What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack soward

saint.nick

Coach
Just because we want to criticise him, it doesn't mean we're putting all the blame on him! His incompetence just shined above the rest today. People may be defending him from any criticism, and trying to deflect it to fien, but fien is not a half, whereas soward is! Unless he involves himself more in the opposition defending line, he won't be a consistent game changer. I feel like people are defending soward because of what he did in 2010, whether they are consciously or sub-consciously aware of this.

Last edited:

Dockets

Juniors
We can't put a loss down to a single performance, it's a team game they should share the victory as well as the loss. It's easy to sit back and point fingers. There is room for improvement across the park not just the player with the number 6 on his back. If he wasn't leaving I'm not sure there'd be so many people willing to stab the man we used to claim walks on water in the back.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
Just because we want to criticise him, it doesn't mean we're putting all the blame on him! His incompetence just shined above the rest today. People may be defending him from any criticism, and trying to deflect it to fien, but fien is not a half, whereas soward is! Unless he involves himself more in the opposition defending line, he won't be a consistent game changer. I feel like people are defending soward because of what he did in 2010, whether they are consciously or sub-consciously aware of this.

100% agree with this

dragoncountry

Juniors
Soward is on scapegoat rotation, along with Prior, Chase, and Rein. Nice post, too many fans are quick to stick the knife in. Our inability to slow down the ruck is what cost us the game.
soward is a scapegoat for very good reason, he gets paid to set our plays in motion on the back of our go forward. something that if im a panthers supporter id be very worried about.
we are the worst or second worst attacking team in the comp, I think that says it all.

redwhitedragon

Juniors
Hopefully the broom will be going through them soon enough, not just stopping at Soward. Anyone see that pass he gave in the first half cant remember who and basically the titan player was waiting to smash him from behind. Anyone seen Price presser yet? Another cut and paste job no doubt.

64 Dragon

Coach
Too many hospital passes and too many penalties. Soward is not too blame. We let the Titans make too many metres from dummy half. When a hooker gets MOM that makes it obvious.

dragonv

Juniors
if you are going to be pointing the finger at one individual well im sorry but it has to be steve price. This team looks poorly coached and there is absolutely no discipline and no confidence.

Today we allowed penalty after penalty and watched dropped ball after dropped ball. What will Price do to address this? History tells us he will do nothing.

Last year it was Souths and Penrith who won narrow games we should have won. The last two weeks have been no different and top 8 hopes go out the window for now.

Last edited:
Soward will finish his career as an average first grade footballer who had a few good years between 09-11. Well done, good luck at the Panthers...The End!

dragonsman4eva

Juniors
Ozbuck, I agree 100%. I will admit jamie has been off this year but he did some good things today such as the pass for Quinlan, 40/20, set up nightys try. I thought we looked so much better with cam king on the field. I wouldn't re sign rein if he wants more than 250,000 a year. Poor service out of dummy half and too slow.

Today's loss was soured by the refs performance, how wasn't Taylor offside from the intercept, and a 12-6 penalty count, wtf, we couldn't get a go.

I am pleased with the effort, the boys are not giving up, the wins will come.

I wouldn't re sign rein if he wants more than 250,000 a year. Poor service out of dummy half and too slow.

Agree 100%

I have never been a big fan of this guy. He tries hard but it takes more than effort to win a premiership. We need to fill the team with talent. He is only young but his lack of athleticism makes him look like an old man in the twilight of his career. He hunches over at the play-the-ball and wobbles around throwing forward pass after forward pass.

saint.nick

Coach
Agree with DragonV. The penalty and error count was atrocious. I'd just like to point out that Soward is not to blame for this.

possm

Coach
Team selection, game plan and player preperation would have more to do with todays result.

Left side backline: Soward, Prior and Vidot. What coach in his right mind would come up with that combination. I would have selected:
1. Dugan
2. Quinlan
4. Green

Soward to stand 3 and a little deeper on the right side of play with protection from Frizell. Fein to the left side with Creagh. We all know Soward's weaknesses and we know he thrives on confidences.

The buck stops with the coach and the loss could have been avoided.

Last edited:

ozbuck

Juniors
if you are going to be pointing the finger at one individual well im sorry but it has to be steve price. This team looks poorly coached and there is absolutely no discipline and no confidence.

Today we allowed penalty after penalty and watched dropped ball after dropped ball. What will Price do to address this? History tells us he will do nothing.

Last year it was Souths and Penrith who won narrow games we should have won. The last two weeks have been no different and top 8 hopes go out the window for now.

We have fantastic completion rates in our first 4-5 rounds. I bet you didn't give Price a ounce of credit for that.

It would think it would be f**kin pretty hard to coach 'hold the ball' and 'stop giving penalties away'. It isn't the same as coaching set plays and game plans. That sort of stuff is PLAYERS RESPONSIBILITY. They've been playing for long enough to know how to hold on to a ball - they showed it in the first few rounds how good they can do it. Sometimes the opposition just CAUSE dropped balls by their aggressive play and hits - this happened many times today.

Same with penalities - players need to take responsibility!

Newcastle was leading 14-0 today and got thrashed in the end scoring no points.

SACK BENNETT! HE IS S**T!!!

WAKE UP! Our players just aren't up to the pace this year to be a strong consistent force. We show good moment and glimpses no doubt. We had it in 2009-2011. Roosters and Souths have it this year. GET OVER IT and realize that it is just a CYCLE of power shifting in the competition. Its natural and I feel we'll be a top 5 team next year.

Dude, it's ok!

Zoom out and see the big picture.

The Assman

Juniors
I thought he played well to be honest, as people have mentioned he had a hand in our first try, got us back into the game with the 40/20. Yes he isnt having his greatest season but he is getting a lot of unfair criticism in my opinion

saintsarah

Juniors
Sack Soward HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Another loss and everyone attacks one player!

Get f**ked!!

Please don't tell me Soward doesn't give a shit anymore. He is passionate as hell when we score, argues penalties like crazy, and is giving his all. His conversion confidence is down, no doubt.

Holding up the ball nicely for Quinlan to get on the outside of Inglis for the first try, the 40-20, his kick which was well placed for the nightingale try, etc.

But all of this is DELETED when you wanna make someone a scapegoat.

Plenty of players out there dropped plenty of cheap ball and there were tonnes of stupid penalties in the GC half - this is what kills any chance of winning.

The Gold Coast were more physical in the 2nd half! The ran over us. They scored some cheap tries from our weak on line defence - I guess this is ONE PLAYERS fault: Soward.

F**king wake up. We have a team right now that is a 50/50 chance of winning close games. We're not that f**king good this year due to our playing roster.

Get used to it for the rest of the year! We MIGHT scrape into the top 8, but probably not.

Stop trying to refine a lot of problems down to one source (soward).
Yes i really thought Soward did try today, he's just in form, but as they say you are only as good as the players around you. Yes, his kicking is off, but at least he acknowledged that and gave Stanley a chance to kick. I thought his decision to throw it out to Vidots wing in the last few minutes, rather than trying to even it up with a field goal was poor...but like you said, we can't just blame him.
i was frustrated with all the drop ball from the forwards.

I also thought the commentators were biased on their call. They focused too much on the Zilman try that was disallowed, but then the ball wouldn't have even been down that end of the field if David Taylor had been called offside when he was clearly offside!..we get a penalty down there, and close to the line too, could have been a different story!