What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack the G.G.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
midas: "appointing a religious leader of any denomination would be stupid.(except JC himself,of course,who would have been my choice)"
I'm sure El Duque would have view on putting deceased Jews into a place of importance. He may have the best man for the job but last I heard, he was bit of a wino.

I think the best GovGeneral would be AliG.

Following a meeting between the PM and GG it has been announced the the GG has sacked the PM for demonstrating judgement unbecoming of a PM for appointing the GG in the first place.
As a result of dinner the other evening with the seven high court judges it was determined that the GG had the constitutional authority to take this course of action.
In a move away from accepted protocols, however, it was decided that the GG could appoint a new PM (an independent if you like).In a move that may cause a ripple of controversy,the GG has appointed one of his favourite victims from recent times.
It has been announced that the temporary PM of the Commonwealth of Australia will be Dolly Dunn.
In a move that will be seen by the minotity of Australians as progressivehis first piece of legislation will be to eradicate any extradition treaties in existence between the Philipines and Australia and Thailand and Australia.
Apparently the GG is onl;y to willing to gazette these bills as it was a behind the scenes tradeoff,along with the burning of some vague report by some religious organisation in some state that may have been called Queensland.
Now that PM Dunn has abolished the states any previous reports tabled in their so called parliaments are now null and void.
GG Hollingworth has stated that these drastic measures were needed to re-establish Australia as the peoples country,as it was in danger of becoming a dictatorship.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
- BREAKING NEWS -
Dr Hollingsworthhas stepped aside pending the court case, but he has not resigned.
PM Howard hasdeclared supportfor the GG

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That was interesting... just listened to whole unedited press conference with PM Howard going into damage control. It was on SKY news.
Towards the end he became agitated and said,

"Look, if you want someone in public office to stand down, all it takes nowadays is make some accusation against them!"

I expect that part of the press conference won't make the 6 o'clock news.

Regrettably, the PM seems to have overlooked GG Hollingworth's track record were he ignored pleas from those seeking protection and even said that one young girl led the Priest on. Additionally, the GG was forced to resign from his position as the patron of the 'Kids First Foundation' because the organisation felt that Hollingworth had 'failed in his duty of care' to those children who he claimed to protect.

The PM has completely lost the plot here. If it was just one rape allegation, most fair-minded people would give benefit of the doubt and wait for the investigation. But givenHollingworth's past history of neglect, I think it pretty poor form from Howard to discard victims' concerns so easily.

Moreover, why didnt he step down when the allegations were first raised last December? The matter was supressed and details were only released at the insistence of Labor MP, Lindsay Tanner.

It suggests that the GG and the PM were hoping that the whole thing would just go away. As it turned out, they can't even pull off a decent cover-up.

imported_Docker

Juniors
As I understand it the appointment was made at the behest of Johnnie-boys's old lady who wanted a high Anglican to be GG. It appears that she thought Hollingsworth had a bit of class.

Silly old Johnnie-boy should have realised anyone who showed the down-market appreciation of class to actually marry him would pick a dud.

Which she did.

J

Johnsy

John Howard has known about this rapeallegation since December and he chooses to act now !!

I am amazed that Johnnies spin doctors are busy at work yet again, it is Hollingworths lack of action, lies, and attempts at trying to cover peadophiles actions while he was the arch bishop in Brissy. He knew about these men and yet chose not too act.

How would have Johnnie, Hollingworthor his comrade Abbott acted if it had been their children who had been abused?

Not so understanding I bet. Why are people forgetting the victims here? FU$#ING children, do they have no morals. It shits me to tears.

Johnsy

imported_midas

Juniors
On what,s been revealed over the weekend,the rape case seems to be a bit weak,perhaps even spurious.
This highlights Tanner,s stupidity in raising the issue-if Howard was to punt the GG and then the rape charges fall apart,then Boofhead would be able to claim wrongful dismissal or denial of natural justice or whatever and walk away with a couple of mill in damages.I don,t want my tax dollars going to this cretin.The rape charges have no bearing on this guy,s unsuitability for office,yet they have become the central issue and,if dismissed,could provide justification for keeping the cretin in office.
Before Tanner put his foot in it ,I felt the GG was getting close to pulling the pin,now he,s going to hang about.

B

Bomber

Howard's defence of Hollingworth, saying that he has done nothing wrong during his tenure of the GG, brushing aside anything else he has done in his past, is crap.

Using the same logic, Ivan Milat or Rodney Adler could be governor-general.

imported_midas

Juniors
Bomber
I think Howards point is that if the GG has not done anything wrong while in office,then he has no grounds to punt him.Whether a PM can punt a GG without having comitted an offence while in office,I have no idea.
As I said previously ,I don,t want this jerk getting buckets of taxpayer money for wrongful dismissal.
Interesting that Queen Lizzie has said that she will go along with PM Howards decision,which to me infers that she believes the PM does have the power to punt the GG ,or am I reading too much into it ?

B

Bomber

He has no legal grounds, there is no precedent, I'd agree with that.

There is still a moral obligation, IMO.

Putting on my sensible cap, I think re: Queen Lizzie - she will essentially rubber-stamp whatever JH comes up with.I don't think she gives a fat rat's either way; there is a fine line between being our head of state and being seen to interfere with a foreign country's politics.

Looks like Sir Guy Green could be a goer :)

<span>Sir Guy a respected man</span>
<span>By Carol Altmann</span>
<span>May 12, 2003</span>
<span> TASMANIAN Governor Sir Guy Green was due to retire in October. Instead, he is preparing to take up the nation's highest office.
<table width=200 align=right> <tbody> <tr> <td> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle>
0,3600,254449,00.jpg
</td></tr> <tr> <td align=left>Sir Guy: G-G stand-in
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>As the most senior of the state governors, protocol demands that Sir Guy immediately fill the breach created by the absence of the Governor-General. Sir Guy will be formally known as the administrator of the commonwealth, but will maintain all the powers of office until a replacement is decided. It is a role Sir Guy has already performed at least four times while the Governor-General has been overseas. This time, however, the appointment could be far more permanent, with Sir Guy considered a serious contender to fill the remaining three years of Dr Hollingworth's term if the Governor-General is unable to return. A spokesman for the Governor said yesterday he was unable to comment because the formal process was not complete. Born in Launceston, Sir Guy, 65, is much-loved and widely respected by Tasmanians, who consider him a man of the people. He was educated at the Launceston Church Grammar School and the University of Tasmania, where he graduated with a bachelor of laws with honours in 1960. After being admitted to the bar, Sir Guy practised as a barrister and solicitor in Launceston before being appointed a magistrate in 1971. A meteoric rise up the judicial ladder saw Sir Guy appointed Chief Justice of Tasmania just two years later, making him one of the youngest in Australian history to hold the position. Sir Guy remained Chief Justice for more than 20 years and was one of the nation's longest serving members of the judiciary before being appointed Governor in 1995. He is the first Tasmanian-born governor of the state. Knighted in 1982, Sir Guy served as chancellor of the University of Tasmania from 1985 to 1995. He was made a Companion in the Order of Australia in 1994 for his services to the law, community and education. While performing the official duties of office, Sir Guy has maintained an active interest in philosophy, constitutionalism and the history of ideas, science and technology. He has published a number of articles on a variety of topics and was responsible for the inclusion of the Tasmanian word "tier" - meaning a single mountain - in the Oxford English Dictionary. Sir Guy is known for his research on issues he encounters in his official capacity and has a particular passion for promoting Tasmania and Antarctica to overseas visitors. It is this Tasmanian-ness that draws thousands of people each year to Government House open days, where this year Sir Guy was almost upstaged by a teddy bear he brought to "greet" the children. Married to Lady Rosslyn Green, Sir Guy has four children and nine grandchildren.
<span>The Australian</span>
</span>

Midas,
The PM is as usual misconstruing the facts.The GG has done something wrong whilst in office.
1.He has blamed the victim for being sexually molested.
2.He has given evidence to the church enquiry that has been politely ridiculed as to its propriety, ie, basically he conjured the truth to suit his own purposes.
Neither of these issues benefit the character of a person who is supposed to be the GG.
The rape allegations in themselves are enough for him to be punted.
All this innocent till proven guilty crap is just legalistic mumbo jumbo.(I believe in the principal of it,as previously mentioned),but for Christs sake even for an ex-archbishop come GG, to be accused of rape, by a victim who has suicided, is just so outrageous that as an example for the rest of the country he should have immediately had the decency to stand down.The very fact that Hollingworth did not do this, says as much for his character as anything.
This has all happened whilst he has held office.
The PM is playing games.
Maybe the budget is going to be a shocker.

Bomber,
That fella could indeed be a goer.In fact I would go so far as to say that upon reading your post that Hollingworth is a goner.
I mean how happy is monarchist Howard going to be at having a Knight for the GG.
The other important attribute that he brings to the office is his initials.
The new campaign,
GG for GG.

imported_midas

Juniors
Lord Ted
Can,t agree about the rape allegations.If every public figure when accused of anything,stood aside,we would have turmoil.I know some have done it in the past but not in recent years-look at Michael Kirby,very similar situation.
We do have some sick people in our society,plus some who would do anything for monetary gain or political gain so I wouldn,t like to see public figures standing aside as a matter of course
Can,t argue with the rest of your post,though.

imported_midas

Juniors
The new bloke being a Taswegian should at least be immune from sexual allegations.I mean ,your own rellos wouldn,t dob you in ,would they?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Lord Ted, does that mean Sir Guy will now have the initials GGGG?

midas, I can't agree that the rape allegations are the central issue. If Hollingworth is ever declared innocent, it doesnt change what happened before and the things he said on national TV about kids trying to seduce Priests. Nor does it change the fact that he was asked to stand down as patron of the Kids First Foundation who said that Hollingworth has 'failed in his duty' to look after children.
Loads of people were coming out the woodwork with stories of abuse while Hollingworth was in a position to stop it.

How can PM Howard write them all off when he said, "...if you want someone in public office to stand down, all it takes nowadays is make some accusation against them!" ?

The latest allegation are on the back of all that and people have been calling for his dismissal for some time. The rape accusation is final straw, if you like.

Incredibly, he still thinks he is a chance of bringing dignity to his office because he still hasnt resigned. If the office of GG has ever been disgraced, itis now... he should have bowed out months ago.

imported_midas

Juniors
Sorry,didn,t make myself clear.Obviously the rape allegations are really quite irrelevant as his previous misdeeds are more than enough for him to resign.
But they (the rape allegations) have become the main focus of media attention which is why I believe Lindsay Tanner made a major faux pas (I think that,s French for stuff-up if memory serves)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I thought it was an oriental golfing term. The French stole it.
Ah ok... faux enough. But I reckon Tanner was just doing what shadow ministers do. Heck knows the last time we saw some opposition in this country.

J

Johnsy

The sad sad thing about this is that he has tarnished the GG's office for a long, long time. And the man who appointed him had a chance to cut it off at the toe a long time ago, and as usuall if left it festers.

Johnsy

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The end has finally come for GG Hollingworth who resigned this arvo.

PM Howard was nowhere to be seen but it expected to make some press release tommorrow.

What brought the GG to his knees was his support of a known paedophile.

When defendinga Priest who committed sex abuse against a child, Hollingworth said, 'My information is that it was the other way around...'