What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack soward

gypsy

Bench
The plan to bomb Vidot worked, as it usually does.
Soward was ok today. We lack aggression across the park, someone to lift the side with a big hit or run.
Looked sharper with King at dummy half. Quinlan faded out of the game for too long, looked dangerous on most touches though.

It seems the boys are resigned to scoring less than 20 points a game. Our defence was good, but the best form of defence is attack and we throw nothing at oppositions.

ellskimore

Juniors
sack soward hahahahahahaha!!!!

Another loss and everyone attacks one player!

Get f**ked!!

Please don't tell me soward doesn't give a shit anymore. He is passionate as hell when we score, argues penalties like crazy, and is giving his all. His conversion confidence is down, no doubt.

Holding up the ball nicely for quinlan to get on the outside of inglis for the first try, the 40-20, his kick which was well placed for the nightingale try, etc.

But all of this is deleted when you wanna make someone a scapegoat.

Plenty of players out there dropped plenty of cheap ball and there were tonnes of stupid penalties in the gc half - this is what kills any chance of winning.

The gold coast were more physical in the 2nd half! The ran over us. They scored some cheap tries from our weak on line defence - i guess this is one players fault: Soward.

F**king wake up. We have a team right now that is a 50/50 chance of winning close games. We're not that f**king good this year due to our playing roster.

Get used to it for the rest of the year! We might scrape into the top 8, but probably not.

Stop trying to refine a lot of problems down to one source (soward).

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I think laying all the blame at the feet of Soward is a bit harsh. Having said that I am at a loss as to why Steve Price does not start with another halfback. We are probably unlikely to make the top 8 this year but Price can lay some good foundations for next year. My issues yesterday were (1) Why wasn't Junior Vai Vai given a run in the centers? Matt Prior is having a decent go this year but he is a bench rotation forward! (2) We need a number 7 who will go to the line and poor old Nathan Fien isn't going to do that. I am not opposed to trying Quinlan at No 7; after all Benny Hornby was turned from a FB to an international HB in 3 years. (3) If Soward will not run the ball and given that he will not be around next year try Ryan or Kennedy at No 6. Now for some positives please. Young Stockwell is going to be a real ripper. So is Frizzell. We just need to get through the year but given that the pressure is off Price he should start to experiment around the No 6 and No 7.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought he was blowing up at rein because he didn't put the pass on his chest
No, he was yelling at the ref. Titans players offside. Ref threatened to send him off, after fulltime (go figure).

Refereeing was atrocious throughout. Very skinny 10 all day.

ozbuck

Juniors
And I'll tell you something else, I've never seen Soward as a individual game-breaker.

Yes, I remember him slicing through opposition defences and carving it up in 2010, and 2011 when he played origin.

But I see Jamie as one of those players who needs DOMINANT forwards and game breakers around him - it is from there that he is able to orchestrate much much better.

At the moment we just don't have that. Our forwards are getting out muscled and the Gasniers, Boyds, a more dangerous Cooper, etc just aren't there anymore. In contrast we just throw it out in the centres to Matt Prior to do a little shimmy then step inside and take the tackle - defences aren't sweating at all and as a consequence Sowie can't play on that dominance and roll on.

Teams aren't fearing our dominance in the forwards or our danger from having potential game breakers.

We'll get one back with Dugan but the forwards have gotta carry their weight, and they simply aren't this year.

Benji is in the same position at the Tigers. He is a gamebreaker when he has other dangerous players around him in terms of aggression and the ability to break the line. At the moment he hasn't and look what is happening - he is 'down on confidence'. No he isn't just down on confidence he just doesn't have the cattle to orchestrate well.

FundyDragon

Bench
Soward Blow up, was related to Titans players being offside. If we got nearly almost in front, get 2 points, we win.....

These dumb ass refs would never give a penalty out for that in the last minute. I can't believe these refs are full time professionals. I see better at local club games.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
Having grown up in SE Qld before the Donkeys came along we've always had a big Red V supporter base in Qld. Most of whom were like me and had no interest in the Broncos and Bernie Power. Crowds were always bigger for Dragon's matches against Brisbane and the various Gold Coast teams. The nearly 60k for a regular season match we won against Brisbane in '93 was amazing.

As for our halves I think Soward is missing but he is only part of the problem. I go to a lot of Raiders matches and it is like chalk and cheese with halves between the two teams. Even with decent players like Campese/McCrone/Williams they are still able to blood new halves like young kid Tony Milford who made his first grade debut 3 weeks ago and is gradually being introduced to the big time after moving up from SG Ball last year. Sure they are blessed with good halves (Cornish in the NYC is a star too) but they aren't afraid to experiment even with a bunch of naturally talented players.

So I see no reason why we don't give Josh Drinkwater similar game time. We have nothing to lose and given we are in a rebuilding phase there is no point waiting till Widdop gets here.

silverex

Bench
After the Manly game I'd have supported a 'sack Soward' call. I thought he'd already left for Penrith.

But what changed my mind yesterday was his reaction at full time complaining to the refs about the Titans being offside. A guy who doesn't have his heart in it would not have been bothered.

However, in saying that, Sowie, please do some intense practise with the goal kicking this week. If you'd been on song the last 2 results would have been victories. We don't want the same thing to happen against the Eels.

Mr Red

First Grade
I think laying all the blame at the feet of Soward is a bit harsh. Having said that I am at a loss as to why Steve Price does not start with another halfback. We are probably unlikely to make the top 8 this year but Price can lay some good foundations for next year. My issues yesterday were (1) Why wasn't Junior Vai Vai given a run in the centers? Matt Prior is having a decent go this year but he is a bench rotation forward! (2) We need a number 7 who will go to the line and poor old Nathan Fien isn't going to do that. I am not opposed to trying Quinlan at No 7; after all Benny Hornby was turned from a FB to an international HB in 3 years. (3) If Soward will not run the ball and given that he will not be around next year try Ryan or Kennedy at No 6. Now for some positives please. Young Stockwell is going to be a real ripper. So is Frizzell. We just need to get through the year but given that the pressure is off Price he should start to experiment around the No 6 and No 7.

good post. i agree with most points..
Price MUST show something more positive in team selections.. we are one more loss from the bottom of the ladder. trotting out the same rubbish team each week is just making Price look foolish.
the finals are gone this year, Soward is gone next year, Fien not up to it this year... Stanley is not a first grader, time to plan for next season and see what positives we can take from the season and move forward with for next season...

jenninga

First Grade
He still showed a bit of heart when he blew up at the end of the game.

Mind you, I was also pretty annoyed at the 3 Titan markers who went for the charge down... Usually a penalty I thought.
Should have been a penalty right in front. 3 fu**in markers,2 who were not square and offside.

Dragons_Head

Juniors
i dont understand how we can keep sending stanley out each week, he is meant to strengthen us defensively but our right edge is the problem week in week out. fien frizell and stanley are producing some terrible reads in defence. he offers nothing in attack either. i'd rather see vidot in the centres and quinlan on the wing, dugan at fullback

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'd like to welcome all the new members to the forum, and to this thread.

The Preacher

First Grade
They shouild piss this "pea-heart" off to Penrith NOW !!!

Let Uncle Gus put up with these gutless efforts.

It's sad to see a bloke with so much talent unable to match it with "ticker".

Lovemedragons

Juniors

x2 It sad to see he has dropped off since signing to leave us. Sad to see him do anything BUT run the ball. And his defence has been feeble the last 3 weeks. Still he did help us to win in 2010 so he will always be ok by me.

ozbuck

Juniors
Sad to see him do anything BUT run the ball. .

You know what?! He HARDLY ever ran the ball to the line even with our premiership team a few years back!! Really, he usually only runs to the line when a fair sized hole opens up and he think he might be able to get through.

Apart from that context, TAKING ON THE DEFENCE LINE ON IS NOT HIS STYLE - NEVER HAS BEEN! But no one was calling him useless when he was doing exactly the same thing a few years ago while we were busy winning a premiership.

Why is everyone so surprised and shocked that he isnt taking the line on!

Jamie is only as good as the players around him! Sad to say it but its true. At the moment our forwards are average and dont strike fear into any team. Our outside backs have luckluster except for Bmoz.

good post. i agree with most points..
Price MUST show something more positive in team selections.. we are one more loss from the bottom of the ladder. trotting out the same rubbish team each week is just making Price look foolish.
the finals are gone this year, Soward is gone next year, Fien not up to it this year... Stanley is not a first grader, time to plan for next season and see what positives we can take from the season and move forward with for next season...

100% correct.

No-one will begrudge Steve Price for experimenting - and lots of it. The current situation of injuries, new comers and leavers - it couldn't be more appropriate.

By all means question his effectiveness and his usefulness on the field. On that point Jamie Soward's style of game i.e. not running himself to the line, avoiding being tackled, was just well managed by the previous coach's game-plan; as his defensive shortcomings were covered by other defenders around him - mostly Cooper. It worked!

He did win us sooo many games with his kicking alone, and had the best cut out pass in the game and his positional play in gathering a loose ball was brilliant.

I think his best is behind him. And he no longer is a match at Dragons.

He will ALWAYS love the Dragons, as I think even he knows he will probably not ever win another premiership with another club.

Peaheart ? - No. Not fair to the man.

Must naturally be hard to stay focussed when you effectively have already been sacked!

Latest posts