What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It would be a massive kick in the guts for the team and fans if we were to lose 4 points, we'd need at least 15 wins just assure ourselves a top 8 spot. We haven't done that since 2005.

Dibs

Bench
Even then I'd still be pissed. If we came in 7th or 8th but could have pushed for a top 4 finished if it wasn't for the -4

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Even then I'd still be pissed. If we came in 7th or 8th but could have pushed for a top 4 finished if it wasn't for the -4
Yep no excuses as far as I'm concerned, the worst thing we brought all this on ourselves. Still pisses me off we are so highly scrutinised whole other clubs seem to do as they please.

Sharpe said we won't be on -4 points when the season starts. IMO If we do get the -4 point start it will probably mean an end to Sharpe and this board.

Yep no excuses as far as I'm concerned, the worst thing we brought all this on ourselves. Still pisses me off we are so highly scrutinised whole other clubs seem to do as they please.

We self reported remember?!! lol, what a bunch of morons!! Which other team self reports?
If there's something wrong you fix it but you don't put the club at jeopardy! Sharpe can't complain about constitutional reform now being dictated to us, as he's brought this upon us.

Instead of being happy and confident about the strong team we have we are worried about starting on -4 points. Nothing's changed under these idiots we are still in the papers for all the wrong reasons.

That's the funny thing that could come out of all this, it was done on previous watch, CEO was sacked, but if we get punished now for it the current mob will get blamed and may end up arsed out.
If it was happening at any other club you would be pissing your self laughing.

phantom eel

First Grade
Problem is are these recommendations the best thing for the club going forward?? I'm not so sure.
I reckon the governance recommendations - 3 year terms for Board Directors, with one third elected each year - are exactly what we need to slow down the factionalism at our club, and finally get our governance more professional than political.

The only ones that will squeal about it will be the ones who see their chance at "power" ebbing away, the blokes (and it's mostly blokes) who contested these stupid elections every year (or two years at the moment, since the Footy Club imploded).

I can't see any reason why the activities that occurred prior to us getting busted for cap issues last year would trip the 4 point penalty. They may cause An increase to the fine and we may have to eat a higher cap expenditure this year... and thus lose a player....but the 4 point penalty threat was with respect to our behaviour after we got busted.

emjaycee

Coach
I can't see any reason why the activities that occurred prior to us getting busted for cap issues last year would trip the 4 point penalty. They may cause An increase to the fine and we may have to eat a higher cap expenditure this year... and thus lose a player....but the 4 point penalty threat was with respect to our behaviour after we got busted.

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
Thanks for bringing some semblance of sanity to this discussion.

Caveat: it is the NRL and they seem to make up rules to suit sometimes.

keitel

Juniors
Why would it be a choice between those two?

Why punish the most important aspect of the game, the supporters,for something they have no control over. Punish those directly responsible with time out of their position,etc. although that could be hard to police.

Haynzy

First Grade
Wear the penalty, end up with a team we wouldn't have been able to assemble without the TPAs, beat Melbourne in the GF.

What's the problem?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Can the board even agree to 3 year elections ? Which seems to be one of recommendations the NRL want implemented but the eels don't want to. Wouldnt this recommendation need to be taken to the members to vote on ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Wear the penalty, end up with a team we wouldn't have been able to assemble without the TPAs, beat Melbourne in the GF.

What's the problem?

This.

I'd rather scrape into the top 8 with a team capable of winning the comp than scrape in with a team likely to get knocked out in the first week.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This.

I'd rather scrape into the top 8 with a team capable of winning the comp than scrape in with a team likely to get knocked out in the first week.
And how many clubs have won from 7th and 8th again??? Because that is where we will be coming from unless we win about 17 or 18 games.

Can the board even agree to 3 year elections ? Which seems to be one of recommendations the NRL want implemented but the eels don't want to. Wouldnt this recommendation need to be taken to the members to vote on ?
Whats the ruling on this with Clubs NSW, the NRL have to remember that the board is the leagues club board, the leagues club board have to abide by the registered club act of NSW.
The Act may not allow for changes like that.
This could become be messy and end up in court.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
And how many clubs have won from 7th and 8th again??? Because that is where we will be coming from unless we win about 17 or 18 games.

Yeah I agree it is almost impossible to win from 7th / 8th ( but will happen one day), but if we did manage to make 7th / 8th spot after losing 4 points we really would be a "true" 7th / 8 th side. Probably more like one of the form sides in the comp.

But let's just hope it doesn't happen, I reckon there is no chance we will lose points.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

That's because they're not among the best teams. But if you're one of the best teams who is also carrying a four point cap penalty then you are a good chance of finishing 7th or 8th. From there you can win it - not because of where you finish, but because of the quality of your team.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Teams that finish 7th/8th and fail to win the comp don't fail to win the comp because of where they finished. They fail because of the quality of their team.

Status
Not open for further replies.