What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sad future for the Tigers!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's all great in theory but we have no space.
Lawrence is on big money next year so chance of moving him on is nil and we're stupid to leave 500+ on the bench. Best off bulk him up for backrower duties because he can defend.
It's the only way to get anything productive out of him.

How is it we are so certain that we have no cap space?

Matchball

Bench
How is it we are so certain that we have no cap space?

Just speculation but if going by how everyone's deals are backended. Blair must be on ridiculous money for his last season.
How many Tigers are near the end of their contracts? Lawrence and Blair good for $1 million+ alone.
Galloway would he another and he would be next to zero to being picked up by another club. Maybe sharks.

Tiger05

First Grade
We can not persist with that backrow next year. They offer zero in attack and defence. None of them have any presence whatsoever.

Siro has the most potential to be that barnstorming second rower we need, obviously he isnt showing it yet. However I'd be willing to persisit with him after he's had a whole off season to learn the nuances of the position.

I don't see that backrow as being that bad. I think Blair has had a great year. Thompson has been solid all season and Sironen whilst not being great has showed enough to think he might become a really good player.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
None of them are good defenders.

They will be defending next to Moses & Brooks, who are small & weak in defence. It means we have 2 soft areas either side of the ruck.

And given Lawrence's turn of speed & lateral speed is abysmal, our only cover defenders will be props, Farah or wingers.

Yeah, you can afford to carry one of those three in the 17, but not all 3.

Sironen is worth persevering with, but this offseason he has to come along an immense way as a an out and out backrower.

And when we need a back up five-eighth, he should not be used.

As I've said before, I would have loved to see him at centre this year. it's a good transitional role to ease him into the backrow duties for next season.

But while he has bulked up nicely for a back rower, his lateral speed is almost stationary (which is still faster than Lawrence and Bodene)

Back rowers we could look at for next year (if they are still off contract)
Tim Browne
Tinirau Arona - a good defender
Tom Symonds - a good hard running player with a good offload
Sebastine Ikahihifo
David Gower

Backs we could look at for next year (if they are still off contract)
Dale Copley (can also cover wing and fullback)
Mahe Fonua
Matt Duffie
Tautau Moga

Admittedly there aren't too many decent quality backs available. Even those I picked aren't great.

But they are better than the current depth backs we have.

Definitely need better back rowers.

I'd target Browne or Symonds in the forwards and Copley or Moga at the back. Duffie is quite a good player but can pick up an injury. Imagine how he'd fare with our rehab facilities, he'd go off with a hamstring complaint and end up with end stage stomach cancer.

magpie guy

Juniors
Yeah, you can afford to carry one of those three in the 17, but not all 3.

Sironen is worth persevering with, but this offseason he has to come along an immense way as a an out and out backrower.

And when we need a back up five-eighth, he should not be used.

As I've said before, I would have loved to see him at centre this year. it's a good transitional role to ease him into the backrow duties for next season.

But while he has bulked up nicely for a back rower, his lateral speed is almost stationary (which is still faster than Lawrence and Bodene)

Back rowers we could look at for next year (if they are still off contract)
Tim Browne
Tinirau Arona - a good defender
Tom Symonds - a good hard running player with a good offload
Sebastine Ikahihifo
David Gower

Backs we could look at for next year (if they are still off contract)
Dale Copley (can also cover wing and fullback)
Mahe Fonua
Matt Duffie
Tautau Moga

Admittedly there aren't too many decent quality backs available. Even those I picked aren't great.

But they are better than the current depth backs we have.

Definitely need better back rowers.

I was impressed with Gower's work in the Parra/Bulldogs game before he did his knee. Had an offload, hit hard, ran hard, got through some work.

Lawrence would make a very solid backrower for mine. His front on defence is solid and he can take a solid hit-up at speed. Fitness would be fine for extended minutes if need be and it opens the centre position for someone with strike power.

BrotherJim05

Bench
This season has really highlighted that we need more depth in our back-line. Forwards and Halves we are pretty solid. Probably need some higher quality in our back row but either way, we have depth to cover this.

I know that we are light on centres but Lawrence really needs to move to the back row (as many people have said here).
I reckon Siro should move to the bench and between him and Lawrence rotate on the left edge back row. Bodene can play 80 mins because he is a solid motherf**ka.

If Moltzen decides to retire, surely the cap space between him and Fulton could score us a quality centre. If not, Austin should train at centre, he could kill it there if he trains in the off-season for it day in day out.

My team next year (provided we don't sign anyone):

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Austin
4. Simona
5. Richards
6. Moses (I'm willing to roll the dice)
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Lawrence
12. Bodene
13. Blair

14. Ava
15. Tupau
16. Sue
17. Sironen

Which leaves Halutau, Patterson, Fine, Hitchcox, Gavet as our depth.

Tigerm

First Grade
This season has really highlighted that we need more depth in our back-line. Forwards and Halves we are pretty solid. Probably need some higher quality in our back row but either way, we have depth to cover this.

I know that we are light on centres but Lawrence really needs to move to the back row (as many people have said here).
I reckon Siro should move to the bench and between him and Lawrence rotate on the left edge back row. Bodene can play 80 mins because he is a solid motherf**ka.

If Moltzen decides to retire, surely the cap space between him and Fulton could score us a quality centre. If not, Austin should train at centre, he could kill it there if he trains in the off-season for it day in day out.

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Austin
4. Simona
5. Richards
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Lawrence
12. Bodene
13. Blair

14. Ava
15. Tupau
16. Sue
17. Sironen

Not bad, but I would tap Blair & Galloway on the shoulder (they don't give us anything special) & buy a gun defensive back rower to replace Blair & promote one of the front rowers up.

On the backs, what happened to Sila, the kid who we replaced Koro with?

Tigers Tale

Juniors
On next year, Anasta was on Fox Sport (his new full time employer) last night and he was saying Potter is basically gone for next year. Said it a way that confirms he won't get through all this trouble.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Not bad, but I would tap Blair & Galloway on the shoulder (they don't give us anything special) & buy a gun defensive back rower to replace Blair & promote one of the front rowers up.

Understand what you are saying and in a perfect world I would agree. The problem we have is that nobody will be signed until our coach for next year is confirmed.

Looks like we will have to make do with what we have.

TYGA

Juniors
Lawrence should not be in first grade. Sue starts in front him + he has upside.
Just because Lawrence is on coin does not justify his position this blind loyalty is madness.

DanOz

Juniors
At least the board issues have been sorted - no more in fighting between Balmain and Wests next year.

super_coach

First Grade
At least the board issues have been sorted - no more in fighting between Balmain and Wests next year.

When did they announce the make up of the new board???? I was under the impression they are still trying to find the independents, in particular a female

glockers

Juniors
People have been speaking about our problems in the back row and centres. How is Lovett going in NSW Cup? I assumed we are just not rushing him into top grade and letting him develop.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

1. Tedesco
2. Nofo
3. Austin
4. Simona
5. Richards
7. Brooks
8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Lawrence
12. Bodene
13. Blair

14. Ava
15. Tupau
16. Sue
17. Sironen

Irrespective of whether that 17 start rd 1 for 2015 we can assume they are at the very least all contracted. In fact, Bodene is not contracted as yet but lets assume he re-signs.

You name Patterson Hitchcox and Gavet there but I don't think they are contracted for 2015. Hitchcox was never in the top 25 to my knowledge.

So the following spare players are contracted full time next year:
Akaoula
Fine
Graham
Halatau

There's really only 4 more spots in the full time squad then? Unless I have missed someone?

If there are 4 spots I hope that Mat Lodge takes one of them.

In my view we'd need to sign at least 3 established first graders with 100+ first grade games behind them (and not blokes returning from super league). There's an imbalance towards rookies in the current roster

Last edited:

DanOz

Juniors
When did they announce the make up of the new board???? I was under the impression they are still trying to find the independents, in particular a female

Yes but there is no Wests and Balmain infighting, it will be 2 seats for Wests with 3 independents

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
and after today, we now are the worst defensive side for 2014.

That alone is evidence that our assistant coaches do not have what it takes to be first grade coaches.

Clean them out!

Latest posts