What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW back in the NRL in 2013

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
It's funny to see that most Roosters fans supporting this tool don't even realise that all he's doing is using their club's salary cap space to give a big middle finger salute to the game.

Danish

Referee
It's funny to see that most Roosters fans supporting this tool don't even realise that all he's doing is using their club's salary cap space to give a big middle finger salute to the game.

Not as funny as Broncos fans trying to take the moral high groung despite their club leading the charge to try and destroy the entire game with Super League :)

As for our cap space, he has only signed a 1 year deal. What player would you suggest is better than SBW that we could have used that space on bringing to the club?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So SBW has apparently upped the NZ tv rights deal by $1 mill, is going to bring a sellout crowd to his first away game in Auckland, and brought in $50k worth of memberships for the roosters in the few hours since signing with the club.

Yep... Terrible move to have him back in the game :sarcasm:

He's not going to bring a sell-out crowd to Auckland. It's at Eden Park and they're not going to produce a crowd of 50-60k (think it's 50, was 60 for World Cup) just based on him. They managed 35K there this year on the back of a GF, so 20 or so would be a decent guess given a piss poor effort in 2012. Only Weidler would trumpet that SBW is going to sell 30k worth of tickets on his own.

Yeah, he'll bring revenue to the game. But in terms of on-field results, I doubt the Roosters are going to get similar results. He freely admitted in a presser he'd rather be in rugby. So when the going gets tough, think Sonny Bill is going to get going tougher or get going straight back in 2014?

Danish

Referee
He's not going to bring a sell-out crowd to Auckland. It's at Eden Park and they're not going to produce a crowd of 50-60k (think it's 50, was 60 for World Cup) just based on him. They managed 35K there this year on the back of a GF, so 20 or so would be a decent guess given a piss poor effort in 2012. Only Weidler would trumpet that SBW is going to sell 30k worth of tickets on his own.

Yeah, he'll bring revenue to the game. But in terms of on-field results, I doubt the Roosters are going to get similar results. He freely admitted in a presser he'd rather be in rugby. So when the going gets tough, think Sonny Bill is going to get going tougher or get going straight back in 2014?

Who knows? Who cares?

He is going to bring our club extra millions this season just in ticket sales alone. Memberships are already increasing and if he doesn't stick around, well that just gives us a damned nice chunk of money to throw at players who will be coming off contract for the 2014 season (there are plenty).

He certainly isn't going to hurt our on field chances either, so really I can't see anything but positives coming out of this for Easts (and the game) even if he only stays for 12 months.

some11

Referee
Maloney is going to have the most impact on their side, not some guy whos going to play under 15 games.

Patorick

Staff member
Brad Walter has just covered himself in glory today.

Hope he's getting a commission...

betcats

Referee
Who knows? Who cares?

He is going to bring our club extra millions this season just in ticket sales alone. Memberships are already increasing and if he doesn't stick around, well that just gives us a damned nice chunk of money to throw at players who will be coming off contract for the 2014 season (there are plenty).

He certainly isn't going to hurt our on field chances either, so really I can't see anything but positives coming out of this for Easts (and the game) even if he only stays for 12 months.

Whatever f**kstain.

This whole situation is like a woman taking back a man who kicked the shit out of her because the man just won lotto.

I would feel dirty cheering that merkin even if he came to my club.

As for the bold, are you sure? How'd the dogs go after the disruption of Sonny leaving midseason?? There are lots of ways he could hurt your chances. If he f**ks up the culture and attitude of your team, which Brian Smith was focused on fixing, it will hurt.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Whatever f**kstain.

This whole situation is like a woman taking back a man who kicked the shit out of her because the man just won lotto.

As for the bold, are you sure? How'd the dogs go after the disruption of Sonny leaving midseason?? There are lots of ways he could hurt your chances. If he f**ks up the culture and attitude of your team, which Brian Smith was focused on fixing, it will hurt.

I don't think that'll be an issue at all, Smithy had the Roosters pretty relaxed.

ozbash

Referee
So SBW has apparently upped the NZ tv rights deal by $1 mill, is going to bring a sellout crowd to his first away game in Auckland, and brought in $50k worth of memberships for the roosters in the few hours since signing with the club.

Yep... Terrible move to have him back in the game :sarcasm:

Very true, welcome back Sonny, you are exactly what the game needs.

f**k Hassim....

betcats

Referee
I don't think that'll be an issue at all, Smithy had the Roosters pretty relaxed.

Yeah but that was Smithy fixing the party culture at the club.

Myles and Carney being punted was supposed to be the first moves to fix the clubs culture or thats what i remember reading at the time.

Danish

Referee
Whatever f**kstain.

:lol: get angry fella!

In a code where there are literally a half dozen actual woman bashers running about the place I really don't see why SBW would be the one anyone actually cares about.

What club is it that you support btw?

Brian Smith was a f**king cancer that completely decimated our club in the Ricky Stuart fashion. SBW has proven himself nothing but a great influence at every club he has been at since leaving the dogs, and if anything he will be a great role model for the young kids at our club (he doesn't drink, party, act a goose etc).

There is no reason to believe he'll have anything but a positive effect on our club even if he is only here for a season

Valheru

Coach
The amount of butthurt dogs fans in this thread is phenomenal
Their tears are bittersweet on my pallet

TBH most dogs fans on here have been ok about it and at least they have a right to be angry.

It?s the amount of ?outraged? Canberra fans that I find humorous

Whatever f**kstain.

How do you expect he will do that? I can?t say his morals in terms of a contract are exemplary but other than that I don?t recall him being involved in any off field incident in any club he has been with.

Springs

First Grade
Hey kids, I'm only here because I have to be, plus they're paying me hundreds of thousands of dollars for one year. Remember, Union is better and boxing is more important. And if you ever betray your team mates and supporters, never ever apologise. Only look out for yourself, be a selfish merkin like me, Sonny Bill.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Not as funny as Broncos fans trying to take the moral high groung despite their club leading the charge to try and destroy the entire game with Super League :)

As for our cap space, he has only signed a 1 year deal. What player would you suggest is better than SBW that we could have used that space on bringing to the club?

Rationalise it all you want, you know what I posted is true.

Danish said:
if anything he will be a great role model for the young kids at our club (he doesn't drink, party, act a goose etc).

Valheru said:
I can’t say his morals in terms of a contract are exemplary but other than that I don’t recall him being involved in any off field incident in any club he has been with.

:lol: That was someone else in the dunny stall with Candice? Or caught drink driving? Or pissing on a wall? Or smashing a photographer's camera?

Short memories in Bondi it would seem.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
:lol: get angry fella!

In a code where there are literally a half dozen actual woman bashers running about the place I really don't see why SBW would be the one anyone actually cares about.

What club is it that you support btw?

Brian Smith was a f**king cancer that completely decimated our club in the Ricky Stuart fashion. SBW has proven himself nothing but a great influence at every club he has been at since leaving the dogs, and if anything he will be a great role model for the young kids at our club (he doesn't drink, party, act a goose etc).

There is no reason to believe he'll have anything but a positive effect on our club even if he is only here for a season

Yes there are women bashers in our game, I dont think they should be allowed either. I blew up when everyone of them signed a new contract, and we have some at my club.

I support Penrith.

Im not saying SBW will def hurt your on field performance, or even that it is likely, just that it is possible.

I don't see how him coming back does more good then harm.

What message does it send to the kids when he f**ks off to rugby after next year??

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The amount of butthurt dogs fans in this thread is phenomenal

Their tears are bittersweet on my pallet

pallet2.gif

royce10

Juniors
Yes there are women bashers in our game, I dont think they should be allowed either. I blew up when everyone of them signed a new contract, and we have some at my club.

I support Penrith.

Im not saying SBW will def hurt your on field performance, or even that it is likely, just that it is possible.

I don't see how him coming back does more good then harm.

What message does it send to the kids when he f**ks off to rugby after next year??

Sky's the limit. Do what you want to do and be want you want to be. Everyone in pro sports is expendable. Milk it for all its worth I say.

Like the great Sir Charles Barkley once said, "People that hate you, is usually because their lives suck".

Latest posts