What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints Photos Thread

Godz Illa

Coach
Resurrecting this thread, for a shot from that game...

Blacklock_N04082907.jpg

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Godz Illa said:
Looks like all of EA's pics have vanished. Well that sucks.
Seems like a Photobucket thing.
Perhaps when EA get backs from his hols he'll sort them out.

The Preacher

First Grade
gorilla said:
What in Dog's name is Roy Ferguson doing wearing black shorts ???

That shot would be circa '74 and that was around the time they adopted the VFL idea of the away side wearing black shorts or white shorts depending on the home sides colours.(even if it was match of the day at the SCG)
You will see a lot of players from the same club wearing different coloured shorts, depending on the game the photo was taken in.:)

The beginning of the merchandising drive that sees sides with a different jumper every year, with 3 options to choose from.
How the maroon of Manly and the white of the Dragons could ever clash has got me stuffed.:?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And I haven't forgotten you Goz....

These pics emailed to me by Gorilla for cropping and posting.
(They'll end up on the website as well)

Click on the pics for larger images...

Johnny Raper in his Bluebags gear, around 1957

Harry Bath, about 1959

Reg Gasnier, about 1959

More of Reg

Quigs

Immortal
p-faasolo.jpg

Gidday Willow ( what am I doing in here - dont tell anyone)

Have you got these ones....

p-62-5.jpg

Bill Owens, Western Suburbs charges through a gap as a very young John Raper, Newtown, closes in in cover defence. Played at the Old SCG

p-53-9.jpg

Johnny Raper about to bury Little Tommy Bishop in the snow - 9th December 1967. Ron Coote and Billy Smith look on.

p-62-3.jpg

Raper confronts some angry Frenchman during the 68 world cup final

p-62-2.jpg

Raper holding aloft the 1968 World Cup. The Chook captained the team.

Cheers
Quigs
www.eraofthebiff.com

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fantastic. That one of Chook holding the World Cup is a beaut... might find a spot for it on LU's World Cup subdomain if that's OK.

Quigs

Immortal
p-faasolo.jpg

Here is another one I had sent to me the other day..

Features a parra bloke who was the first bloke I ever heard of to openly admit to using these new fangle wonder drugs from the States that bulk up your muscles. It was legal in those days and was front page stuff on League Week. He put on something like 20 kilo in the off season... played great and ended up wearing the Green and Gold.

The other bloke is Bruce Starkey

p-olling.jpg

Hint Graham Olling...

Cheers
Quigs

G

gorilla

Willow said:
...and as the Moose would say, bleeding like a stuck pig!

Willow, I'd hazard a guess that photo is from the 1977 2nd GF, and, yes, Rex used that exact phrase .....

Ps I knew you wouldn't forget me.:crazy:

Quigs

Immortal
Godz Illa said:
Top photos gorilla, Quigs. Aroused the historian in all of us, I'm sure. Love your work.

0-top5.jpg

Gidday Godz Illa

Glad you enjoyed the pics... mate if you are from the same vintage as I and you have a lot of memories to share than mate, I'd love to hear them. The Biff website is all about recording memories, stories, from that era.

We are all getting old... and todays game as much as you like it is crap compared to you Changa's, Satts, blah blah blah days... lets share our memories with the youngens...

drop me a line with your favorite Saints memories / yarns.... keep the dream alive.

Cheers
Quigs

Godz Illa

Coach
Quigs I'd love to attend one of those yarn sessions, but I'd be doing most of the listening. My inner historian is fed only by books - I missed the Era of The Biff. I was born only a month or two before the Dragons' last grand final victory. The photos and the written word is the only evidence I have, so I enjoy savouring it.

steveb69

Juniors
Willow said:
in result of that, i dont think st george illawarra could name a 17 man team for the week ::sarcasm:

and would be struglyin to get 238 players to play every week.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well steveb69, apart from you not making a great deal of sense, this thread about pics and not about you trolling here.

If you find some of the images a tad unsettling, perhaps you should find something else to occupy yourself with.

steveb69

Juniors
Willow said:
Well steveb69, apart from you not making a great deal of sense, this thread about pics and not about you trolling here.

If you find some of the images a tad unsettling, perhaps you should find something else to occupy yourself with.

ok, i wasnt planning on staying.
just my point was is that there are sutherland shire residents that play in the st george illawarra team. not saying there arnt any nulla players living in kograh or else where. but im just saying.. to bomb the shire.. wouldnt be a good move.
cya..

Latest posts