What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints spine

1. Dufty
2. Pereria
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Widdop
7. Hunt

9. McInnes

14. Robson

Norman- Reserve Grade
Agree with the above except I'd move Widdop to half, Norman to 5/8, Hunt to hooker, McInnes to lock with Robson coming off the bench. I'm sure Mary would let him on for 5 minutes...

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Norman is not the problem. His game improved over the past two rounds and he clearly was responsible for our two tries against Souths.

The Widdop / Dufty situation is causing the most confusion and disruption. I have stated elsewhere that in my opinion Widdop should be let go and Dufty should be on trial to keep his position at fullback. If he performs well, then he keeps is position. If he performs poorly then it is back to ISP and another player selected/recruited for the fullback position.

You are indeed correct here Possm.

Norman is not our problem, the problem is the coach trying to fit in every player into the 17. I don't know what backroom deal was done to re-sign Dufty, but it appears to have a guarantee of being in the 17 each week as one of the conditions.

Dufty from the bench is ludicrous thinking, bordering on delusion. He should be playing CC without a doubt instead of 10 mins here or there. That way the 1st grade "spine" can relax without wondering when the big swap will happen.

Having an extra forward/hooker would go along way to alleviating the fatigue factor that has been evident in both our opening games.

Its the chaos that surrounds 4 players that is making this more difficult than it should be.

watatank

Coach
The team has basically been built around the following three players so if we want to actually capitalise on Widdop actually being here, we should really be lining up this way.

6. Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes

Keeping Widdop around now is becoming more pointless the longer he plays fullback. If he's not part of the above core in that position, then we should let him go.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I'm sure that your above words would have featured in discussions at a meeting between Craig Young and Peter Doust and Bennett held in late 2017. So given that Bennett was not signed, it appears that those old boys supporting Millward in his position and Dean Young as the heir apparent for head coach won the day. By the way, Young will make his way to the head coach position by first being appointed interim coach - in a similar way to what happened with Mary.
I suspect that you are correct here Possm. I think Craig Young may be the most powerful power broker at our club. He was moved from his role of recruitment officer, but I still suspected that he wielded a lot of power. He was then made a member of the board.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Many people on this forum were calling for Widdop to play fullback, because Bennett played him fullback for England. I didn't see him play fullback for England, but I was not convinced that he was a fullback. We should be letting Widdop go now, looking towards the future and creating a lot of extra salary cap space. Make a decision if Dufty is our long term fullback this year and have Norman and Hunt playing in our halves and developing their combination with each other and the rest of the team.

I have stated numerous times and so has many others, Widdop isn't a born leader. I think we should be looking at buying a leader. Pangai was inspirational for Brisbane last night. He would be a great replacement for Graham next year.

41yearsaint

Juniors
Norman is not the problem. His game improved over the past two rounds and he clearly was responsible for our two tries against Souths.

The Widdop / Dufty situation is causing the most confusion and disruption. I have stated elsewhere that in my opinion Widdop should be let go and Dufty should be on trial to keep his position at fullback. If he performs well, then he keeps is position. If he performs poorly then it is back to ISP and another player selected/recruited for the fullback position.
Widdop- Captain and leading points scorer.
Dufty-first year, leading try scorer.
Norman- has never been either.
Mary and co- confused and disruptive.

since77

Juniors
Unless changing the spine ensures we can score about 8 tries per game it’s pointless. The biggest problems we have (after an incompetent coach) are 1. the right side defence, 2. Selection and use of the bench. Exactly the same problems the team had last year.

Como Connection

First Grade
I suspect that you are correct here Possm. I think Craig Young may be the most powerful power broker at our club. He was moved from his role of recruitment officer, but I still suspected that he wielded a lot of power. He was then made a member of the board.
Both Young and Hornby have been told they will not be considered for the top coaching job at the Dragons until they depart the club and gain more experience elsewhere.
CC

blacksafake

First Grade
Both Young and Hornby have been told they will not be considered for the top coaching job at the Dragons until they depart the club and gain more experience elsewhere.
CC
Good, But does this mean L plate is safe or would they look outside the club.
Barrett????

Frank Facer

First Grade
Widdop- Captain and leading points scorer.
Dufty-first year, leading try scorer.
Norman- has never been either.
Mary and co- confused and disruptive.
We didn't buy Norman to score tries, we bought him to set up tries and steer the team around the paddock. Good halves are the most valuable commodity in the game and how many tries or points they score is usually irrelevant. How many tries does Cooper Cronk score? Very few.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Good, But does this mean L plate is safe or would they look outside the club.
Barrett????
I won't be surprised to see Barrett replace Mary. He will already be part of our coaching staff, he may even accept conditions that other coaches would not, such as not having the final say on recruitment or not being able to select his coaching staff.

I would prefer Barrett over Mary. There were some very good reports about him before he took over from Manly.

Como Connection

First Grade
I won't be surprised to see Barrett replace Mary. He will already be part of our coaching staff, he may even accept conditions that other coaches would not, such as not having the final say on recruitment or not being able to select his coaching staff.

I would prefer Barrett over Mary. There were some very good reports about him before he took over from Manly.
"Barrett is already part of the coaching staff", exactly when did that occur!
CC

RedVDave

First Grade
Someone on the forum really summed it up best when that said "Mary is trying to fit 5 pegs in 4 square holes" that is the best analogy if Mary really wants this rotation then why not have Norman at Fullback and Widdop at 5/8, with Dufty coming in at lock in the last 25mins I like Widdop a lot really good player but just looks to slow and lacking in imagination at Fullback.

1: Norman
6.Widdop
7. Hunt
9. McInnes
14: Dufty

I understand Widdop is leaving is at seasons end and Norman/Hunt will be the halves for the next 3 seasons at least but why weaken 1 season to strengthen another makes little sense to me personally.