What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Samoa 4 nations train on squad

roughyedspud

Coach
they'll never be allowed to build squads until the origin rules allow them to play origin & for samoa....cos you'll always have the likes of milford who'll play a few games for lesser nation then dump them as soon at origin comes calling...

marv

Juniors
I'd go with:

I chose more Samoan born players because I'd say they probably don't have a realistic chance of winning the tournament so developing players who are proud Samoans with an eye towards the future is better than giving a player like Steve Matai a jersey when he was a kiwis international for so long and probably isn't really gonna be a force to be reckoned with by the 2017 world cup. Samoa needs to start picking players loyal to the jersey, I don't mind players switching come world cup time but they should lose out to a player committed to playing for Samoa on a permanent basis.

Birth hasnt stopped others swtiching. The only thing that can stop nation hopping is the governing body.

hutch

First Grade
The more things change, the more they stay the same! What a joke! We will never learn as a code, I'm getting sick of it. The nrl clubs have way too much power!

http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...lubs-are-blocking-players-from-internationals

Sport: Samoa coach says NRL clubs are blocking players from internationals
Updated at 11:37 am on 24 September 2014

Toa Samoa rugby league coach Matt Parish says NRL clubs are continuing to stand in the way of players who want to play for their country, and something needs to be done.
The New South Wales assistant coach says every player he has spoken to wants to play in the upcoming Four Nations but a handful of NRL clubs continue to make things difficult.
"The clubs are very selfish at times and they stand in their way. What they don't realise also is these guys playing in the better competitions make them better players. [Anthony] Milford came back from the World Cup last year brimming with confidence because he played really well for Samoa against the worlds best. We are having trouble with clubs releasing them. I don't think it's very right and I'm hoping that the NRL will step in and assist us in that. It's something that I've discussed on numerous occasions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, with the heads of the NRL. They need to get the clubs to support it otherwise we may as well just have three teams in the world."
Matt Parish says he's still hopeful Anthony Milford will be free to play for Samoa's Four Nations team, saying the 20 year old is keen to play.
The Brisbane Broncos-bound fullback did not play in the victory over Fiji in May, after being told to turn out for the Maroons Under 20s team instead.
He was picked in the full Queensland squad for Origin Two but did not play and has been named in the Kangaroos train-on squad.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Wish they'd name the clubs doing this so the fans could bombard them non stop to let them know we are sick of it. If it was to start hurting these clubs because fans were pissed, they might just change their stubborn 19th century thinking minds :crazy:

roughyedspud

Coach
under RLIF LAW clubs have to release players.....

so instead of whinging about it to the press months after (in the case of milford) go to the RLIF and make a formal complaint...

roughyedspud

Coach
thats got to be for the national team doctor to decide...

the club can't just say a player is injured for him only to turn out the following weekend.

expansionist

Juniors
I dont know why this doesnt happen - id love for smaller nations to have a go and back themselves.

To be honest if some of these minor nations actually took on the ARL I believe they would win.

There is also surely no way that the ARL can legally force someone not to play for a nation (providing he is eligible) even if he has played SOO.

RedVee

First Grade
The more things change, the more they stay the same! What a joke! We will never learn as a code, I'm getting sick of it. The nrl clubs have way too much power!

http://www.radionz.co.nz/internatio...lubs-are-blocking-players-from-internationals

Sport: Samoa coach says NRL clubs are blocking players from internationals
Updated at 11:37 am on 24 September 2014

You can say stuff the clubs (& I would) but realistically are many players going to defy their club coaches wishes?

It sucks though - this 4 Nations should be a great opportunity for Samoa and their players.

hutch

First Grade
Squad announced:

Squad (in alphabetical order): Leeson Ah Mau (St George Illawarra Dragons), David Fa'alogo (Newcastle Knights), Pita Godinet (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats), Tim Lafai (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Joey Leilua (Newcastle Knights), Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters), Dunamis Lui (Manly Sea Eagles), Penani Manumalealii (Cronulla Sharks), Mose Masoe (St Helens), Suaia Matagi (New Zealand Warriors), Peter Mata’utia (St George Illawarra Dragons), Reni Maitua (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Tautau Moga (North Queensland Cowboys), Dominique Peyroux (New Zealand Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Ben Roberts (Melbourne Storm), Tim Simona (Wests Tigers), Michael Sio (New Zealand Warriors), Kyle Stanley (St George Illawarra Dragons), Sauaso Sue (Wests Tigers), Sam Tagataese (Cronulla Sharks), Daniel Vidot (Brisbane Broncos), Antonio Winterstein (North Queensland Cowboys).

shiznit

Coach
Matagi should be playing for Samoa...

It's not like we need him... He's really a borderline selection for us anyway...

If I was in charge of NZRL... I'd be on the phone to JWH and saying that he needs to get his ass in to camp ASAP or he will be having an enforced retirement from international rugby league.

I mean FFS... SBW is playing 3rd tier rugby union tonight... His season won't finish until close to December.

Matagi should be playing for Samoa...

It's not like we need him... He's really a borderline selection for us anyway...

If I was in charge of NZRL... I'd be on the phone to JWH and saying that he needs to get his ass in to camp ASAP or he will be having an enforced retirement from international rugby league.

I mean FFS... SBW is playing 3rd tier rugby union tonight... His season won't finish until close to December.

Totally agree that Matagi should play for Samoa not the Kiwis but JWH can take a holiday.

peyow

Juniors
They only named 23. All the others have 24-man squads. Does that mean Milford or Sione Mata'utia will come in when not selected for the Kangaroos?

Son of Minto

Bench
They only named 23. All the others have 24-man squads. Does that mean Milford or Sione Mata'utia will come in when not selected for the Kangaroos?

Possibly. Journo on twitter said that Josh McGuire would get picked if he didnt get chosen for Australia.

goodplayer

Juniors
Squad announced:

Squad (in alphabetical order): Leeson Ah Mau (St George Illawarra Dragons), David Fa'alogo (Newcastle Knights), Pita Godinet (Wakefield Trinity Wildcats), Tim Lafai (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Joey Leilua (Newcastle Knights), Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters), Dunamis Lui (Manly Sea Eagles), Penani Manumalealii (Cronulla Sharks), Mose Masoe (St Helens), Suaia Matagi (New Zealand Warriors), Peter Mata?utia (St George Illawarra Dragons), Reni Maitua (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Tautau Moga (North Queensland Cowboys), Dominique Peyroux (New Zealand Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Ben Roberts (Melbourne Storm), Tim Simona (Wests Tigers), Michael Sio (New Zealand Warriors), Kyle Stanley (St George Illawarra Dragons), Sauaso Sue (Wests Tigers), Sam Tagataese (Cronulla Sharks), Daniel Vidot (Brisbane Broncos), Antonio Winterstein (North Queensland Cowboys).
world cup squad
Anthony Milford - Canberra Raiders
Antonio Winterstein - North Queensland Cowboys
Leeson Ah Mau - St George Dragons
Joseph Leilua - Newcastle Knights
Daniel Vidot - St George Dragons
Ben Roberts - Parramatta Eels
Reni Maitua - Parramatta Eels
Mark Taufua - Cronulla Sharks
Masada Iosefa - West Tigers
David Faalogo - Newcastle Knights
Sauaso Sue - West Tigers
Suaia Matagi - NZ Warriors
Pita Godinet - NZ Warriors
Mose Masoe - Penrith Panthers
Tim Lafai - Canterbury Bulldogs
Penani Manumalealii - Cronulla Sharks
Junior Moors - Melbourne Storm
Teofilo Lepou - Marist Saints - Samoa
Faleniu Iosi - Letava Bulldogs - Samoa
Ionatana Tino - Apia Barracudas - Samoa
Arden McCarthy - Pt Chevalier Pirates - NZ
Edward Purcell - Mt Albert Lions - NZ
Harrison Hansen - Wigan Warriors - UK
Iosia Soliola - St Helens Saints - UK
Frank Winterstein - Widnes Vikings - UK
Junior Sau - Melbourne Storm

Steve Matai - Technical Advisor - Manly Sea Eagles (TBC)
Matt Parish - Head Coach - Parramatta Eels
Ponifasio Vasa - Asst Coach - Samoa
Sean Long - Asst Coach UK - Wigan Warriors
Scott Campbell - Condition Coach - St George Dragons
Klinton Hoare - Trainer High Performance - NRL
Eddie Farah - Physiotherapist - South Sydney Rabbitohs
Tuimatafele Fritz Tuiavii - General Manager - Samoa
Patele Fereti Tautunu - Chaplain - Samoa
Anna Barwell - Media Rugby League Samoa - NSW
Dave Humphrey - Doctor - UK
Alan Clarke - Team Kitman - St Helens
Andy Lee - Liaison Officer - UK