What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack soward

saint.nick

Coach
Soward did play well. He would still however be a much better player if he got closer to the line. Any good five eighth can you use kicks to compensate for passing and set up tries. If he takes the line on full heartedly, he would be a far better player than Benji Marshall. When he does take the line on usually, it looks like he's done it as a last resort, and then seems to splutter about it and easily get tackled by defenders. We know what he can do when he does it full heartedly, like against Queensland for example. Kieran Foran is a great exponent of this. I'm not asking him to be exactly like Foran, but just take a leaf out of his book.

watatank

Coach
He is what he is, he plays pretty much the same way win or lose and that's not going to change. Difference in perceptions tend to come down to the quality of players around him.

Vidot's first try off the Soward pass would never happen against a decent opposition defence. The second Vidot try was all Vidot. Soward put a nice kick in for the Dugan try and that was about it. Yes, he had a decent game, but he will not produce that type of performance week in, week out, not to mention against quality opposition. He is a still a dud.

TheRev

Coach
He is what he is, he plays pretty much the same way win or lose and that's not going to change. Difference in perceptions tend to come down to the quality of players around him.
It is true in a way, hes not a typical 5/8 and we really should just accept that, but Soward has changed his game.. he did make regular line breaks at his peak.. because he challenged the line at pace.

Definitely interesting to watch him in space last week with Dugen the destroyer creating opportunities, given more time we might see him encouraged to run again.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
It is true in a way, hes not a typical 5/8 and we really should just accept that, but Soward has changed his game.. he did make regular line breaks at his peak.. because he challenged the line at pace.

Definitely interesting to watch him in space last week with Dugen the destroyer creating opportunities, given more time we might see him encouraged to run again.

We also had dangerous guys around him in both the forward pack and the backline, that held defences up and provided that space.

He really isn't doing anything differently, the opposition just see less attacking options and it ensures that our go to guys are heavily marked. Dugan will make a huge difference in this regard.

BennyV

Referee
Up until last week, the opposition see Soward catch the ball and immediately slide to the next player because they know there is no threat of him stepping and going through. Dugan changed that slightly because they had to be on the lookout for him. 2-3 years ago, if they took their eyes off Soward he was gone! That's the difference. Methinks he'd be better playing in the 7 - organising the team and distributing the ball. I'd say that's what Gus has in mind for him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought last week's success out wide had more to do with Soward's long cut out passes, and that Vidot's opposite was about half his size.

Not taking anything away from Soward. Some of those passes were magic.

ozbuck

Juniors
Saw the Storm game last night - Widdop was as quiet as anything and didn't do much at all.

Sack him!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Soward looks good against Parra every year as well as other struggling teams. Its; how good he goes against the stronger teams.

Widdop is a gamble but at least he takes on the line and is not afraid to get tackled.

Mr Red

First Grade
Soward looks good against Parra every year as well as other struggling teams. Its; how good he goes against the stronger teams.

Widdop is a gamble but at least he takes on the line and is not afraid to get tackled.

i dont see widdop as a gamble as long as he is paired with the right half..

Stanley/Widdop = FAIL
Chase/Widdop would have been a success.

BennyV

Referee
i dont see widdop as a gamble as long as he is paired with the right half..

Stanley/Widdop = FAIL
Chase/Widdop would have been a success.

I thought the same about Stanley/Widdop...but Widdop in 7 and Stanley in 6 has potential, I'd say Widdop is busting to start controlling his team after playing second fiddle to Cronk and Smith...

j0nesy

Bench
A bit of respect. He has done a lot for the club, and played a huge part in our premiership. I dont think he'll give up this season, which is more than I can say for some supporters.

redandwhite1

Juniors
A bit of respect. He has done a lot for the club, and played a huge part in our premiership. I dont think he'll give up this season, which is more than I can say for some supporters.

Exactly best comment on the thread, bit of perspective. Widdop isn't the answer to all of our problems. Thanks jonesy for restoring my faith, I was starting to think all the bloggers are back biting whingers, who probably never passed a ball.

dragonrickjs

Juniors
I was starting to think all the bloggers are back biting whingers, who probably never passed a ball.[/QUOTE]

Forums and blogs are a away for fans/people to express there opinion. That does NOT make anyone on here a back biting whinger. It purely their opinion which everyone is entitled too.

Latest posts