What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints join Roosters....the sanity is starting to prevail

Anonymous

Juniors
Moffo said:
Willow said:
Major difference between the two clubs:
The Dragons chief does not want to see the matter end up in the courts

Probably don't have the money :lol:
lol... no mate. They're tight arses I'll say that. IMO, the Roosters threat is designed to make a point. I don't think they expected it blow up as much as this.

Glenn

First Grade
Hmmmm, quite amusing considering the Rusty Lizards would be one of the clubs to go bye bye without a cap. As for player concessions etc really is a minefield of a un even playing surface. In the case of stronger teams with a high rep count, even more money becomes available, while the poorer clubs dont have that luxury.

Matt23

Staff member
Does this mean Melon will stop referring to the dragons as the "integral scum"?

Chicken_Hunter said:
Renowned League Expert said:
You're missing the point; we don't have to "buy" the Australian team -- we already have most of it, and we'd like to keep it.

And there's nothing fools like you can do about it. :lol:

Now why don't you run along back to your racist handbook that you employ so well at the Four Corners forum, and leave the football talk to those who are best equipped to discuss it?

Oh so you didnt buy the players that the roosters have in the australian team? How many are local juniors? Ricketson lol.. The rest are just players you have bought and not developed at all. Looks to me you arent equipped to discuss football at all as you dont even know ur own team. Even now, the roosters are after trent barrett as he still hasnt re-signed with the dragons. If that is not trying to buy the australian team i dont know what is. You already have fitler wing finch and dorn why the f**k go after baz?

You obviously know nothing about the Roosters. The transit lounge days of the Roosters are over. These are the players that are juniors or that we have developed.

Minichiello-developed
Hegarty-developed
Byrne-local junior
Cross-local junior
Flannery-developed
Crocker-developed
Ricketson-local junior
Shillington-developed
Cusack-developed
Lelea and Lopini Paea-juniors
Also, Fitzgibbon, Wing, Cayless were all bench players or fringe first graders at their other clubs and are now representative players. Where's your proof that we're after Barrett?

red white bluester said:
You obviously know nothing about the Roosters. The transit lounge days of the Roosters are over. These are the players that are juniors or that we have developed.

Minichiello-developed
Hegarty-developed
Byrne-local junior
Cross-local junior
Flannery-developed
Crocker-developed
Ricketson-local junior
Shillington-developed
Cusack-developed
Also, Fitzgibbon, Wing, Cayless were all bench players or fringe first graders at their other clubs and are now representative players. Where's your proof that we're after Barrett?

Where'd you come from? Can't you go back there? Haven't we got enough brain dead Rooster supporters here already?

Another one that wants to claim players that Easts signed in their mid to late teens as Juniors. Sheesh.

I'll go first.. The Paea brothers are not Easts Juniors. They are from Campbelltown.

cheese

Bench
Byrne was a souths junior .........but in fairness, he was pretty much told "you're too small" by them

Everlovin' Antichrist said:
red white bluester said:

Minichiello-developed
Hegarty-developed
Byrne-local junior
Cross-local junior
Flannery-developed
Crocker-developed
Ricketson-local junior
Shillington-developed
Cusack-developed

Where'd you come from? Can't you go back there? Haven't we got enough brain dead Rooster supporters here already?

Another one that wants to claim players that Easts signed in their mid to late teens as Juniors. Sheesh.

I'll go first.. The Paea brothers are not Easts Juniors. They are from Campbelltown.

Aww what's wrong? Trying to use petty insults to justify your argument? I'm not claiming that Flannery, Crocker etc are juniors we DEVELOPED them from an early age. We put them on a scholarship when they were at our feeder club Redcliffe and we are now reaping the rewards. Is that too hard for you to understand?

red white bluester said:
Aww what's wrong? Trying to use petty insults to justify your argument? I'm not claiming that Flannery, Crocker etc are juniors we DEVELOPED them from an early age. We put them on a scholarship when they were at our feeder club Redcliffe and we are now reaping the rewards. Is that too hard for you to understand?

Errr, can I interest you in a frontal lobotomy?

What's an early age?

Why have you put the Paea brothers in as juniors when they're developed players at best.

Why did you come one here all fired up without the facts.

I insulted you with petty insults, because you don't deserve anything better than that.

Anonymous

Juniors
red white bluester said:
Where's your proof that we're after Barrett?
Ask Rooster Cogburn... he reckons he saw Barrett at Easts Leagues having a beer. You guys can't even get your stories straight. :lol:

PINGU

Juniors
Willow said:
Saints have been forced to let a lot of players go in recent years.

Its no secret that St George want concessions for juniors in the salary cap - effectively increasing the cap. Its also obvious that the richer club (including Saints) would benefit from a cap increase.

But to take the League to court over it is unacceptable imo.

Yes St George were forced to let players go. Brisbane, Parramatta, Penrith have been forced to let players go to stay belwo the cap. The Bulldogs would have been as well if not for the players wanting to stick together.

I think we will find several other clubs follow the Dragons in the next week.

While I agree court is unacceptable, if the league does not listen to the clubs and are not willing to offer another plan. The it is the only option.

Anonymous

Juniors
Pingu, it wasnt supposed to an earth shattering statement that Saints have let players go... a number of clubs have gone through that. The point is that Roosters don't want to play by the rules and would rather drag the League through the courts. A cunning plan perhaps? Somehow I don't think so.

So what do you think of the fact that 13 of the 15 Clubs aren't asking for an increase in the cap Pingu?

Who are the other clubs that will put their hands up shortly?

No cap and we lose between 3 and 5 teams within a short period of time. Those losses don't just mean that the clubs are gone it also means that their supporters are alienated and don't come back to follow another team.

The end does not justify the means.

If Easts go to court and win, what will happen in my opinion is that some teams will revert to a Sydney Competition and give the NRL the flick. The Balmains, Wests, Manlys etc will have teams running around worth about the same as the cap for Premier League. Remember that Norths and Newtown are already playing Premier League so their could be 8 - 10 teams in a very short period of time. That competiton will grow in stature as the NRL implodes.

The NRL will die a horrible death in a few short years and the people that wanted the game back to where it was 25 years ago will be laughing. As will AFL and Union.

To destroy the game just to keep some players is an exercise in stupidity.

PINGU

Juniors
Willow, fair enough I respect your views and as I said I don’t want it in court. If both the League and the clubs could come to some kind agreement that benefits both the game and the clubs, then I don’t think this would come to legal action.

Mate it is not just the Roosters, the League is just as much to blame. They showed us last year how they were willing to negotiate with the players union.

Mate it is easy to blame the club, but the league is just as responsible for this.

Seems the league has learnt nothing from the days of the super league war and trying to work with clubs.

Pingu, the Player's Association held a gun to the NRL's head, to give in to their demands would have been criminal given the circumstances.

I just hope that Uncle Nick is as good a bluffing as Tony Butterfield is.

2003 was a great year for Rugby League, but according to the people "who know" the NRL are doing everything wrong?

PINGU

Juniors
No not wrong and to be honest we as fans do not know all the going on's between the League and the players union.

As I said both parties need to get together and work towards something that helps the game and also helps the clubs.

The League as PP pointed out has not had a great record in working together with clubs in the past.

Anonymous

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
Willow, what do you suggest that the Roosters do to lift the Cap? Asking nicely hasn't worked in the past.

At this point in time, I believe in the salary cap is essential. Sure, it needs some fine tuning... there have been ridiculous situations where long term players are forced to retire or juniors are lost. There also needs to be some concession for injuries (the historical cornerstone of RL) so all players get a chance to play. There have been instances when players from lower grades have missed out on a chance to play first grade because they are not in the salary capped squad. Instead, a player of lesser quality or carrying injuries is selected. These are recognised faults with the salary cap.

But while it needs some reform, a simple raising of the cap would have some devastating effects on poorer clubs... some clubs are quite close to insolvency and the pokie tax (a forgotten element in all this) isnt helping matters.

We can't expect player's managers to do anything other than to exploit the situation and the end result would be poorer clubs going further into debt or simply dipping out of the player market.
This has the potential to deter sponsorship and further depress the already skinny bank accounts.

In a perfect world, clubs and the NRL would not look upon each other as being the enemy. The annoying thing is that the club delegates fully understand the issues and yet they still insist on catering to their own needs... there's nothing new about this.

Given time, the salary cap will rise... but to do it through the courts is detrimental to the game.

Lets say that we give you those players you mentioned as "developed"{Weve argued those players elsewhere]
The point being that they have now come into some kind of rep jumper or first grade
Now where were you standing when the Broncos or the Knights were supplying the majority of rep players[although Wing at bench and Fitzgibbon-No -hang on Tallis retired didnt he.Wing was really the only certainty to be selected }
The point being -Now ,because they have been lucky enough to get some kind of Jumper you now cant afford them and are whinging like the coach after a loss.
There is no arguement here -YOu HAVE to let some go
Until The majority of clubs agree then THOSE ARE THE RULES

70 days until...$100 says Hegarty gets shopped around!

Willow said:
Penelope Pittstop said:
Willow, what do you suggest that the Roosters do to lift the Cap? Asking nicely hasn't worked in the past.

At this point in time, I believe in the salary cap is essential. Sure, it needs some fine tuning... there have been ridiculous situations where long term players are forced to retire or juniors are lost. There also needs to be some concession for injuries (the historical cornerstone of RL) so all players get a chance to play. There have been instances when players from lower grades have missed out on a chance to play first grade because they are not in the salary capped squad. Instead, a player of lesser quality or carrying injuries is selected. These are recognised faults with the salary cap.

But while it needs some reform, a simple raising of the cap would have some devastating effects on poorer clubs... some clubs are quite close to insolvency and the pokie tax (a forgotten element in all this) isnt helping matters.

We can't expect player's managers to do anything other than to exploit the situation and the end result would be poorer clubs going further into debt or simply dipping out of the player market.
This has the potential to deter sponsorship and further depress the already skinny bank accounts.

In a perfect world, clubs and the NRL would not look upon each other as being the enemy. The annoying thing is that the club delegates fully understand the issues and yet they still insist on catering to their own needs... there's nothing new about this.

Given time, the salary cap will rise... but to do it through the courts is detrimental to the game.

Thank you for an intelligent non toxic response. And not to mention that you actually address the issue without going off on a tangent.

The problem is though that the NRL is not willing to negotiate. At this stage the NRL, must realise that it needs to sit down with all Clubs and work out viable and appropriate terms that ensure, no Club loses wanted players, factoring concessions for injuries, rewarding loyalty and development.

Latest posts