What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Williams dismisses Dragons rumours then signs

RedVDave

First Grade
Off-contract Raiders halfback Sam Williams says speculation linking him to St George Illawarra is off the mark, and he "never really looked into it too seriously".
The 22-year-old Cooma product remains without a club for next season, despite constant suggestions of a link with the Dragons.
The forgotten Canberra playmaker is stuck playing for Mounties in the NSW Cup, with Raiders coach David Furner opting for Terry Campese and Josh McCrone as his halves.
Williams made his representative debut this year and has earned a place in a NSW Cup representative side to play a Queensland Residents side in the Origin III curtain-raiser on Wednesday night.
But he is becoming frustrated at the fact that he remains clubless for this year and beyond.
"We've had talks with a couple of people and I guess it's getting a bit closer," Williams said.
"It's dragged out a bit longer than what I would have liked, but in saying that, I'm still confident we'll get something sorted for next year."
Williams had been linked to the Dragons more than any other club, though reports suggest they withdrew their offer after the Raiders refused to release him before the June 30 deadline.
"There was a bit of speculation about it, but we never really looked into it too seriously," Williams said.
"I think it was just the position [the Dragons] were in and the way they were travelling, and I guess I wasn't playing first-grade and people may have seen a fit there.
"My aim always this year was to work my way back into the [NRL] side, and be a part of a premiership-winning Raiders side.
"If the opportunity arises and something comes up where you can play regular first grade, you'd be mad not to take it.
"But in saying that, it would have to be a pretty good deal to get me away from Canberra."
Williams said he would give the Raiders the final chance to keep him at the club, but they probably are unlikely to be able to afford him in their salary cap.

Williams has played 40 games since making his first-grade debut with the Raiders in 2011. He has also captained the club's under-20s team.
He has made his debut for Country Origin this year.
And he will have his parents in the stands when he dons the sky blue jersey for the first time, on Wednesday.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/1630084/sam-williams-dismisses-dragons-rumours/?cs=2382

* update - Williams has now signed for 2014:

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons-Sign-Sam-Williams/79195

Last edited by a moderator:

TruSaint

Referee
Ohh well, thats that.
Doesn't sound to me he is filled with joy to come to Saints.

"There was a bit of speculation about it, but we never really looked into it too seriously," Williams said.
"I think it was just the position [the Dragons] were in and the way they were travelling, and I guess I wasn't playing first-grade and people may have seen a fit there.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
He's not the brightest spark is he. All other players would have said they were weighing up other options to get more from their current club. Oh well, who else is out there?

TruSaint

Referee
He's not the brightest spark is he. All other players would have said they were weighing up other options to get more from their current club. Oh well, who else is out there?

Spot on R W.
If that was a script by his manager, he should be sacked.
As u say........ next

pfrano

Juniors
A very casual attitude. I'm not keen to waste money on Williams with that sort of attitude.

TruSaint

Referee

Hey RW... what does this matter remind you of?
Hint- Think Campbelltown lol.

Father Ted

First Grade
We are just everyones first choice at the moment are'nt we..I did suggest a while a go that he had about three offers , I think it's fair to say we are not his first or second choice.. And the search for a half back continues.

RedVDave

First Grade
We are just everyones first choice at the moment are'nt we..I did suggest a while a go that he had about three offers , I think it's fair to say we are not his first or second choice.. And the search for a half back continues.

What are you on about Father along with Rangi and Johnson it's a done deal. :?

nrlnrl

First Grade
A very casual attitude. I'm not keen to waste money on Williams with that sort of attitude.

I didn't want him before June 30 & don't want him in the future. I've never been convinced of his form for an NRL standard half. I know people will think we should've signed him for this year, but I'm sure the Dragons are chasing other options anyway.

It's something of a slap in the face for the Dragons. With a comment like

"I think it was just the position [the Dragons] were in and the way they were travelling

Our desperation is showing.

Still... don't like him, don't want him.

SaintArsenal

Juniors
I didn't want him before June 30 & don't want him in the future. I've never been convinced of his form for an NRL standard half. I know people will think we should've signed him for this year, but I'm sure the Dragons are chasing other options anyway.

What other options? I thought he was the only option left outside of Harry proving his worth?

Really?

...My son is quite the Gunners fan, mind you still a tick short of his fanatacism for Dragons.

The more I look into them the more Arsenal remind me of Dragons.

The history of the club, enigmatic, and iconic. The fans!!

jenninga

First Grade
Ohh well, thats that.
Doesn't sound to me he is filled with joy to come to Saints.

F#*k him ,i don't want a dickhead like that in my team,and as others here have said a little diplomacy would have been nice,rather than dismiss our club the way he did.
Hope he is playing Mounties next year also.

Latest posts