What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Kasiano

Dragsters

First Grade
Thank *#@^ for that.

The press are a cess pool of false reporting and sensationalism. Is it no coincidence the Kasiano has signed with the Catalan DRAGONS.

Maybe this was always the direction he was taking and was never in our sights.

Indeed they are.

I believe it was James Hooper that reported this yesterday...

getsmarty

Immortal
kasianos-18031053.jpg

STORM

Kasiano's impending Catalans move frees Smith to play in round one
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 8 Mar 2019, 09:12 AM
walshdan-head.png

Sam Kasiano will join Super League outfit Catalans Dragons on a three-year deal, bringing Melbourne back under the salary cap in time for Cameron Smith to take the paddock in round one.

Kasiano will depart Australian shores in the next fortnight, with the long-term security on offer from the French outfit too good to ignore after having preliminary discussions with St George Illawarra.

The former Kiwi international leaves Melbourne after just one season of a lucrative three-year deal, having arrived last year from Canterbury.

His exit makes Melbourne cap compliant once more, with NRL.com understanding the club had been roughly $200,000 over the cap a week out from their season-opening clash with Brisbane next Thursday.

Under the NRL's 'last man in' rule, Smith was technically in the firing line if Melbourne were not cap compliant by round one, and the player that would not be permitted to play given his new two-year deal was signed after his last contract lapsed on November 1.

Smith himself sought assurance from Melbourne CEO Dave Donaghy about the situation.

"I spoke to the CEO, he's all but guaranteed me I'll be right to go," Smith said at Thursday's NRL launch.

"But when I saw those reports I was getting a bit nervous."

Kasiano leaves the NRL after 153 games for the Bulldogs and Storm, with 11 Test appearances for New Zealand (six Tests) and Samoa (five Tests).

Melbourne Storm v Brisbane Broncos
What will be the result in round 1?

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/08...ove-frees-cameron-smith-to-play-in-round-one/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons miss out on Sam Kasiano as outgoing Storm prop signs with Catalans in UK Super League
Dragons
james_hooper.jpg

976951dd6f3110f34091a8d6972316b5

Sam Kasiano will link up with French outfit Catalans in the UK Super League.Source: AAP
St George Illawarra have missed out on a last ditch play to sign Melbourne forward Sam Kasiano who will join French team Les Catalans in the UK Super League.
The NRL Dragons made a late play to bring Kasiano to Wollongong for this season but the Storm forward has instead opted for the security of a three year deal with Catalans in Perpignan.

Every game of every round of the NRL LIVE with no ad-breaks during play. Get it all on Foxtel.

St George Illawarra still have one position available on the Red V roster irrespective of what happens with Jack de Belin’s Federal Court appeal.

If de Belin is stood down, the Dragons will have two positions available in their top 30.

The Storm had reportedly been looking to offload a player to relieve salary cap pressure and Kasiano was one name thrown up in recent weeks.

The move means the Storm will be salary cap compliant for the opening game of the season against the Broncos next Thursday night.

The Storm had been slightly over the salary cap spending limit of $9.6 million prior to moving Kasiano, meaning captain Cameron Smith’s deal will be registered leading into round one.

On Thursday it was revealed the Dragons had been in talks with the 28-year-old former Storm and Bulldogs prop to bolster their forward pack as doubt hangs over de Belin’s chances to take the field this season.

The Dragons are believed to have minimal space left in their salary cap, but are yet to apply for dispensation from the NRL over de Belin’s potential stand down.

“They’ve got an opportunity to apply. The decision said it was not automatic salary cap relief,” ARLC chair Peter Beattie told NRL 360 on Thursday.

“They’ve got to apply to the salary cap auditor to get relief because we want to make sure in the future we have a standard where clubs are complying with the culture we’re setting.

“They need to apply for it and that was made clear at the news conference.

“I’ve seen St George (at the NRL season launch), they’re smart people and I’m sure they’ll put an application in.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/22e2ccf8a05f51e19d6916d37dec1a98

possm

Coach
So the media were saying, so in that case probably not! Save the money & promote from within.

Right now in the forwards we have good depth with some young props like Lawrie, Kerr and Timm coming through. I'd say use the money to sign Robson and for now, play McInnes between hooker and lock.

Last edited: