What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap 2014

A Stray Alien

Juniors
How much cap do we have left , is there cap room for more players to come to the club, who are they , are we even looking or have we shut up shop or do we just bring more holden cup players in.

Who is realy gone i have herd Lote,Molt,Bell,Utai,Reddy Petty,Messada,Groat and now may be Blair and not forget Marshall thats alot of cap if they all go, Imo Lote,Molt ,Blair and ?Bell staying . does anyone realy know or just speck

macnaz

Staff member
Not sure who knows the answers at the.moment , still a mystery at this stage .

Magpie Tragic

Juniors
Wests Tigers winger Lote Tuqiri has been granted a release from the Club to allow the dual international to take up an opportunity to play rugby union in Ireland.
Tuqiri left Sydney last night for a three month stint with Leinster Rugby Club.
A highly respected player, Tuqiri played 52 games for Wests Tigers and 151 NRL games. He played his final game for Wests Tigers against the North Qld Cowboys in Townsville last Saturday night.
Following a seven year stint in rugby union, Tuqiri made a spectacular debut for Wests Tigers in 2010 when he scored with his first touch of the ball against Manly at the Sydney Football Stadium in the opening round of the premiership.
The experienced winger quickly became a favourite amongst Wests Tigers supporters with his powerful running and ability to find the tryline. He was in vintage form during the 2010 finals series and was rewarded with selection in the Australian team for the Four Nations tournament.
A series of injuries saw Tuqiri play just nine games in 2011 with the club bowing out of the finals series to the Warriors.
Last year, Tuqiri suffered a upper arm injury in July that ended his season. Tuqiri worked hard on his rehab and made a successful return against the Sydney Roosters in round 23.
“I’ve really enjoyed my time at Wests Tigers and will take with me a lot of special memories as well as many friendships I’ve made with the players and staff,’’ Tuqiri.
“My first year in 2010 was incredible. To come back from rugby and to achieve what I did was a great feeling. It was a great side to be a part of it but unfortunately we fell one game short of the grand final.
“I just like to thank former coach Tim Sheens for giving me that opportunity to again play in the NRL. I also enjoyed working under Mick Potter this season.
“I also like to thank the Wests Tigers members and fans for their amazing support of me. It was an honour to play for Wests Tigers and I know the club will only get stronger in the seasons ahead. There is some tremendous young talent here.”
Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer said Tuqiri made an enormous impression on the club, both on and off the field.
“His contribution to this club cannot be underestimated. His experience in helping young wingers such as Marika Koroibete and David Nofoaluma has been invaluable.
“Lote Tuqiri will always hold a special place in the hearts of all Wests Tigers fans.”

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we will still be paying for in 2014:
Ayshford - 2 years (he signed til 2015 with us)
Gibbs - 1 year (he signed til 2014 with us)
Heighington - 1 year (he signed til 2014 with us)

Moltzen (if he leaves) - 2 years (he signed til 2015 with us)
Tuqiri, Bell, Reddy, Iosefa, Groat and Utai all have their contracts end this year

Marshall activated the option in his ncontract, I believe he had 2 years with the option of 2 more, so we shouldn't be paying him a cent.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had approx 700k still being paid to players not at the club (that includes Moltzen if he leaves)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Im pretty sure 2014 we dont have any more contracts to pay out. Ellis Fififa and Heino contracts are all finished and we do not have to pay Marshall or Ayshford out as they opted out themselves.

All these other players ar also finished so our war chest is quite significant. My guess is they are holding onto the cash untill a premiere back rower is available and we will pounce.
By the end of 2014 Bodene and Anasta will be off contract, however so will Woods who must be retained.

In terms of Moltzen...just keep him. Given our injury history we will most likely need a fill in for a half or fullback

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fifita was on minimal coin and I believe he was at the end of his contract when he left.

A Stray Alien

Juniors
The salary cape is there to help a club like us but we treat it like a toilet,the other clubs have a salary cape but we have a salary crap FMD

magpie guy

Juniors
I don't think we have much cap space left for 2014. What with upgrades of contracts for Simona, Brooks and Moses, and paying out the last of Gibbs, Heino and maybe Ryan. We still have Lawrence, Farah and Blair who are on sizeable contracts I believe.

There are not any players available that we need who would sign for what cap space we can afford for next year and I believe that we would be holding on to a bit of space in the event that we get injuries and have to rely on second tier players like this year. Remembering that we actually went over the cap this year and that prevented us from playing Brooks until the end of the season.

We have bought some depth for next season in Austin, Patterson and Taupau. These guys would not be on a huge amount of coin but there may be incentive deals or match payments written in their contracts. I think it is prudent to hold back some cap space so if these guys or others in the second tier warrant selection on form, we have the cap space to be able to play them. In the same line of reasoning, if a top tier player is crap (Anasta anyone) we should not be forced to select them because of salary cap pressures.

Matchball

Bench
We will be paying out ex players for years.
Our cap is in a mess and won't be fixed overnight or even in 2/3 seasons.

Bench
Im pretty sure 2014 we dont have any more contracts to pay out. Ellis Fififa and Heino contracts are all finished and we do not have to pay Marshall or Ayshford out as they opted out themselves.

All these other players ar also finished so our war chest is quite significant. My guess is they are holding onto the cash untill a premiere back rower is available and we will pounce.
By the end of 2014 Bodene and Anasta will be off contract, however so will Woods who must be retained.

In terms of Moltzen...just keep him. Given our injury history we will most likely need a fill in for a half or fullback
You are right Marshall and Ayshford asked for a release,so they are getting nothing from us,the rest have been paid,we are squared off,so lets keep Blair and stop paying other teams players.

R2Coupe

Juniors
RLW reports Kyle Lovett, Andy Fiagutsa and Kurtis Rowe will re-new contracts with WTs. I am particularly pleased about Rowe as I believe he will be the No 1 for WTs.

Radical Rat

Juniors
I think Teddy showed in the last few games that he's going to be our fullback for a long time. He was sensational.

DanOz

Juniors
I think Teddy showed in the last few games that he's going to be our fullback for a long time. He was sensational.
He was always defensively excellent, but he really showed how good he can be in attack at the end of the year. I think he will end up a very good player if injury is kind to him

R2Coupe

Juniors
It's a nice position to be in with two fullbacks. I believe Rowe will be our fullback. He looks to be bigger than Tedesco, is certainly faster and is equal leading tryscorer in the NYC. Like Tedesco, he represented the Australian Schoolboys although he is a Kiwi from Taranaki via Keebra. I understand his father was a pretty useful RU winger - very quick.

BuffaloRules

Coach
it's a nice position to be in with two fullbacks. I believe rowe will be our fullback. He looks to be bigger than tedesco, is certainly faster and is equal leading tryscorer in the nyc. Like tedesco, he represented the australian schoolboys although he is a kiwi from taranaki via keebra. I understand his father was a pretty useful ru winger - very quick.

wtf?

gronkathon

First Grade
Rowe will take Meaneys slot in the NSW Cup side and ply his trade and get better before coming close to Tedesco