lucky
I see us now as in the late 90s early 2000s, just need the coaching right, not much to ask ah!

Josh Morris, Joey Leilua, Beau Scott, Kane Linnet would have all been handy if they had of stayed in Dragons jumpers.

BennyV

Referee
Josh Morris, Joey Leilua, Beau Scott, Kane Linnet would have all been handy if they had of stayed in Dragons jumpers.
We were never going to be able to hold on to JMoz or Leilua. We got some pretty decent use out of Beau Scott. And I'm not losing any sleep over Kane Linnet, he's solid at best.

The one that burns me (as far as outside backs go) is Dean Whare. Graduated NYC in 2010, and considering that Gaz hadn't re-signed at the point that he left, losing him was a big mistake.

The other big one is the Stewart brothers - again, complete stuff up based on stupidity and underestimating the value of players.

Old Timer

Coach
Benny V
The point I was quickly making was that there is a long list of players we failed to or wouldn't keep that went through our junior ranks.
Morris was caught up in the whole Gasnier fiasco and underestimated by Bennett.
Leilua was a bit of wild thing but Bennett again was driven by immediate outcome and waisted little time on him despite his potential.
Scott had been our junior, showing great potential but we had to let him go to the Sharks for 2 years and then pay overs to get him back.
Linnett I agree is solid but would have made 1st grade for us week in week out and a far better option than most of the journeymen we have been buying.
I had forgotten about the Stewart brothers and Whare you just have to question who was asleep at the wheel when that happened.

BennyV

Referee
The Stewart brothers why even mention them.

Futlon was the one who convinced them to join Manly all those years ago.
They were lost to us because some at the club so didn't rate Glenn, and Brett wanted to stay with his brother. That's the same Glenn who won the Clive Churchill medal btw.

Suffice it to say that problems recognising and retaining our best juniors isn't a new thing restricted only to Bird.

They were lost to us because some at the club so didn't rate Glenn, and Brett wanted to stay with his brother. That's the same Glenn who won the Clive Churchill medal btw.

Suffice it to say that problems recognising and retaining our best juniors isn't a new thing restricted only to Bird.

Or to our club

Qdf

Juniors
The Stewart brothers why even mention them.

Futlon was the one who convinced them to join Manly all those years ago.
It's quite simple really, our club is being run by a coaching and management team that hasn't a clue. The only way to rid ourselves of this toxic crew is to pray for a takeover. Then hopefully they'll be swept out the door and into garbage. Exactly the place they belong.

The issue started with Fitzgibbon and Patten both being told your not wanted and funny enough that was when the clubs merged ironic really.

Before that a few Illawarra juniors left the area but not like they do now and you certainly can point the finger at the people running the club.

I am not saying if they didn't merge players who have stayed but its an interesting question.

Reactions: Qdf

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Well I call B$llshi$

The Cowboys, as you indicated, have completely nullified your argument regarding juniors. Gallen was an Eels junior, Taylor a Bronco, Thurston a Bulldog...the list goes on and will continue to do so.

The Cowboys, as you indicated, have completely nullified your argument regarding juniors. Gallen was an Eels junior, Taylor a Bronco, Thurston a Bulldog...the list goes on and will continue to do so.

It's one thing to lose a junior when the subject club has a star studded line up at the time, and another thing altogether for us to lose juniors because of mismanagement.

Straight Shooter

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Club has had little acumen since 1999. Bennett was a blow in blow out job apart from one premiership. The last six years have been atrocious and
reek of total incompetence!

hazzbeen

Bench
The Club has had little acumen since 1999. Bennett was a blow in blow out job apart from one premiership. The last six years have been atrocious and
reek of total incompetence!
All it did was shut up the fans for a while , and gave Doust and the board a few more Twilight years untill they walk off into the sunset .......

Old Timer

Coach
Imbecilic post
What other clubs do is no justification for what we do
The clubs you have mentioned all remained highly competitive despite the loss of quality players
The simple fact is we are not competitive and have been that way for some time so your comparison is not relevant
We lose good homegrown players when we have poor rosters and buy shit to fill the holes
When we have a good roster we never determine properly who to keep and who to let go and it bites on the arse